1970 e9 on bring a trailer

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm keeping my original engine, recently acquired some piano top pistons which will go in this summer to compliment the Schrick cam and triple Webers. Should give me enough pep to provide some more excitement with numbers matching.

I did not know triple carburetors was an option or could make that much of a performance difference. Is that something I should be considering for the next step of performance upgrades using my existing engine?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think unless it's a CSi or a CSL, does matching # engine really matter? Even w/the former, it's not that big a deal if it's matching.

That became a big deal w/musclecars (especially Chevys) because one couldn't tell if it's a SuperSport or some other high performance car because the VIN often didn't state the engine. So may clones posing as a real LS6 or COPO or 427 tri-power Vette.

For any non-CSL, give me a B35 motor that has an L-Jet intake (just like this BAT car) any day. 208hp is plenty and EFI (modern version) is plenty enough for me.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think as more people enter the e9 world, #'s matching will become more of an issue, it does in every other marque. I don't care either way, just my personal preference.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Triples require a little more hands on approach to ownership, they don't have cold start features and have to be massaged until warmed up. They provide a performance boost but more so a visceral experience.

I did not know triple carburetors was an option or could make that much of a performance difference. Is that something I should be considering for the next step of performance upgrades using my existing engine?

Dohn

Reaction score
Interesting question Scott. I really haven't tracked these options relative to value. But I can give you my personal experience/feelings. :) When I bought my car, the PO told me the car had a newer 3.5L engine that was implanted along with the 5-speed trans. I was very excited about this - free from having to be "original", and more power. But then I discovered that the block is numbers matching (even though it has been built with different pistons and cam). I was very excited about this, and feel the originality is cool. Evidently I get excited about a lot of things. :D

Torn between two liters, feeling like a fool, loving both of you, is breaking all the rules... :D

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
triples weren't a factory option, just a performance one. no webers were original. triples and a cam will bring the m30 alive at higher revs - putting more fuel + oxygen into the cylinders. that being said, if you go triples, go with 40 dcoes unless you build a radical engine. if you want to look more stock and you want more performance, consider weber 38 / 38's with a cam. the other thing about triples is that they just look so cool.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score

If you have plans to go to the triple weber setup... I may have one to sell. It is currently on my car, but I will possibly go for the B35 setup. I'm in no hurry but keep it in mind.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you have plans to go to the triple weber setup... I may have one to sell. It is currently on my car, but I will possibly go for the B35 setup. I'm in no hurry but keep it in mind.

Honestly, I have no idea what is involved with it but I just recently purchased two brand new Weber carburetors. Is it safe to assume I can use those in the set up? How complicated is it and how much more difficult does it make tuning them?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I changed so many things in my car that the engine swap seemed a natural thing to do.
Some day a numbers matching coupe may be more valuable as a collector car but I do not intend to sell my car so it is built for my enjoyment.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes they are plug and play, will allow use of original air cleaner and have a fast idle warm up feature.

Honestly, I have no idea what is involved with it but I just recently purchased two brand new Weber carburetors. Is it safe to assume I can use those in the set up? How complicated is it and how much more difficult does it make tuning them?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Scott -- BMW never used triple Webers on the M30 engines, and while Alpina and others used them on racing versions of our cars, there are no reference materials for setting up these carbs for a street car.

Having said that, I love mine. I know my 40 DCOEs were a nice improvement over the downdraft DGAV 32/36s I had on the car. I cannot compare them to the 38/38s and I know Carl Nelson prefers the downdraft 38/38s.

The triple sidedrafts are unique, sound fantastic and enable me to feel directly connected to the throttle. And they are very flexible because each barrel of the carburetor is adjusted to a particular cylinder of a particular engine. Of course, wandering into all this flexibility without reference materials can sometimes be daunting. You need to learn about how to acquire and interpret the data coming from your engine, and how changes in the various calibrated parts in the carbs influence your data.

That said, I launched into my setup with little background and managed to make my car work (with a ton of help from Stevehose and others). You can do it if you set your mind to it.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

Honestly you strike me as a good candidate for fuel injection or the new down draft carbs that you have now. Here is my thinking:

1. You drive very long distances over several days in mountainous terrain. Triples get very poor gas mileage. :)
2. You aren't well versed in engine mechanics, if you hit any issue such as the fussy starting that Steve mentioned or altitude issues, you might be pulling your hair out.
3. You just installed new down drafts.

Honestly I would enjoy the car in current form and consider a fuel injected motor down the road.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score