Attention triple Weber users - custom air filter project

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've come across a machinist, Tim Jason, who makes what appear to be very high quality and tasteful air cleaner assemblies for 2002's and other cars. I contacted him to see if he'd consider making a setup for M30's for e9/e3 et al. For the triples I envision using the Alpina-type elbows mated to a custom horizontal flat air cleaner assembly as seen below but in 6 cylinder version. Koogleworks makes this for M10's but doesn't have time or desire to expand on the offering. Note the built in ram tubes. I'm tired of the foam socks and lack of factory look, and I can't justify the cost of a real Alpina system which I lust after. Have a look at this and let me know if you'd be interested in one (of course price and fitment issues need to be worked out) and any other feedback to see about putting together a group buy. I'm happy to be the guinea pig and arrange. All CNC aluminum. He can do the black crackle powder coat or unfinished aluminum, depending on your valve cover. Elbows shown are stainless, considering aluminium for even less weight. He also offers individual air cleaner assemblies as shown in last pic right now if those are of interest. Overall, I think it would be a really clean, factory look for triples, and still let the music out. My initial thought is to consider making the BMW text a little smaller. Overall, what do you all think - any interest and/or ideas?

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_20170210_101444501.jpg

Individual.png

Indevidual 2.png

Tim's Instagram for more pics:

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It sure looks like an elegant solution. And more robust than the foam products currently available.

jmackro

Reaction score
He also offers individual air cleaner assemblies as shown in last pic right now if those are of interest.

But would those individual filters clear the e9/e3 brake booster at the middle carb position?

Certainly a single, six port unit would be more elegant. Agree that the "BMW" logo could get scaled down a bit, but that's a detail.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe it will clear, it features the Alpina style elbows. Anyway, we'd design it to clear. Not much interest though, I think it's very nice looking, better than ramflo's or socks etc. Doesn't need a csi airbox like the Alpina rig does, and lighter also. Not knocking the Alpina setup, I lust for one.

But would those individual filters clear the e9/e3 brake booster at the middle carb position?

Certainly a single, six port unit would be more elegant. Agree that the "BMW" logo could get scaled down a bit, but that's a detail.

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve--I think the triple air cleaner is a great idea. My valve cover in satin black so it would match the top if the "BMW" was the same size or slightly smaller. I have a Korman DCOE intake manifold. The Lynx semi-circular foam air cleaners just fit next to the center carb and stock brake booster. (pic below) We need to measure the clearance to make sure the 90degree tubes fit. Here's a pic of how Alpina used 3 air cleaners in an Alpina CS that belongs to a friend here in Ft. Lauderdale. The bottom pic is an Alpina engine in an Alpina 3.0Si. The 3 air cleaner design must have been before they came up with the large triangular box. Again, I'm in if the air cleaner is being made. I like the fact that it doesn't cover the engine.---Drew

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1550(1).jpg
    IMG_1550(1).jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1549(1).jpg
    IMG_1549(1).jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1554(1).jpg
    IMG_1554(1).jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 237

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Semi related: I once made a fiberglass replica of the 2002 Alpina intake. I didn't have one to copy, this was entirely done from pictures. It could certainly be done for the E9 intake, but fiberglass is really hard work, and you probably couldn't mass produce them with the Alpina name on them (I joked about selling them as "PIÑALA " brand and including the letters separately for the user to glue on).

Those aluminum filters are beautiful, and I bet they sound great. I just wish there was some way to not ingest hot air with that type of filter.

Layne's iphone 4 224.JPG
Layne's iphone 4 225.JPG
Layne's iphone 4 189.JPG
Layne's iphone 4 191.JPG

JamesE30

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but the discussion of the VGS airbox recently had me thinking again about open filters vs Alpina airbox.

I see above the “old” Alpina set up with three seperate filters, and while it looks a bit unrefined and could definitely be done better, I do like the simplicity of it..

I‘m sure it was something Alpina probably just threw together quickly back in the day.

I’ve not seen those filters documented before but I did come across this guy in Germany with the exact same filters even with the matching red paint and stickers coincidentally

Thought is would be interesting to share here another example of those filters :)

D4596E88-BFBE-490A-9A5B-A49D6E1808F1.jpeg
1F015F3D-5169-4A1F-8943-67F0EF7E9FA2.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this thread.

In any event, I would be interested in the idea Steve was originally pursuing, but it seems like there were not a lot of other takers. Korman was showing something very similary to the two carb units Tim has on his site at the Vintage a couple of years ago, only Korman had them powder coated in red. They did not show any interest in doing a three carb version.

Tim's individual carb version with the Alpina style elbows and three individual covers looks interesting.

daddywad

Reaction score
Some great ideas on this subject. Don't forget if you want to go with the big triangular Alpina style airbox, I still make them along with the elbows and manifolds. Strut braces too.

DSC_0317.JPG
DSC_0313.JPG
DSC_0297 (2) (1).jpg
DSC_0300.jpg
2013-12-28 10.41.18.jpg
2013-12-28 10.40.59.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome back Mark! Although I was digging the alpina design, let’s be clear. The alpina box is beautiful and well engineered. Your reproduction is a work of art. I’m looking forward to dressing up my motor with it someday.

Some great ideas on this subject. Don't forget if you want to go with the big triangular Alpina style airbox, I still make them along with the elbows and manifolds. Strut braces too.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Alpina box goes into a filter housing. What does that look like a where is it mounted? I assume the fresh air comes from the passenger side "snorkel". Does anyone have pics of the complete assembly?

daddywad

Reaction score
Welcome back Mark! Although I was digging the alpina design, let’s be clear. The alpina box is beautiful and well engineered. Your reproduction is a work of art. I’m looking forward to dressing up my motor with it someday.
Thank Markos, its been a long drag to get back !

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Goes into a CSi air cleaner box, same location.

View attachment 105984
I’ll bet you could get a few more HP from Mark’s setup if you removed your p-side high beam and added a second cool air pickup to feed an enlarged snorkel and air filter box snout. You could compensate by using a 100w high beam bulb in the D-side.

But does anyone need that much HP?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wel... sort of.
A few years ago Simone mentioned the Alpina setup yielded a few less HP that a setup with big velocity stacks K&N filters on each of the carbs .

I was trying to say those who worry about those few lost HP could get them back and still enjoy the amazing asthetics of This upgrade.

Rouge

Reaction score
these are great initiatives and the styling is quite interesting, but I think the fact that the engine sucks hot air coming out of the radiator penalizes the power more than anything else.
currently I equip my car with a Daddywadkit.
Very good build quality.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
these are great initiatives and the styling is quite interesting, but I think the fact that the engine sucks hot air coming out of the radiator penalizes the power more than anything else.
currently I equip my car with a Daddywadkit.
Very good build quality.

I’m not following @Rouge. The kit that @Stevehose installed uses a factory CSI airbox, same as the alpina/daddywad setup. With that said, where are you getting the hot air idea from? Are you referring to the golf above?