Not frame off, but close!

3.0seeker

Reaction score
We need some help identifying which replacement parts to order for rust remediation. The exploded views in the Wallothnesch Catalog are incomplete as the individual screens have more parts listed with a -00 suffix. Hopefully the images will be adequate to ascertain what we need.
Obviously new rockers are needed but the inner panel and bulkhead pieces are sketchy! Let me know if you need more or better pictures.
Thank you in advance, Terry

Attachments

• Lftrear1.jpg
    Lftrear1.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 517
  • Fendertop.jpg
    Fendertop.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 502
  • Lftfrnt.jpg
    Lftfrnt.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 495
  • Lftfrnt2.jpg
    Lftfrnt2.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 489
  • Rtfrnt1.jpg
    Rtfrnt1.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 490
  • Rtfrnt2.jpg
    Rtfrnt2.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 501

3.0seeker

Reaction score
Photos before media blasting.

Attachments

• Engcompt.jpg
    Engcompt.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 499
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 511
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 502
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 514
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 509

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not an expert on this stuff. From what I see you at least need outer rockers, center rocker, front floor panels, passenger side firewall piece, lower A pillar structures. You will also likely need the triangle shape piece that forms the outer section of the “fender box”. Likely the upper strut support piece (although it is very thick). Your inner fenders look salvageable at first glance. You can buy the support piece that ties the inner fender to the outer.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Frames don't actually are removed from this car.

That's an old term from cars that were not unibody and where the car body can be seperated from their frames.

At any rate, looks like you're on the right track! Keep up the good work!

3.0seeker

Reaction score
Car was painted and 3 coats of clear, (above pics). Sat for a week, wet sanded and 3 more coats of clear this week. Wet sand and polishing is next but this is straight out of the gun!
20190104_134741.jpg 20190104_134754.jpg 20190104_134818.jpg 20190104_134838.jpg

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looking good! Hot rod guys tend to be persnickety, and that's good. When we painted the polaris polecat, I realized how not-great my chrome was...etc...

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The photos of the paintwork look great, Terry! Do you have photos of the sheet metal replacement that you can share? It's always interesting to see the panel replacement, and nothing adds value to an E9 more than photos of properly executed rust repairs :D

Cheers!
Dan

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The photos of the paintwork look great, Terry! Do you have photos of the sheet metal replacement that you can share? It's always interesting to see the panel replacement, and nothing adds value to an E9 more than photos of properly executed rust repairs :D

Cheers!
Dan

Ditto! I'm getting close and need to start paying attention. :D

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've never heard of sanding clear after a week and putting more paint on. Is this common? I thought it needed to bond all at the same time.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that attention to paint detail is "old school" and from back in the day when everything did not cost so very much. This is an exceptional effort to get the most out of the process, in my opinion.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree with Dan......how far did you go with the metal fabrication??.....your car seemed to have moderate rust....I have just been down this path with 765 hrs spent on just metal fabrication and metal parts.......I am currently in the spray painters doing spiraling/blocking/and final prep (probably a further 300 hrs) before loading the spray gun for final spray. You would be surprised even after sand blasting what we found in behind double seams.........if doing a rotissorie you have to be thorough . Good luck