What not to do.......... or maybe?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
After so much of my car has powder coated parts, we'll I didn't do the Webers like the Ferrari I saw at Amelia,
you see I have this brass overflow tank. I know some of you like them natural brass. Just didn't fit my engine compartment color scheme and paint just didn't look good and was easy to scratch.

So I thought I would get it powder coated.
All my suspension, and many engine parts are black or silver.

I took it to the powder coater who after 3 years of this is a pretty good friend.
He looked at it and said I think this may come apart from the heat.
I said I had thought of that but actually had an extra so give it the college try and let's see what happens.
He turned the heat down on the oven to 380 and went home. In the morning the tank was on the floor.
He called me and told me and I said oh well we tried.
Went to pick it up thoroughly expecting it to be in 5 or 6 pieces.
Not, just the brackets that it mounts with and the neck had come loose and very cleanly.
Took it home cleaned up the pieces and got out the solder and flux and back together it went.
I did burn the powder coat some on the bottom where the big bracket goes because I had to heat such a big area. You can't see the bottom when in the car so I now have a powder coated overflow tank that will look like new for many years.

Attachments

• IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1869.jpg
    IMG_1869.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 283

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Definitely pressure test it before installing. I have a few that I need to do. I am going to take them to the vapor blaster next week. I’m just going to paint them. I’m also having new lower brackets cut via water jet.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why bother with powder coating when a nice high temp engine primer/paint would look nice and last a long time. That’s what I used on the radiator on my XK, and 8 years later it still looks like new.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just use SEM Trim Black or Uphol Satin Black, high temp not needed, both spray well and dry quickly without runs or sags.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My powder coater refused to do my tank. It painted it with a rustoleum flat black, and it looked ok until I spilled brake fluid on it.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I use Duplicolor Satin wheel paint. I have used it on Alpinas, Weds, and all of my AC face plates. Great spray pattern also.

BA60B3DF-4973-40C0-B0D5-5970F38D85F9.jpeg

JamesE30

Reaction score
I accidentally had my harmonic plbalencer powdercoated without thinking, wasn’t until after I realised it contains rubber and I had destroyed it.. oops

1FAF5BC6-C74E-44D5-B99C-523C1BA25818.jpeg

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I accidentally had my harmonic plbalencer powdercoated without thinking, wasn’t until after I realised it contains rubber and I had destroyed it.. oops

View attachment 62196
Sorry James, I did know about that one and painted mine. A good thing is that you can't see it.
Yes, all the Dupli-color paints work well and so do the SEM kind. My glove box looks like new with the SEM satin black.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
looks like you could file the solder off the edges to clean it up a bit
ugly solder job.
repaint i always use "rustoleum"
paint the absolute best

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
looks like you could file the solder off the edges to clean it up a bit
ugly solder job.
repaint i always use "rustoleum"
paint the absolute best

Um, would you like to come over and see if you can do any better than BMW did from the factory.
You obviously didn't read the thread very carefully but you looked close enough to see the solder along the edges.
I never said it came apart at the seam, in fact I said it didn't come apart at the seam.
I said the brackets that it mounts with came off and the neck. Easy to re-solder.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Um, would you like to come over and see if you can do any better than BMW did from the factory.
You obviously didn't read the thread very carefully but you looked close enough to see the solder along the edges.
I never said it came apart at the seam, in fact I said it didn't come apart at the seam.
I said the brackets that it mounts with came off and the neck. Easy to re-solder.

In defense of the statement (not the poor delivery approach)... I don’t think that your tank left the factory that way. The seams don’t look “ugly” but they may have shifted in the oven. The tanks are often repaired also. Looks just fine to me. I can show you much worse.

I’m not an expert on the subject but I have enough data points to make that statement with confidence.
E32674C2-DE9F-4FA7-B7D4-57AF2756A2A9.jpeg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think we found the reported hoarder.....
Code Black, Code Black. Markos, if you see the men in white suits coming those are not butterfly nets they are carrying.

PS: Why paint the overflow tanks at all. They look so beautiful in the Raw. And you can always paint them if you don't like them.
I love mine and proudly show it to all who are interested. Thanks to Steve Hose.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Code Black, Code Black. Markos, if you see the men in white suits coming those are not butterfly nets they are carrying.

PS: Why paint the overflow tanks at all. They look so beautiful in the Raw. And you can always paint them if you don't like them.
I love mine and proudly show it to all who are interested. Thanks to Steve Hose.

Yes, you are so right. That is your car and mine is my car and we can do what we want. The haters gona hate.
Is there some rule book we're supposed to follow?