Toronto: 16" Staggered 1979 Open Lug Alpinas

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not mine. I have been talking to the seller Mike about picking these up. I was going to restore them and offer them up on the forum but the risk and effort is too high to make a few hundred bucks. He mentioned that they are likely a bit out of round, as evidence by some of the hefty wheel weight strips. Having them straightened would turn this into a charity raffle for me. :D I think he is a bit flexible on price, but the price is good to start with. Have at 'em!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/...al-turbine-original-bmw-low-offset/1327942024

Some pics from the seller:
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG

paging @Nicad

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Edges are pretty chewed up, price seems way too high to me.

Actually most of that is just paint corrosion. One wheel has some pretty clear curbage though. Also keep in mind that is in CAD. These are $1,500. Add another $700 for restoration and you are right in light with market value. Narrowly in line, which is why I didn't get them.

jamesw

Reaction score
I think the price is high too. I got a set that had light corrosion but not this bad for $1,200 US. Restoration cost for mine blasting and coating was around $300 I think.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the price is high too. I got a set that had light corrosion but not this bad for $1,200 US. Restoration cost for mine blasting and coating was around $300 I think.

If you are talking about the set that was for sale in Houston in January, that was a good deal. That sounds about right for powder coating. It costs more in Seattle but I have an inexpensive powder coater. I think Alpina wheels should really be painted, but I was going to powdercoat thease, skippping the lug section. The $700 figure I mentioned was for "restoring" the wheels. That includes fixing the lips and straigtening if needed. It's a different ball of wax. From what I researched, people are buying finished sets for $1,800 to $2,000 so $1,500 for an unrestored matching set doesn't seem too high to me. Too high "for" me, but not "to" me. :D