Bmw Pete’s collection

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of visiting with Peter two years ago and got to view his impressive collection. With only twenty minutes of video there must have been no time to discuss his four M1s it appears, including the rare M1 Art Car not owned by BMW. And yes, his collection evolves as I see the RHD Chamonix CSL in which I got to ride has been replaced by the Taiga CSL. And what a gentleman, which comes as no surprise to anyone here!

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Great video. In the past i couldn't reconcile his ownership of RHD cars but I now see Pete is English.. Yes, many Aussies will remember the JPS E24 driven by Jim Richards ...brought a European flavour to racing at Mount Panorama .

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to watch the video I love that @BMW Pete got to discuss some cars that are easy to overlook. Easy to get sensory overload in his warehouse - skipping over cars with tires under 10” wide.

The shots of the Alpina werks car bright a smile to my face. I stopped by to visit shortly after it arrived. If you look at the video it has a red tether on the rear glass, hooked to a steel cable. I asked what it was for. Pete said “I’m not sure let’s pull it”. Well the windows didn’t blow off the chassis but I’ll say that randomly tugging on straps on such a rare and valuable car gave me the chills. :D By far one of the coolest cars in there, as it is so incredibly original.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Holi Cannoli... Awesome stuff, and gotta respect a man who has the big Johnny Cash “F U” poster in his office overlooking the Lotus. :)

Beautiful stuff. Thanks for posting

Ed Z

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I first read this, I thought it was going to be Pete in Ct who has the old Bon Ami factory filled with cars and parts and won't sell a thing. I thought we were going to get a tour of his "indoor junkyard" only to be soooo pleasantly surprised.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing. It would be nice to take a professional film crew in and create a high quality version. The shaky camera got to me eventually.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IF ,( a massive IF) peter offered me his E9 collection of cars for zero millions, (to add to my families very tiny collection of cars)
on the understanding Peter cars are only to be kept in private storage ,not to be driven on the main roads

Then I would have to decline peter kind offer !!!!

My family uses cars to drive, not to look at !!!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
He drives them as well

IF ,( a massive IF) peter offered me his E9 collection of cars for zero millions, (to add to my families very tiny collection of cars)
on the understanding Peter cars are only to be kept in private storage ,not to be driven on the main roads

Then I would have to decline peter kind offer !!!!

My family uses cars to drive, not to look at !!!

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love this film. Great to see an Englishman with a large collection, as well as the knowledge and passion for these cars.

@BMW Peteyou mentioned you had some cars back in the UK. Who do you use to work on them?

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of visiting with Peter two years ago and got to view his impressive collection. With only twenty minutes of video there must have been no time to discuss his four M1s it appears, including the rare M1 Art Car not owned by BMW. And yes, his collection evolves as I see the RHD Chamonix CSL in which I got to ride has been replaced by the Taiga CSL. And what a gentleman, which comes as no surprise to anyone here!

Hello Everybody and thank you for all the kind comments. They really are very much appreciated as the few friends above who know me personally will tell you, I am just the same as you guys, a passionate car collector, who has been lucky enough to indulge himself in my particular passion to an obscene (as some may comment) level, but no more no less.

The Petersen approached me and said they were doing these "virtual visits" during Covid closures and that really wanted to do a BMW one. As some involved there at the Petersen know me, they knew they had a good chance of a friendly yes. They cannot travel and therefore they asked me to do it with my own I-phone, unfortunately I do have shaky hands that in itself is another story, so I apologized to them and in turn to all watching for the poor quality.

They have broken it into two halves, I expect we will see the second half next Friday. As CSL's are my absolute sweet spot in collecting, us E9 guys and gals may find next week very different, also I don't talk about every car, as not every car sits in this warehouse, but with my non stop waffling on the subject - my wife likes to say "pete can bore anybody about cars, but if its BMW, put the coffee on your will need it" :) - does mean I think I talked about a few that are not here, although they may cut that in the final version.

Chris, yes, the white RHD CSL left, if I remember correctly I actually picked you up in it:) One of the defining themes in my collecting over the years has been to constantly improve the herd, I have owned many Batmobile's to get to "the best I can find" probably the best description of that is my M1s, I have owned eight over the years and if you saw my first one, yes it was an M1, but "ridden hard and put away wet"would have been the best American description of it. With each car being a place holder and then sold when I acquire a better example. I still have place holders today, E36's are a great example, but in many others I think I have reached as high as I possible can for my wishes, desires etc.

Markos is correct - I do have a Dodge Pick up ( 2005 Rumble bee) but it didn't make the video, sorry Mark :) As my friends from back home say, its so American, but eh, when in Rome.......or Seattle area in this case :)

I do have to pick up on one comment, which is a very common misconception and I find unfairly judgmental. I drive every single one of my street cars and often, yes, they may be major award winners, but I don't think I should apologize for that, should I apologize because they are nice to look at, the best I can find to both look at and condition, after spending a lifetime in both acquiring the money to build the collection and a lifetime of knowledge.? Apologies, if my rant on this subject is harsh, but I grew up very poor and worked hard to make what I have and am I somehow now "judged" against other passionate collectors as somehow unworthy, that others prefer to drive, not to just look at? . Maybe this is simply a symptom of todays social media world, where judgements are made without actually knowing the person. The people that know me know. Apologies ladies on the forum, but I believe not driving the cars is like saving your wife for the next guy. I will now shut up on the subject, but as you may see its one that does get me to climb on my soap box and we all have those sensitive buttons that can be pushed.

Hi Michael Kaye, yes, I do have some back home, but only race cars and while he is extremely well respected in the race car world on our CSL's, I mean I sent the Rally CSL from here to him, because of his history and knowledge - he probably has enough work and projects to last him out the rest of his days of wrenching. Like you and a few of our fellow E9 lovers, the Rally CSL for me is definitely my most precious E9.

Thank you again everybody, I know I am lucky, but sharing the passion with other like minded folk is what this hobby is about and its a pleasure to do it with the few here I know personally as friends

Last edited: