Bmw Pete’s collection

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The video and the thread truly made my day. Thank you for letting us into your garage.

Might have missed it or maybe it is in the next video, but I'm dying to know what that Ford Flex? is doing in there.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thx very much for sharing

Your 'Batcave' looks like the paddock lane from 2016's 100 Years of BMW at Laguna ;)
Thank you Shanon,

As some of the guys know, I actually did have three of the cars racing at Laguna that year, The Rally CSL, Levi CSL and JPS 635 - and then two cars on the lawn at Pebble Beach, Blue Batmobile and the Peter Gregg/ Frank Stella M1 Art car.

595F2573-A3D8-40BC-8C51-6F2C0E76F9AA_1_105_c.jpeg
5AAA4AE3-2BC6-43ED-BF99-3E1AC65631B1_1_105_c.jpeg
DFC481E0-DD03-45D3-8429-1E3D09299318.jpeg
13F878C9-5140-481E-BE45-DB73570E042B.jpeg
E2ADFBC7-9EE7-45E3-B009-82C96892D9CA.jpeg
696C318D-A3CB-4A90-9032-990AAB151895.jpeg

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
The video and the thread truly made my day. Thank you for letting us into your garage.

Might have missed it or maybe it is in the next video, but I'm dying to know what that Ford Flex? is doing in there.
Thank you for the kind words Jay,

Ok, well you asked about the Flex :) :) ....so here goes :)

Firstly, you are not alone, people who walk in often say "a Flex" WTH is that doing in here. There is actually a very good reason ( don't worry I am convincing myself here, not you :) .

I love Art and I love cars, you hopefully will see a little more in the second video, although think of the Dexter Brown 3.3LI in the first one as I try to mitigate my ownership of a Flex :) .

This was the car used by Automobile magazine and Ford to promote the Flex at SEMA and a few other events when the Flex was a new car. They picked Lee Quinones to paint it with a Graffiti motive as they wanted a "crossover" story on it. Lee is known in many art circles as the Grandfather of Graffiti, he was the first person to do major scenes on handball courts in New York in the 70s and became famous as part of the gang of five in the mid 70s, who one evening painted a subway train from back to front in one evening. None of their work was the ugly graffiti we all see nowadays, this really was amazing art and they all got picked up by major art dealers, with the most famous being Jean-Michel Basquiat, who's work often now sells for 10s of Millions.

Lee of course not in that league, not many are, but I have a criteria that should I own a car painted by an artist, it has to be a world class artist, preferably when the car was new and hopefully with the manufacturer involved.

I bet you are sorry you asked ? :)

FYI -Here is a Video when Lee painted it, one of my favorite parts, much like a lot of Art has come into being since it was painted, a piece of Art painted about the 2008 recession while the recession was at its worst, hence as you see the Wall street banker being run over by Yellow Cabs and showing at the theater is the "The Lying King" - oh and the tires, love the tires.......As I like to say "I can"t buy one of the trains, so this is the next best thing"

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Firstly, you are not alone, people who walk in often say "a Flex" WTH is that doing in here. There is actually a very good reason ( don't worry I am convincing myself here, not you :) .

I love Art and I love cars, you hopefully will see a little more in the second video, although think of the Dexter Brown 3.3LI in the first one as I try to mitigate my ownership of a Flex :) .

This was the car used by Automobile magazine and Ford to promote the Flex at SEMA and a few other events when the Flex was a new car. They picked Lee Quinones to paint it with a Graffiti motive as they wanted a "crossover" story on it. Lee is known in many art circles as the Grandfather of Graffiti, he was the first person to do major scenes on handball courts in New York in the 70s and became famous as part of the gang of five in the mid 70s, who one evening painted a subway train from back to front in one evening. None of their work was the ugly graffiti we all see nowadays, this really was amazing art and they all got picked up by major art dealers, with the most famous being Jean-Michel Basquiat, who's work often now sells for 10s of Millions.

Lee of course not in that league, not many are, but I have a criteria that should I own a car painted by an artist, it has to be a world class artist, preferably when the car was new and hopefully with the manufacturer involved.

