Front seat re-stuff – advice needed

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am having the front seat bottoms rebuilt, the horsehair is starting to come apart
I am having an experienced upholster do the work, but I think horsehair is a new item for him

Can someone tell me in detail what to replace it with, foam over carpet pad maybe?

How thick of foam should I use?
Is a soft foam OK, in that the pad and springs do most of the heavy cushioning?

Thanks

Honolulu

Reaction score
I'd think that something like several layers yoga mat foam (dense yet flexible) would be useful, perhaps several differently shaped layers so you can give the seat a little more contour than it originally had, and a final topmost layer of softer foam for comfort.

If your springs are at all rusty, you'd need a protective layer over them so the springs don't cut into the seat foam.

The things I've used to restuff old seats in my 2002 days include a couple layers of used carpet under the vinyl. That turned out less than good, but it was a back seat, and no one sits in the back of a 2002 when I'm in the front. (Driver's seat too far back). Some recycled carpet foam (the type with the camo appearance) can be useful too. Hog rings can be used to secure the stuff if you have them, or light gage stainless wire.

Did/do Germans all have wide flat bottoms that fit those seats? I don't. Thus the suggestion to re-contour the pad using whatever materials.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The shop that did my front seats carved new foam for the seat bottom before installing the upholstery. I guess the guy used the old foam/horsehair as a model.

Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ruberized horse hair is available. I bought some when I was trying to install the rear seat leathers I bought from Gary into the buckets I had. It has much the same consistency as the original.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ruberized horse hair is available. I bought some when I was trying to install the rear seat leathers I bought from Gary into the buckets I had. It has much the same consistency as the original.

Thanks!

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score