Attention triple Weber users - custom air filter project

Stevehose

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've come across a machinist, Tim Jason, who makes what appear to be very high quality and tasteful air cleaner assemblies for 2002's and other cars. I contacted him to see if he'd consider making a setup for M30's for e9/e3 et al. For the triples I envision using the Alpina-type elbows mated to a custom horizontal flat air cleaner assembly as seen below but in 6 cylinder version. Koogleworks makes this for M10's but doesn't have time or desire to expand on the offering. Note the built in ram tubes. I'm tired of the foam socks and lack of factory look, and I can't justify the cost of a real Alpina system which I lust after. Have a look at this and let me know if you'd be interested in one (of course price and fitment issues need to be worked out) and any other feedback to see about putting together a group buy. I'm happy to be the guinea pig and arrange. All CNC aluminum. He can do the black crackle powder coat or unfinished aluminum, depending on your valve cover. Elbows shown are stainless, considering aluminium for even less weight. He also offers individual air cleaner assemblies as shown in last pic right now if those are of interest. Overall, I think it would be a really clean, factory look for triples, and still let the music out. My initial thought is to consider making the BMW text a little smaller. Overall, what do you all think - any interest and/or ideas?

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_20170210_101444501.jpg

Individual.png

Indevidual 2.png

Tim's Instagram for more pics:

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It sure looks like an elegant solution. And more robust than the foam products currently available.

jmackro

Reaction score
He also offers individual air cleaner assemblies as shown in last pic right now if those are of interest.
But would those individual filters clear the e9/e3 brake booster at the middle carb position?

Certainly a single, six port unit would be more elegant. Agree that the "BMW" logo could get scaled down a bit, but that's a detail.

Stevehose

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I believe it will clear, it features the Alpina style elbows. Anyway, we'd design it to clear. Not much interest though, I think it's very nice looking, better than ramflo's or socks etc. Doesn't need a csi airbox like the Alpina rig does, and lighter also. Not knocking the Alpina setup, I lust for one.

But would those individual filters clear the e9/e3 brake booster at the middle carb position?

Certainly a single, six port unit would be more elegant. Agree that the "BMW" logo could get scaled down a bit, but that's a detail.

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Reaction score
Steve--I think the triple air cleaner is a great idea. My valve cover in satin black so it would match the top if the "BMW" was the same size or slightly smaller. I have a Korman DCOE intake manifold. The Lynx semi-circular foam air cleaners just fit next to the center carb and stock brake booster. (pic below) We need to measure the clearance to make sure the 90degree tubes fit. Here's a pic of how Alpina used 3 air cleaners in an Alpina CS that belongs to a friend here in Ft. Lauderdale. The bottom pic is an Alpina engine in an Alpina 3.0Si. The 3 air cleaner design must have been before they came up with the large triangular box. Again, I'm in if the air cleaner is being made. I like the fact that it doesn't cover the engine.---Drew

Attachments

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Semi related: I once made a fiberglass replica of the 2002 Alpina intake. I didn't have one to copy, this was entirely done from pictures. It could certainly be done for the E9 intake, but fiberglass is really hard work, and you probably couldn't mass produce them with the Alpina name on them (I joked about selling them as "PIÑALA " brand and including the letters separately for the user to glue on).

Those aluminum filters are beautiful, and I bet they sound great. I just wish there was some way to not ingest hot air with that type of filter.

Layne's iphone 4 224.JPG
Layne's iphone 4 225.JPG
Layne's iphone 4 189.JPG
Layne's iphone 4 191.JPG