FYI -Here is a Video when Lee painted it, one of my favorite parts, much like a lot of Art has come into being since it was painted, a piece of Art painted about the 2008 recession while the recession was at its worst, hence as you see the Wall street banker being run over by Yellow Cabs and showing at the theater is the "The Lying King" - oh and the tires, love the tires.......As I like to say "I can"t buy one of the trains, so this is the next best thing"
What a great story!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
@BMWPete, I enjoyed meeting you and talking to you at Amelia this March (what now seems like a long time ago). I admire your passion! I think we here on the forum can all relate.
I am not sure how many gearheads have both a Ford Flex and an Isotta-Franchini in the garage. But each car speaks to us in different ways, and that is what makes the world go around.
Thanks for sharing the collection with the Petersen.
Scott

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll show that video and tell your story to my wife. She always wanted a Flex so I got her a black and silver Limited for her 50th birthday. Or maybe I shouldn't show it to her. She's also always wanted an airbag suspension and blue LEDs under the car, I don't want to give her any new ideas. LOL.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Or she might want a carbed CSL!

I'll show that video and tell your story to my wife. She always wanted a Flex so I got her a black and silver Limited for her 50th birthday. Or maybe I shouldn't show it to her. She's also always wanted an airbag suspension and blue LEDs under the car, I don't want to give her any new ideas. LOL.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
@BMWPete, I enjoyed meeting you and talking to you at Amelia this March (what now seems like a long time ago). I admire your passion! I think we here on the forum can all relate.
I am not sure how many gearheads have both a Ford Flex and an Isotta-Franchini in the garage. But each car speaks to us in different ways, and that is what makes the world go around.
Thanks for sharing the collection with the Petersen.
Scott
Yes, thats was fun meeting you in person Scott and chatting, really the last major car event before the close down.

Yes a very odd combination, but both have mitigating reasons for why they fit, as I know your electric tastes understand:)

For anybody that doesn't know an Isotta Fraschini, this is me driving mine on the PB tour in 2017 (sadly before I blew the engine, long story). 1928 and only two owners from new before me
EDD923C3-1B52-4C8A-813A-23425FC80AA9.jpeg

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Love it. Daughter put my old CBGB t-shirt in the dryer last year. I figure I might be able to wear it again if I contract some terrible condition.

On the wall it looks like you have spare or different bodywork for the Levi’s car?

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love it. Daughter put my old CBGB t-shirt in the dryer last year. I figure I might be able to wear it again if I contract some terrible condition.

On the wall it looks like you have spare or different bodywork for the Levi’s car?
That is the original body extension pieces, which were pretty beat up at the time of restoration, so new ones were made from these and just maybe you can see each piece of the paint was meticulously measured for the livery it wore in 1975, when it won its most races, the measurements are still there

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a huge +1 Vince. truly made my afternoon. thanks for posting Robert ... its really great to have @BMWPete walk us through and tell the stories. how wonderful is that. so Pete, one question, the other racing collaboration between BMW / and UK - the McLaren F1

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've had the pleasure of driving with Peter and the NW E9 group a few times. Peter is a car guy of the first order...drives 'em, loves em, gives of his knowledge freely. Attached are photos attesting to Peter's cars on the road....

Regards

Ken
View attachment 95593View attachment 95597View attachment 95600View attachment 95604
Thank you Ken,

Always enjoy the beautiful drives you kindly organize for us E9 guys here in the PNW.

I think my favorite story of driving my cars was a story bimbill kindly reminded a few friends of- and one I will tell for years to come.

Just a couple of weeks before Pebble Beach in 2016, literally the weekend before I headed down, I took the Blue Batmobile on a drive on a wet day, not pouring, but on and off little showers. I often wonder how many of the cars on the lawn at Pebble Beach were driving with friends on a wet day a couple of weeks before the event and then go on to win an award?

Like all of us, l love driving these beautiful works of art

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After watching both films (and you did fine with the camera Peter, we're not pros for Lord's sake) all I can say is I'm thrilled that this collection belongs to a real driver/enthusiast, and not some blighter/wanker who only rolls a collection like this out for high end shows. While I've not met Peter in person, we've spoken on the phone a few times and online communication a few more. In short, he's what we used to refer to in NYC when I was growing up as a 'stand up guy' - I suppose the London equivalent is 'good mate'?