First Draft: 74 Changes

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good catch, thank you!

what is the relay under rear passenger seat, seatbelt interlock maybe?

Ugh, I’ve forgotten what all it affects. More than the nanny bits, I believe. I think @aearch or @Peter Coomaraswamy explained before.

1573094860708.jpeg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think also the spare wheel well and/or gas tank panel are different. In the smaller bumper cars, there is only a single vertical steel sheet supporting the wood panels in the center of the trunk, between the gas tank an spare tire well. In big bumper cars, the floor panels are different, as they form a square tube section running from Diff mount to rear body panel. I think this change coincides with the US bumper conversions. European E9 Post 74 I think retained the lighter floor construction.

Attachments

• 1972 CSL trunk panels.jpg
    1972 CSL trunk panels.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 114
  • big bumper inside floor panels + bracing.png
    big bumper inside floor panels + bracing.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 115

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ugh, I’ve forgotten what all it affects. More than the nanny bits, I believe. I think @aearch or @Peter Coomaraswamy explained before.

View attachment 80447

OK. It is the Starting Control Unit Safety Belt 61311357360. Not super easy to see in the pic b/c a bear mauled mine, but Gurt-Anlass-Steuergerat google translates to "Belt Occassion Control Unit" & shows up as #19 in diagram 72/7. http://www.bmwmobiletradition-onlin...el=7013&mospid=47811&btnr=72_0315&hg=72&fg=05

The good folks at 2002FAQ have a number of threads on how to bypass it. https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/t...-seatbelt-interlock-system-on-1974-bmw-2002a/ https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/95864-wireing-issuesstarting-control-unit-saftey-belt/ But, there appear to be different versions, placements & setups across models. Shocking.

mpgandco

Reaction score
Hi Chris
Thought I would chime in.You may have already stated this or not.In 1974 there are early 74 cars with Manual Mirrors,Two Piece Carpet and a normal CS Tool Kit.There are also late 1974 cars like my very late 74 that have Power Mirrors,One Piece Carpet,Newer One piece Tool Kit and also I think the Flash Light might only be on late 74 cars.Also I think late 74 cars also have a bunch of plastic plugs in engine compartment to plug holes where they shot sealer into the fenders.Owned my Coupe 40 years this coming year

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike, Thanks for chiming in, I was going to contact you. Which grab handles do you have? Windshield squirters with two jets each?

Chris

mpgandco

Reaction score
Chris
I should know this after 40 years of ownership, but as I get older I am forgetting these things.I will have to get it out of its Bubble to check these for you.I will check and get back to you soon,Great thread ,by the way!!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, edits made to first page, check it out. I'm not referencing changes to the chassis itself. I added carpet, parcel shelf, seatbelt relay, radiator temp sensor and coolant tank. If you have a 74 please check the grab handles and windshield squirters. It would be interesting to know when carpets changed to one piece as well.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one other thing Chris ... the FPS wheels were '74 only with different hub covers. along with the horizontal seat pleats, the front seat backs were seamed instead of folded + tucked.

mpgandco

Reaction score
Chris
Just checked my Coupe. Squirters are only Single Spray and the Grab Bar is not like the one you show but the other one that was posted earlier with chrome ends.I believe these to be what came on the car when new.Ask Jay what is on his car.Our cars were produced about the same time.All the "LATE" 74's I have looked at over the years all had ONE Piece Carpet,Power Mirrors,and later One piece Tool Kit.All of them had these three changes not just one or two but all three together.All the early 74's I have looked at had the Manual Mirrors,Two piece Carpet and the earlier 73 Tool Kit.Hope this helps

mpgandco

Reaction score
One more fun fact.Not sure if it is a late 74 thing or not, but on my car you can roll the windows up and down with just the drivers door open,no key in ignition needed.Do 73's have this feature?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
73s have this feature as well, at least post-Feb 73 with the window circuit breakers. Can we hear from 72 and early 73 owners?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting, I had only seen them on 74s. Do you have a source for the intro date?

I’ll clarify. I have seen a number of 1973’s with these wheels. Realoem confirms that they were available in early 1973. I can’t technically confirm that they were an option, other than they were available and can be found on some ‘73’s. The Hoffman manuals list the aluminum FPS wheel options as generic “Magnesium Wheels”, so no help there. They have only been available in Europe, and possibly only on the e3. Definitely available on the late 1973 3.3L, but that is equivalent to a US 1974. I’ll dig up a brochure if possible.

CA2EA3B4-68BE-422F-8695-352DB94CE631.jpeg