1973 3.0CS

LNGBRD

Reaction score
Steven Dortch, Lakeway, TX, via Bay area resident. I've owned 02's for 25 years +/-(72, 73, 74, 75) and a 87 E28 535is. Currently own a 330i. Now I'm venturing in the E9 world. I'm hoping there's some similarities that I am not totally starting over on the learning curve. I've agreed in principle to purchase an E9 in Miami, Florida. Apparently Florida is not allowing non-essential shipping out of state. My plan is to have the vehicle thoroughly inspected by a local vintage BMW specialty shop, Terry Sayther's. He has worked on my 73 02 in past. I'm not sure when it's going to show up but I'm trying to learn as much as I can before it arrives. Looking forward to learn for this forum and its members. Below is what my new purchase is supposed to look like...View attachment 89663View attachment 89664

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You'll find many similarities between the 02 and e9, although I think 02's are a little easier to work on, especially interiror/dash stuff. 50% more cylinders to deal with on e9 :D Kinda like they say - they're the same, just different.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Coupes are very similar to 02's. Probably the same engineers and leveraging design, except more rust falls on you when you're under the car...

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Agree with above comments...Arguably the biggest and most important difference is that the e9 is an early, full unibody, made by Karmann, (thus Dan's rust comment..) and the 2002 is not a full unibody, and was built in Munich by BMW's own factory. One's a tailback and ones a wide receiver, in performance terms. In aesthetic terms, one is someone's cute little sister, that doesn't mind beer in a solo cup, the other a beautifully elegant lady that prefers the proper glass for her wine.
Fortunately both have the same soul.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello @LNGBRD,

Please be careful with your purchase. The car listed in the photos that you posted has been used for scam FS ads. The pictures are at least 3-4 years old. I would ask for updated pictures, with something of your choosing included in the photo.

If I had to guess - Florida has no shipping restriction and someone is using COVID-19 to legitimize a scam. Vehicles are not shipped, they are transported. The interstates haven’t been shut down, but FL was monitoring travelers into the state.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello @LNGBRD,

Please be careful with your purchase. The car listed in the photos that you posted has been used for scam FS ads. The pictures are at least 3-4 years old. I would ask for updated pictures, with something of your choosing included in the photo.

If I had to guess - Florida has no shipping restriction and someone is using COVID-19 to legitimize a scam. Vehicles are not shipped, they are transported. The interstates haven’t been shut down, but FL was monitoring travelers into the state.
Hello @LNGBRD,

Steven,

Markos is our Snopes, Google Searching, Watch-Your-Back member. If we had a canine mascot it would a German Shepherd named Markos. Along with a couple of other guys.

Stevehose, I am a retired English teacher, but even I sense there is something wrong with your math. E9s " 50% more cylinders to deal with." Hmmm.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
50% of 4 = 2, 4+2 = 6. Good thing you chose English :p You might be thinking the other way: a 2002 has 2/3 as many cylinders as e9.

Stevehose, I am a retired English teacher, but even I sense there is something wrong with your math. E9s " 50% more cylinders to deal with." Hmmm.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
no, there is nothing wrong with the math
4 + 50% (2) = 6
there is a difference between counting up or reducing - for instance 4 is 67% of 6 ... 6 is 50% more than 4

(edit) oops, i see Steve has already responded.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steven, also, we get easily distracted off topic.
Ah, I see the error of my ways. Let me repeat: Retired English teacer. and let me add, who does not balance his check book. I do math in my head an unusual way that usually? results in the correct answer. So I thought, half, 50%, of six cylinders is three.

About balancing my check book, it's complicated, does not involve any math and it works.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello @LNGBRD,

Sherlock Markos Holmes wearing his deerstalker hat and checked cape in full action mode.

LNGBRD

Reaction score
The scam business has me abit taken aback. How do I determine whether this is legit? The seller does not have my money. It is being held (allegedly) in an escrow account until I have the vehicle inspected. Oh crap! I need to check on my money!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The scam business has me abit taken aback. How do I determine whether this is legit? The seller does not have my money. It is being held (allegedly) in an escrow account until I have the vehicle inspected. Oh crap! I need to check on my money!

I would alert the authorities and your bank. I know for a fact that these photos are old and circulated. Feel free to PM me to let me know where you found the car for sale. I saw the first scam with these photos from a FS site like oodle.com.

LNGBRD

Reaction score
I would alert the authorities and your bank. I know for a fact that these photos are old and circulated. Feel free to PM me to let me know where you found the car for sale. I saw the first scam with these photos from a FS site like oodle.com.
Car's home (allegedly) Langley, Washington.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Car's home (allegedly) Langley, Washington.

Hi @LNGBRD,

Here are examples of this car listed for sale. All are at prices too good to be true, which is a leading indicator of a scam.

Livingston, NJ - $15K

way-back machine for long-term reference:

Langley, WA $9,800

Way-back machine:

Gardena, CA Listing: $11,800 - license plate unmasked, linger description

Way-back machine:

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Plates are 1994+ California arts plate with a 1972 sticker. You can make out most of the plate in the bumper reflection.

720155E7-CA2A-4471-AB22-26FA7AFF88B5.jpeg
A3F0E24F-9FF1-47C6-BFDF-FEE98CD979FF.jpeg
1C5BC94A-D7AD-43E0-977C-542DACB1DBF2.jpeg
81C28324-C1CA-4F45-A5B8-8E3451F14482.jpeg
445011AB-ACDD-4BC3-933F-9D8D5CE38162.jpeg