Original factory leather CSL 38cm Petri and hub for sale

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry Mal, but that one is incorrect BMW Petri 38 - this is actually VW Petri 38 with probably BMW hub (not sure because can't see, i only see proper hub cover for regular 3 ring hub). Horn button is Chinese Jet brand or so.

Interesting. Oh well at least it's from a German.
Any idea what VW it would be off? (Yes I know the button is aftermarket). What features make it a VW Petri vs. the BMW Petri?

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
Interesting. Oh well at least it's from a German.
Any idea what VW it would be off? (Yes I know the button is aftermarket). What features make it a VW Petri vs. the BMW Petri?
From VW Scirocco MK1, features - just grip finish, rest is 100% the same - stamps etc..

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
An interesting note - the CSL wheel i have sold is stamped 38 with the steering wheel logo on the back of each of the spokes, not just the one as i have seen before

Wladek

Reaction score
An interesting note - the CSL wheel i have sold is stamped 38 with the steering wheel logo on the back of each of the spokes, not just the one as i have seen before
All 38 Petri's Motorsport type (doesn't metter if it version: VW Scirocco, BMW 2002, BMW E9, or BMW E9 CSL), have stamped steering wheel logo and size on each of 3 spokes.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not necessarily Wladek. I’ve seen the early ones without any stamps at all and some with 1 stamp and some with stamps on all 3 spokes.

Wladek

Reaction score
Not necessarily Wladek. I’ve seen the early ones without any stamps at all and some with 1 stamp and some with stamps on all 3 spokes.
2x vw's and 2x bmw's 38's i has had stamps on all spokes, the only wheel that didn't was concave 40 audi Petri.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I guess there are no hard and fast rules. I think you and I are the only ones differentiating between VW and BMW Petri’s.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
2x vw's and 2x bmw's 38's i has had stamps on all spokes, the only wheel that didn't was concave 40 audi Petri.

I’ve seen many more Petri’s with a stamp on only one spoke compared to those with three (or none). I’m not going to try to unpack all the mysteries of these wheels. It makes my head hurt. Most of my assumptions have been shattered by JohnP
and Keshav, who have more Petris on hand than most.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
7002637A-D86A-49BF-B4DC-E49B2C155D81.jpeg
533D46DE-C85D-479E-A2D7-914E070072C0.jpeg
The Petris I have (a few) and all the others I’ve seen, all have the size and logo stamped on each spokes. There are two types of logos though, on my 38’s, they have the standard Petri logo (wheel with 2 parallel spokes), but on my 40, it is little bit different. The pics will show this. It’s a mystery to me. I’ve only seen this logo style just a few other times. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The one on the 40 looks very different to the common stamps like the 38 has. Haven’t really noticed that type. Later production year possibly. Maybe a VW wheel? The 3 foam pieces on the spokes, are they square or more V in shape. Also the foam wrap structure is more prominent on the VW’s as opposed to the smoother wrap of the bmw’s.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,
So to clarify is the only difference between the Scirocco Petri versus BMW Petri, is that the Scirocco version has a foam rubber grip and the BMW has leather covered stitched grip?

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi,
So to clarify is the only difference between the Scirocco Petri versus BMW Petri, is that the Scirocco version has a foam rubber grip and the BMW has leather covered stitched grip?
1. VW Scirocco - foam grip
2. BMW E9 regular 3 ring hub - foam grip
3. BMW 2002 regular 3 ring hub - foam grip
4. BMW E9 CSL 4 ring hub - foam leather wrapped.
Writing "grip finish" i didn't just meant leather or foam type grip.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Other than the leather covered 38cm CSL Petri, I believe all the other foam/rubber Petris, 38 or 40 are the same. Don’t believe there are BMW and VW specific Petris.

The CSL wheel has a harder stiffer core than the rest. The foam wheels have a really soft and squishy feel to them. Also, believe all the foam grip wheels have center rings spot welded to the spokes. The CSL wheel does not have this ring to the best of my knowledge.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Other than the leather covered 38cm CSL Petri, I believe all the other foam/rubber Petris, 38 or 40 are the same. Don’t believe there are BMW and VW specific Petris.

The CSL wheel has a harder stiffer core than the rest. The foam wheels have a really soft and squishy feel to them. Also, believe all the foam grip wheels have center rings spot welded to the spokes. The CSL wheel does not have this ring to the best of my knowledge.

It is muddy my friend. There is definitely oem specific models but there are likely crossover wheels as well. For instance, my one and only Petri is from an Audi, and it is heavily dished. It was never offered on a BMW. Also, there are plenty of foam wheels without the spot welded ring also. I have no answers but now my head hurts again!

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score

The CSL wheel has a harder stiffer core than the rest. The foam wheels have a really soft and squishy feel to them. Also, believe all the foam grip wheels have centre rings spot welded to the spokes. The CSL wheel does not have this ring to the best of my knowledge.

Yes Bert, I also don't think there is such a thing as a Scirocco Petri and an E9 Petri (unless one has a record of what car the wheel was originally on). The E9 hub is different of course, but for the wheel itself; spokes, foam grip, stamping is identical. So it's hard to distinguish/basically impossible what car the actual Petri wheel came off unless owner has the historic knowledge. Also the 'VW' Petri wheel was quite rare because came on Scirocco Mk 1 S mainly, so I don't think Petri would have made a special version just for the Scirocco Mk1 S?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is muddy my friend. There is definitely oem specific models but there are likely crossover wheels as well. For instance, my one and only Petri is from an Audi, and it is heavily dished. It was never offered on a BMW. Also, there are plenty of foam wheels without the spot welded ring also. I have no answers but now my head hurts again!

Yes, neglected to mention the one off deep dish 40cm Audi Petri. But that is a completely different ‘animal’ altogether.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, neglected to mention the one off deep dish 40cm Audi Petri. But that is a completely different ‘animal’ altogether.

Yes found on a car that is arguably too rare to produce a one off wheel. ;) Probably more rare than the CSL which has a one off Petri, but not as rare as the 2002 Turbo which has a one off Petri. Definitely more rare than the TISA which...

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have seen some differences in the foam on the spokes. there are some that have a 'squarer' foam tube on the spoke ... and there are others that have a taper that is reverse to the spoke. i have heard some people say that the reverse taper was VW and the squarer version was BMW. i do NOT know for sure, just heard this from some people who have a better chance of knowing than I. the image below is my 40cm. i have also attached a pic of the back spoke showing the symbol and the '40'. the leather petri below shows the 'squarer' approach ... i just don't know if that is leather only or if the foam BMW petri is the same way.

petri-2.JPG

petri-7.JPG

leather Petri.JPG