Rear Ender

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
the unthinkable happened! Been awhile since I've posted, Years in fact but i figured I'd share by anxiety:( with fellow enthusiasts. Don't worry though I'm determined this story will have a happy ending. Last week I was waiting at a red light at a busy intersection in Vancouver, light turns green and I start inching forward. Before i know it i feel a soft nudge/knock from behind. I moved forward a couple more feet before i even realized i was hit and get out of the vehicle. I turn to my left as im in the right hand lane and see this international cube trucks tire turned right three feet into my lane. I see the smashed LH rear marker lens on the ground and then look up and see my drivers side rear quarter panel, tire mark imprinted and a dent the shape of a foot ball...................:mad:. If you happen to be on the corner of Broadway and Kingsway August 15th in Vancouver you would have seen a very irate man going on a strongly worded tangent in the middle of the intersection. Screaming "do you know what you just hit?!"
Anyway I calmed myself down and luckily the truck driver didn't take off and now im going through the insurance process. Any pointers before I visit the appraiser?
IMG-3378.JPG

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
the unthinkable happened! Been awhile since I've posted, Years in fact but i figured I'd share by anxiety:( with fellow enthusiasts. Don't worry though I'm determined this story will have a happy ending. Last week I was waiting at a red light at a busy intersection in Vancouver, light turns green and I start inching forward. Before i know it i feel a soft nudge/knock from behind. I moved forward a couple more feet before i even realized i was hit and get out of the vehicle. I turn to my left as im in the right hand lane and see this international cube trucks tire turned right three feet into my lane. I see the smashed LH rear marker lens on the ground and then look up and see my drivers side rear quarter panel, tire mark imprinted and a dent the shape of a foot ball...................:mad:. If you happen to be on the corner of Broadway and Kingsway August 15th in Vancouver you would have seen a very irate man going on a strongly worded tangent in the middle on the intersection. Screaming "do you know what you just hit?!"
Anyway I calmed myself down and luckily the truck driver didn't take off and now im going through the insurance process. Any pointers before I visit the appraiser?
View attachment 72438
I have faith that it can be repaired to your satisfaction. And your car still looks better than mine even with the dent in it.

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have faith that it can be repaired to your satisfaction. And your car still looks better than mine even with the dent in it.

I hope so I appreciate the confidence and the compliment. Just uneasy dealing with our provincial insurance corp. (ICBC) we have up here in BC. They can be difficult to deal with and this will be my first time dealing with them with the vintage BMW. Like I said though I'm determined :D.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a good paint match. Can you tell how much of the quarter they blended? Matching paint on an old car is an art. Well done!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Molding is NLA last I looked. Did they actually use the original? If so, I'm coming up if and when this happens to my Bav

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a good paint match. Can you tell how much of the quarter they blended? Matching paint on an old car is an art. Well done!
They used this new digital paint matching system that I’m not too familiar with. Yes you can see very slightly with a trained eye the area where they blended the new to old paint but the average person wouldn't notice. I figure after a good wax and polish it’ll be seamless.

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
Molding is NLA last I looked. Did they actually use the original? If so, I'm coming up if and when this happens to my Bav
No the damaged molding was replaced by a good used Molding I sourced through Bimmerparts.ca a classic bmw auto wrecker here in the south west (canada) on Vancouver island. Your correct about the part being NLA spent half a day on the internet to figure that one out .

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No the damaged molding was replaced by a good used Molding I sourced through Bimmerparts.ca a classic bmw auto wrecker here in the south west (canada) on Vancouver island. Your correct about the part being NLA spent half a day on the internet to figure that one out .
I am impressed and a bit puzzled. Your Bavaria is going into winter storage before the end of August. The last time I looked, enviously, at your climate there isn't much "winter" in your part of the continent. I live 50 miles north of Philadelphia, PA where we can have some wicked winters. I drive my coupe regularly until early December. And then, when the roads are dry and clear of SALT and the sun is shining, out we go.

Steve

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
Absolutely agree Steve our winters are no where near the ones you guys get on the eastern sea board. The way I insure the vehicle is for four months out of the year from May to September. What I’d like to do is get collector plates so it would be insured all year round A) insurance is very affordable with collector plates. B) I can enjoy it on those west coast mild winter sunny days just as you do yourself. Unfortunately the Bav still needs a little bit more work to qualify for collectors plates and it’s out of my price range to insure two vehicles with “normal” insurance coverage through out the year.

The only thing left I need to qualify for the collector plates is the trunk liner and tool kit. If you know anywhere I can get my hands on those items that be one step closer to year round insurance and much appreciated ;)

All the best,

Tim

restart

Reaction score
Hey Tim,
Here in BC you don’t need the tools or,trunk liner to qualify for collector plates. You cannot change from carb to fuelie tho and you will need your front bumper on;)

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Tim,
Here in BC you don’t need the tools or,trunk liner to qualify for collector plates. You cannot change from carb to fuelie tho and you will need your front bumper on;)

I went through the ICBC collector plate process before the summer. Everything past but they tagged me on the trunk liner and engine bay insulation. I had the bumper installed for the pictures, so unfortunately according to icbc I do need the liner :(

restart

Reaction score
Thank you for pointing that out!
I wonder whether they specifically want to see the inside of the trunk lid? Or whether a pic of only floor and sides would suffice?
Which engine bay insulation? Firewall or hood?
And regarding the trunk, the lining that is missing is for the trunk lid? Or for the trunk floor and sides?
email me if you need parts, [email protected]
I am on Sunshine Coast.372E4A74-0C1F-4E1C-AA37-845519FEA403.jpeg4040A4C8-BF1D-4EAE-B0B4-5EC9E18953F2.jpeg

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you for pointing that out!
I wonder whether they specifically want to see the inside of the trunk lid? Or whether a pic of only floor and sides would suffice?
Which engine bay insulation? Firewall or hood?
And regarding the trunk, the lining that is missing is for the trunk lid? Or for the trunk floor and sides?
email me if you need parts, [email protected]
I am on Sunshine Coast.View attachment 75717View attachment 75718

Well hot damn very interesting, really appreciate the info! I’ll email you with more details and inquiries when I have a chance to review the icbc report. Thank you Restart!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Man I am still missing a number of tools but Seattle is worlds away from the Sunshine Coast.

Last edited: