TURKIS E9

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love the color, love your style. Where did you get the spoiler and could I get one to paint my color .
I got the spoiler from a dude called Forrest Kookle ....in Ca business name KOOKLEWORKS....he does a lot of panels and things for racing cars. Only works in Aluminium. A good fabricator. I didn't want to spoil the natural looks of the E9 with the usual airdam.....so went this way. I used a flat rubber strip with round bead on it between the body and spoiler.....tightened up really nicely.
31657_1_575x.jpg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew ...the car left Germany as a "Polaris Silver" then when it went to California one of the owners changed it to "Fjord Blue"........so with non matching Nos engine or colour I decided on Turkis 065.......have to say was a little apprehensive at first.
My Coupe gets color this week. This Turkis color looks green in the bright light and then blue in the shade when it is done correctly. My restoration shop is painting a large sample of the PPG formula #065 for me to make the final decision. What brand paint did you use? Drew

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a funny thing... digital cameras don't seen to know how to interpret Turkis. Depending on light to an extent, and I think camera sensor to a large extent, it can look very different under different conditions. Paul's camera is doing a pretty good job, but in-person, it's something special!
I found the same thing looking at several Turkis pics on my desktop monitor. Does your car have the OEM original paint?

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does your car have the OEM original paint?

I know that Oldenzaal used period-correct oil-based paint on my Inka, but I'm not sure about the Turkis. The paint has the same characteristics, so I would say yes. It's a bit soft and delicate.
I shot Spies Hecker acrylic when I did my MBZ many years ago. I used PPG acrylic epoxy for the trunk. I would highly recommend both. Very durable, hard coatings.

Paul's paint really "pops". Beautiful. It looks like he has done a terrific surface polishing for a perfect glassy surface. I'm just finishing that process on my Tii. Whew! That's work! I think I'll wait a while to do the same on the Unicorn!

Different shots, different cameras, different colors! Definitely changes from bluish to greenish depending on conditions, and cameras have difficulty capturing what it looks like at the moment. One of these days I'll break out my film camera and shoot a few rolls of film for comparison.

O'zaal Beauty Shots  (4).jpg
IMG_0675.jpg
DSC00229.JPG

Same camera, same spot, different angles of the Sun:
Cotaillod 13.jpg
Cotaillod 15.jpg
all_Mine.jpg

Attachments

• O'zaal Beauty Shots  (4).jpg
    O'zaal Beauty Shots (4).jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 197

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Coupe gets color this week. This Turkis color looks green in the bright light and then blue in the shade when it is done correctly. My restoration shop is painting a large sample of the PPG formula #065 for me to make the final decision. What brand paint did you use? Drew
Drew.........my painter did 1 grey Base coat 4 Tuerkis coats 3 Gloss clear coats. The clear gives the depth. The metallic flakes are polished on both sides (some are only 1 side) this picks up light and makes it change colour. (bit like a camelian :)) after 4 days hardening its was then buffed
1 grey Base coat 4 Tuerkis 3 Gloss Clear (2).jpg
1 grey Base coat 4 Tuerkis 3 Gloss Clear (4).jpg
buffed.
1 grey Base coat 4 Tuerkis 3 Gloss Clear (1).jpg

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I had to modify the exhaust a wee bit ( a bit loud and resonating). Now it's just right. Fitted a stainless muffler 2 in 2 out with baffles straight after gearbox and the 2 smaller mufflers behind that and then out behind rear wheels. The first muffler was pancake shaped and thus gained another 1" ground clearance .:) Even my mate "GAZZ" enjoyed a short spin the other day.
IMG_6910.jpg
IMG_6913.jpg
IMG_6911.jpg
IMG_6912.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
“ Even my mate "GAZZ" enjoyed a short spin the other day.”

thats great- you’ve formed an Aussie car gang.

i will alert the sushi bars.....

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah, here you are in the photo section. Paul drives like he's 17 again. Won't be long before I'll be able to buy his car from the police impounded vehicles auction.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah, here you are in the photo section. Paul drives like he's 17 again. Won't be long before I'll be able to buy his car from the police impounded vehicles auction.
GAZZ.........I am surprised you're in this section......now that you have taken delivery of "Junior" I thought you would be in the 2002 section :D:D

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
GAZZ.........I am surprised you're in this section......now that you have taken delivery of "Junior" I thought you would be in the 2002 section :D:D

I am a cross forumist. In this age of acceptance I feel I can take my seat on the bus. The BMW classic bus that is. The E9 and closely related bus. The E9 and .....oh all right I'll get off this bus.
Sorry to disappoint the MANY viewers of my thread "would you buy this" - one thousand and counting - some of whom are eagerly awaiting pictures when it arrives in its new home but elitist Paul, Mr. SHINY NEW TURKIS, has superciliously booted me out with his mock double grinning smilies. I am finding it difficult to type through the bitter tears and the gut wrenching heartbreak.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Turkis Glasurit paint with the restoration shop is coming along. We are also looking at replacing the black vinyl back speaker deck with matching tan leather. Do you notice any glare from the light tan color in your back window? That was the first question they asked me. I thought you might have the answer now that your Coupe is on the road. Here's a pic of my car with the windows still out. They were not satisfied with the finish on both sides and are painting the entire outside again soon. Thanks, Drew

Attachments

• IMG_1496(1).jpg
    IMG_1496(1).jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1497(1).jpg
    IMG_1497(1).jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1498(1).jpg
    IMG_1498(1).jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 147

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would think the glare would be noticeable. Black vinyl thru 73, carpet after that. You want the interior to be invisible from outside in that specific spot.