BAT MALAGA 1972 BMW 3.0CS 4-Speed

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos Buy this and sell yours. Move fast enough and the wife will never notice...:rolleyes:

Hah! I’ve past up so many amazing e9 opportunities over the last four years. I have the Ikea Syndrome for sure. My car is going to be “OEM+”. I would actually really like an absolutely bone stock e9, either an 2800CS in original form, or a spartan CSI.

I’m actively pursuing a CSI in town but I can only knock on the guys door so many times before becoming creepy.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
haha, seeing the latest prices going on BAT , most owners realize it's THE moment to get rid of....and cash $$$$$...before fall...
It's time to import Europ cars guys, at 1/2 the price….

Seen this with so many brands…. btw, how many coupes are there in the US ? as i see everybody is fighting to have one :D

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very lovely. Can't tell if the engine compartment has been redone or not.

I see some potential issues w/rust, but maybe just superficial. Again, a PPI on these expensive toys is a must (I'm one to talk, buying my E9 just from pictures; but it wasn't >$50k either!).

tightbox

Reaction score
@Belgiumbarry - I'm not so sure about that. Here in the USA, e9's have been relatively ignored for a very long time.

It may be the case that the more attention they garner - whether from auctions, driving out in public, or at the movies, the more the general awareness and interest is stoked, and prices will continue to rise.

Their long neglected status traditionally kept prices artificially low for such a beautiful and practical classic. Many were not treated as collector vehicles, making truly good examples far more rare here in the states.

*If* this upcoming movie is any good, I have a feeling we'll see another sharp uptick in coupe desirability once it hits theaters this summer!

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is the same car discussed here in 2013:

No images in the discussion but based on the mix of US and Euro specs and the horn button, it has to be the one. Does anyone remember the price? I seem to remember around $50,000 which was big dollars in 2013. Depending on the result on BAT, it looks like a very nice solid and usable car. That said, there have been an awful lot of RNM auctions on BAT lately. It seems summer is a bad time to auction your classic or has the market cooled in general?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
interesting enough i saw a polaris 2800cs in south carolina several years ago that was taken apart. the black vinyl seats had the same pattern at the door panels, the vinyl went to a straight vinyl at the top tuck .... kind of like the door panels

tightbox

Reaction score
Closing in an hour, but seems very light on comments. Wonder if the color is suppressing interest? Malaga is stunning in person!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the color is amazing - I love Malaga. I am kind of surprised at the string of comments between the seller and one or two potential bidders. It doesn't seem like the seller is hiding anything - the car represents well in the photos. It appears to be a reasonable driver quality car. I am surprised at the price level at the moment - but maybe it will climb towards the end. Right now it seems like a bargain in today's market...

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What's suppressing interest is lack of closeups of the under body rust repair. Looks like the front floors were patched and not very well IMHO. But the rest looks solid.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Definitely a coupe you can drive and enjoy for now but many of the little things it needs would drive me crazy. And that passenger fender seam looks troubling to me but there isn’t a good pic of it. You can perhaps judge the care it received in its last respray by the indiscriminate placement of underhood stickers and floor pan repair.

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting, putting $50K plus in and hoping for a fast 15% return - and that's gross not net (shipping, etc) - seems to be depending a lot on the strength of the E9 market, which is really hard to gauge right now, for any condition car. Not a risk reward-ratio I'd be taking on, at least not in this asset class. Speaking from this view as this buyer/seller views the car as a commodity, strictly a buy low- sell a little higher, it could have been an Alfa, Porsche, or lots of other makes. Well, the economy will contract one day in the near future, and that will change the landscape a bit, IMO.