BAT 1970 BMW 2800CS 5-Speed Baikal Blue over a red leather

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My favorite belt setup by far are the UK CSL belts...

I find that the face lift cars front seat belt set up is the neatest of all. The tricky part was getting the correct FL rear armrests, which I see Christoph from CS-werke is now offering. The reels have to be moved further up but that’s not a big job.
F0E0C34A-F9E0-4A09-B1E5-0BACAB96C32F.jpeg
0B0EFC4B-2809-42EE-A6DA-CC6D5E7C8AA9.jpeg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
RNM at $34k.

Man, the E9 market is sure odd.

Well...then again, Hargerty says 2800's run $25k less so maybe they know something the rest of us don't.

jmackro

Reaction score
Auction ended with a "failed to reach reserve" result. Bid to $34,000.

BaT poster ragtopdodge" summed it up nicely:

Man, the E9 market sure is weird. A car this solid, you would think would garner DOUBLE than the high bid. Possible the retina-searing red interior may have something to do with it.

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would look great in your car. Minus the console...
Yea, but then I would need a RED poodle to go with it. As things stand now, I have 4 standard poodles. 2 Black, covering the majority of the exterior of car, one tan, like the interior, and one silver poodle for all the chrome.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I love the red too, but not with that exterior color, which is probably why it didn't meet the reserve. Would have been much better in black, blue, or even white/parchment.

tightbox

Reaction score
I've always thought a Merlot dark red leather interior would look killer with a Fjord exterior.

Blue on red can certainly be done well, but it's all down to the subtle pairing of the hues. This car just missed that mark for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDH

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love it or hate it, not too long after the e9 run ended, BMW themselves went down this color path also. I haven’t found a single reference to the color in English or German on big coupe. I have stumbled upon quite a few early (e12-based) e24’s on craigslist with a similar color scheme. Bright red leather (not cardinal) with a red console. The color is Antikrot, as referenced here:

F8F8E1D4-6816-42D7-8E70-02A2CA0BEA87.jpeg

tightbox

Reaction score
The first and second pictures that Gransin posted above highlight the difficulty in capturing the true color of a red interior on camera.

I'd guess the second darker version is closer to reality on that car due to the white towels allowing the camera to pull white balance properly. 90+% of people don't know how (or can't be bothered) to set a custom WB on their camera for interior photos, so the camera hunts for any white/bright reference point in the frame.

The BAT car might have benefited greatly from proper photography - in an online auction, the importance of this aspect cannot be underestimated.

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When a car like this appears on BAT and does not sell I wonder if there is a way to contact the seller, this could be a good car for some of our members who are looking for a decent driving coupe