History of My 1974 BMW 3.0CS

Matt Dusig

Reaction score
Looks like a nice example of a true survivor. Congrats to that find. I'm really struggling with the mentioned HP. Just a change of the Valve Train and the Alpina Airbox (sittin on Webers ???) doesn't give a regular 3 Liter engine extra 50 % power.
I also would dare to doubt, that the car never got a repaint. 5 POs and more than 40 years of regular usage normally show a different condition and wear of the car, than presented here in the pictures.

BTW. I've never seen such a weird position for the antenna. How is this gonna work out, since there's normally no access to that area at the A-pillar to screw it on. Might be glued ?!? (just kidding ...) It looks like, that the backward seal of the sunroof seems to be glued at the car body, while it's supposed to be attached to the sunroof lid.
I like the steering. Is this a 35 cm petri wheel ? I was considering this size for my car, but wasn't quite sure if I'd like the look.

Would be nice to have some shoots from the engine bay ...

Greets

Ingo
I've wondered the same about the paint and the interior, but I was very clear when I asked all the owners what they did to the car. I have all the receipts and documents for the car from 1993 to today. Somehow the original owner's documents got lost along the way. Amazingly, two of the owners I spoke to had a spare keys which they've mailed to me.

I couldn't verify the 300hp that the original owner mentioned either.

Matt Dusig

Reaction score
Here's the engine compartment photos!

upload_2018-11-2_18-19-46.png

upload_2018-11-2_18-19-55.png

upload_2018-11-2_18-19-29.png

upload_2018-11-2_18-20-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-2_18-19-17.png
    upload_2018-11-2_18-19-17.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 239

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautiful engine compartment but obviously not original (I'm a triple Weber fanboi) and looks to have been repainted given the decals out of place. My Polaris was painted in 1985, most metallics from the 70's failed and needed repainting.

Matt Dusig

Reaction score
Beautiful engine compartment but obviously not original (I'm a triple Weber fanboi) and looks to have been repainted given the decals out of place. My Polaris was painted in 1985, most metallics from the 70's failed and needed repainting.
Thanks for the info! I wonder which owner painted the car since none of them admitted to doing it. Where do the decals normally sit?

Matt Dusig

Reaction score
What others things tell you about the originality of the engine? I'm trying to learn myself. Thanks!

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
You might want to consider replacing the the Weber linkage components with the newer beefier components now available. I had the same vintage components on my triples and there was a lot of play in them. This was recommended to me by Stevehose along with some other tweaks to the Weber’s themselves and it made a huge difference in getting them running properly.

Matt Dusig

Reaction score
You might want to consider replacing the the Weber linkage components with the newer beefier components now available. I had the same vintage components on my triples and there was a lot of play in them. This was recommended to me by Stevehose along with some other tweaks to the Weber’s themselves and it made a huge difference in getting them running properly.
Thanks for the info!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris will be able to tell you for sure. My car had 38k original mileage when I bought it and my unpainted engine compartment had bronzed from heat.

pat cooks

Reaction score
The antenna screws on from the outside, same as my 2002 Touring, the cylinder head seems to have a 1982 date, very nice car, BMW only designed those bumpers because they were forced to, we never had then in the UK although we did get the E24 big bumpers on the highline,

Matt Dusig

Reaction score
The antenna screws on from the outside, same as my 2002 Touring, the cylinder head seems to have a 1982 date, very nice car, BMW only designed those bumpers because they were forced to, we never had then in the UK although we did get the E24 big bumpers on the highline,
Thanks Pat! Yes, the original owner wanted a faster car, so he upgraded the engine, likely around '82. He wanted an alpina-style BMW so he added all sorts of upgrades around that time. I plan to meet the original owner in early 2019 and I'll have a lot more info.

tmason

Reaction score
Very nice looking car Matt! The only thing I will say about the original bumpers is if your car was completely original than I would leave it that way but sense it not I would convert to 73 bumpers or at least collect the parts because they are getting harder to find even you don't go that way.

Matt Dusig

Reaction score
Very nice looking car Matt! The only thing I will say about the original bumpers is if your car was completely original than I would leave it that way but sense it not I would convert to 73 bumpers or at least collect the parts because they are getting harder to find even you don't go that way.
Thanks! I don't plan on changing bumpers, ever. The car has too much originality to make any changes, so they're staying. I like them.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Really pretty car. best of luck with it.
Matt, I would consider tmason's advice about collecting bumper parts. I know two guys who loved their big ones for years but have recently gone chrome. One was lucky, they were on our 75 CSi Barn Find. He also swapped out the injection. Loves that too. The other guy is slowly collecting. but these parts in decent condition, i.e. able to be rechromed, are getting really rare.

Did you read the discussion about how many coupes are on the road. The consensus of two of us is about 25% of the 30,000 manufactured. The door is closing.

Steve

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lovely car. Hard to believe anyone could get over 250hp with 40DCOE carbs. I’d say 45DCOE would be the minimum size needed.