Bennyz Rod Shop Restoration

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This project certainly isn't my cup of tea.
That said, how often have we seen posted on here under other project threads 'it's your car do what you want.'
I take the view that it's saving one more coupe fro the scrap yard, which has to be a good thing.
Who knows but at some future point there may even be a thread on here with a future owner putting back closer to stock?
At present I'm not sure what keeps drawing me back to this thread. It's either a morbid fascination with the project itself or the commentary that surrounds it :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh my, shudder away. Note that most of these pages are from the responses. My posts are limited to simple videos and responses when called for. If you don't like this thread, or have problems reading more than a line or two of text, you don't have to read it. Not my car, just sharing someone else's project. If you'd rather I not share, that's fine with me.

Scott, you don’t have to reply to every comment and I wasn’t criticizing you.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This thread is now longer than my restoration one and I've been going almost a year.
Perhaps I should take this opportunity to announce I'm cutting the roof off to make it a convertible, welding up the doors and turning the original motor into an anchor?
Just kidding :)

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, you don’t have to reply to every comment and I wasn’t criticizing you.
oh, I thought you were.... ie., same criticisms from last thread. I apologize if I am defensive, but my last experience was not optimal. I am doing it this time just to share. Not my car, just for fun, or at least I hope so. I also am inclined to respond to most comments that I deem relevant. I just view that as polite. I reply to all emails too, even annoying ones. I will just throw up videos and try not to let the barbs bother me. Talk among yourselves. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Scott

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
oh, I thought you were.... ie., same criticisms from last thread. I apologize if I am defensive, but my last experience was not optimal. I am doing it this time just to share. Not my car, just for fun, or at least I hope so. I also am inclined to respond to most comments that I deem relevant. I just view that as polite. I reply to all emails too, even annoying ones. I will just throw up videos and try not to let the barbs bother me. Talk among yourselves. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Scott

Keep the updates coming. Don’t let the comments bother you. Posters need to rememeber that your sentiments around the c-pillars were “WTF” also (if they actually watch the vid). Post up any questions that the shop sends your way.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, i like the thread, out of pure interest. Thanks for sharing it. I'll continue to follow.

Someone made this choice, and puts quite some effort into it. An e9 is beautifully, but let's be frank, with 10.000 made its not a Mona Lisa. If someone would buy one, used it for racing and crashed it no-one would mind. Is this different?

Taking these drastic steps with an endgoal that you cant yet walk around when you concieve it in your mind takes vision or a blurred moment. Only when it's finished it'll be a reality and the best judgement can only take place then and there.
Good thing for all of us is that after this project, we all have an "in the flesh" version that we can walk around and admire or despise. And it didn't cost us anything.

I'm likely not gifted enough to see how such an idea would work out. For me personally, its more a gamble then vision. No judgement, certainly interesting, but I wouldn't do it to my car.

I think the british have a good saying for it; we agree to disagree? (On style that is). There is nothing wrong with that.
The world would be a silly and boring place if everybody liked the same thing. Would we all be driving the same car? ( a Toyota Camry...god protect me..)

Even if you wouldn't share it, the car would still be made, but we simply never knew of its existence.

Scott, thanks for making us knowledgeable.

Erik.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Think >30k E9s were made. Not THAT rare, but definitely desirable.

Just hope the owner keeps this E9 after it's done. Will be VERY HARD to pay top dollar for a would-be buyer given the mods I think this thing will have.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Think >30k E9s were made. Not THAT rare, but definitely desirable.

Just hope the owner keeps this E9 after it's done. Will be VERY HARD to pay top dollar for a would-be buyer given the mods I think this thing will have.

This post has NOTHING to do with Bennyz's second go around!!

Rob, Toyota produced 910,000 Camrys in 2017 alone. And that was just a year ago. With rustproofing etc. how many of those cars will be on the road 43 years from now? Few will want them, some will need them, but they will still be there.

