Back to Zeniths

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Currently have Webers (with adapter to allow mounting of factory air cleaner) on my '74 but am ready to reinstall the original, newly-rebuilt Zeniths. The Webers have a thick, dark-colored insulator (almost like a resin material) under them while the parts diagram seems to show a typical, much thinner gasket? Any input re" the correct, original setup is much appreciated. Thanks.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Currently have Webers (with adapter to allow mounting of factory air cleaner) on my '74 but am ready to reinstall the original, newly-rebuilt Zeniths. The Webers have a thick, dark-colored insulator (almost like a resin material) under them while the parts diagram seems to show a typical, much thinner gasket? Any input re" the correct, original setup is much appreciated. Thanks.

this is an important decission,
may i ask why ? more precisely what do you expect ? do you know how the zeniths work and what is particular about them ?
can you describe newly rebuilt ?
how have they been set to table settings ?
who and how will do the tuning ?
how is your ignition ?

some reading,

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/hunting-the-carbs-problem.8569/

when you reinstall, you will drop coolant and you will have to refill and bleed it, do not forget about this

if you are interested in the tuning process this guy made videos

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! deQuincey, all great questions! Why? To revert the car back to factory stock. Expectation? To have the car run as it did when it left the factory. I'm not interested in modifications; I want originality. The car is so close to being completely original; I want to bring it that much closer. I'm grateful that the original Zeniths were included with the car when I purchased it back in 2005. Newly rebuilt by Jeff Palya at www.paltech1.com. He rebuilds and bench tests Zeniths to factory specs., and also provides technical support if necessary during installing and tuning. They will be installed/tuned by my vintage BMW mechanic. We'll also take care of any "while you're in there" items...

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Excellent work, I think...
IMG_1874.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that work is extremely nice ... almost a shame that it will be covered up by a big air cleaner

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! deQuincey, all great questions! Why? To revert the car back to factory stock. Expectation? To have the car run as it did when it left the factory. I'm not interested in modifications; I want originality. The car is so close to being completely original; I want to bring it that much closer. I'm grateful that the original Zeniths were included with the car when I purchased it back in 2005. Newly rebuilt by Jeff Palya at www.paltech1.com. He rebuilds and bench tests Zeniths to factory specs., and also provides technical support if necessary during installing and tuning. They will be installed/tuned by my vintage BMW mechanic. We'll also take care of any "while you're in there" items...

that is excellent news
if you have not had the chance to drive a zenith equipped e9 you will discover a new world of sensational performance
i am not surprised with the finish of the outer surfaces of the metal, means nothing to me, (like judging an egg by its exterior appearance) more important is to know about the internals, process and replacements, one can assume that if the outer finish is that good, the internals will be excellent, hope so !
well done
just keep us posted about it

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my guess is that anybody that gets it that right on the outside (the attention to detail) ... they generally get it completely right. i'm looking forward to hearing how well these rebuilt zeniths operate in the car

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The finish (both inside and out) is a result of Paltech's micro-polishing process; it removes the metal-oxide layer but does not remove material. It also seals the pores so the finish will last a long time.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The finish (both inside and out) is a result of Paltech's micro-polishing process; it removes the metal-oxide layer but does not remove material. It also seals the pores so the finish will last a long time.

i have seen pristine carbs (exterior) and horror in the interior in a concours restored car, allow me to be somehow,...
the secret process mentioned by this guy makes me suspicious, but if you have a fully documented overhauling,...
in any case wish you the best of lucks

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
After speaking with Jeff prior to sending him the carbs, and inspecting them after the rebuild, I can't imagine that the interior is in poor shape. Hoping to get the car in the shop in the next month; will provide updates...

stphers

Reaction score
They should be, the last set that I did, I got them vapor blasted , they were in about 8 or 9 separate pieces so they were done both inside and out The inside looked as clean as the outside. The fellow that did the vapor blasting on mine also ran thru his ultrasonic cleaner to make sure all passage ways were nice and clean. They have been on the car for over a month and everything works like it is suppose to, nice cold start sequence, 900 rpm at idle when hot, purrs like a tough kitten. Pulls nice and strong with no hesitation. On cruise, the engine just motors on. Used both my balancer and Gunsen CO tester to set them up. You can see in my post carb candy.

These carbs run really well when set up properly. Be patient, go thru the procedures step by step to set them up. Really make sure that all linkages are smooth and do not hang up anywhere. This car that I just did used to be an automatic so it had the spring loaded one linkage bar which I got rid of and made up my own with 5mm rod and the ends got from Centerline Alfa parts. Nice metal ones with the clips inside them. Jam nuts from Belmetric.

Been doing these carbs for over 35 years and each set have always run really nice after rebuilding and setting up.

Thanks, Rick