But over seven years BMW produced only 30,000 coupes. So I will assume a conservative one-third of the coupes produced have died of terminal rust, many in the care of caring owners who knew nothing of the tin worm. That leaves 20,000. my estimate.
And let's say another 5,000 have been totaled. Now we are at 15,000. My estimate

I am writing off another 5,000 to gross neglect. Parked "out back" and forgotten. Parts cars one and all. My estimate

So by my unofficial, "let's say" count there are, right now, 10,000 coupes "on the road." The CS Register accounts for a small fraction of those 10,000 owners. We have no idea where most of the n0n-member coupes lurk or if they still exist.

People on this site have lamented the lack of interest by "the younger generation" in classic cars in general and our coupes in particular. As they become more and more expen$ive to maintain and restore, as parts become harder or impossible to find, as BMW continues to wink at corporate support, they will be buying Camrys or Ubering or....

I would argue that our Coupes are "that rare" and much more!

Steve

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
rare is a very relative term.

In my opinion, E9's are not rare, although also not as common as XKE's and other notable cars of the era.

CSL's are rare. Alfa only made 3000 Giulietta Spider Veloces, and only 50 which are Mille eligible. That's rare, and why these car can fetch upwards of near $100k ($175k for the Mille cars). Jag xk120 production was just 12k, and these are as nearly as common in classic car circles as a McDonalds hamburger.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Steve

Whoa, slow down there buddy.

I was just responding to Erik who said 10k e9s were made. Which is not true.

Of course what still exists are somewhat less, but just how many is pure wild ass guesses

restart

Reaction score
7339E16E-99EC-4599-BAF8-28A1DDCF3694.png
Snip

I would argue that our Coupes are "that rare" and much more!

Steve
No one in their right mind would ever buy some pos restored thing:p
https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e9/

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks like they all sold except the one with “Restomod” in the title. ;)

There’s at least one other RNM that’s not in that pic, but its fluid is all over me at the moment.

I finally twisted up the courage to look at this thread. Crazy how the diverse views and experiences represented here can’t look away & get so invested (or should I say, “evested”). Scott, I think we’ve got a show to pitch to Velocity. I’m not being snide or snarky. You’ve got content, eyeballs, characters, drama, and a storyline with an uncertain and potentially disastrous or glorious resolution.

I also can’t hold my tongue on something: I hope they aren’t really going to “sand” blast the sheet metal—it generates too much heat on the old steel and can warp it. If that happens they’re buying new skin. Less course blasting media or “dustless” blasting is ecomically available everywhere now. Using sand is an unnecessary risk.

Marc-M

Reaction score
In the UK we have a web site that tells you how many are either on the road or SORN ( Statutory Off Road Notification) --that means in garage off the road and not taxed for the road.

There will be a few more that are hiding away but...

When I put the BMW in, we have in the UK

CSL 73 left of 500 built

CSI and CSIa 47 left of 422

CS, 25 left ,I can’t find how many RHD were made, or these could be LHD?? - but I’m assuming we had 200 of them??? that fact needs to be confirmed as it was a guess!

So out of a production of say, 1122 RHD cars, we have left in the UK 145 so about 10%

But we do have crap weather here and every car is the 1970 rotted away....

Interesting site

see

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=bmw+3.0+csia

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In the UK we have a web site that tells you how many are either on the road or SORN ( Statutory Off Road Notification) --that means in garage off the road and not taxed for the road.

There will be a few more that are hiding away but...

When I put the BMW in, we have in the UK

CSL 73 left of 500 built

CSI and CSIa 47 left of 422

CS, 25 left ,I can’t find how many RHD were made, or these could be LHD?? - but I’m assuming we had 200 of them??? that fact needs to be confirmed as it was a guess!

So out of a production of say, 1122 RHD cars, we have left in the UK 145 so about 10%

But we do have crap weather here and every car is the 1970 rotted away....

Interesting site

see

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=bmw+3.0+csia

Is it possible to do a historic VIN search?
My CS was UK delivered.