Walloth Nesch feedback

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As I get further into my restoration, I continue to learn not only about my car but also the resources available to me/us. With a recent discovery and communication fresh in my mind, I thought it would be worthwhile to share what I've experienced with Walloth Nesch.

I'll admit, this is going to sum us as a disappointment in their products, although that is not really my intent. I have come to find WN a wonderful resource for us as we maintain, care for and restore our cars. I have far more good stories than bad. But this post address two shortcomings that I'd like to make folks aware of. One has already been discussed. The other may be new information. And they both have to do with sheet metal.

REAR FLOOR PATCH PANELS
As outlined in detail in the past by @eriknetherlands I have confirmed that the rear floor panel pieces do not align well with the stiffener ribs in the existing floor. This is not an easy fix to flatten and shift these ribs, though I am currently contemplating a couple of different solutions. Anyway, I happened to write WN to share this info and I found their response interesting. They basically said that the ribs are in different locations depending on the year of the car. I honestly don't know if this is true, but find it hard to believe that BMW created different floor panel geometry year-to-year for a car that basically remained consistent. Perhaps from '73 to '74, along with some other chassis upgrades? I'd be interested to learn if anyone else has information about this (or measurements from various years of production of these ribs. If this is true, at the very least WN should provide this information on the website as one is contemplating ordering these panels.

REAR WHEEL ARCH PATCH PANELS
This one bugs me. My rear wheel arches have been fussed with, and I plan on patching in new wheel arches. WN makes/sells these and they look good in concept. The overall fitment seems good as I've test fitted thus far. But there are differences between the Left and Right panels I have. Specifically, the flatter section of the patch (the area above the wheel arch/lip) on one side has wrinkled pretty significantly. I chalk this up to the metal deforming/wrinkling when it was stamped. Since the other side looks good (no wrinkles) I wondered if I just had a bad part. But when I contacted WN they told me that they don't have perfect ones for the bad side. Essentially, they know that the parts are wrinkled, but that is what they have and that is what you are going to get? Here again, perhaps a note on the part description that the patch metal above the lip itself may be deformed. At least there would be transparency.

Pictures attached of the wheel arch.
20201220-02-wheel arch wrinkles.jpg20201220-03-wheel arch wrinkles.jpg20201220-04-wheel arch wrinkles.jpg

Again, this is not too much of a rip on WN. I will no doubt order thousands more dollars of parts from them. But I hope this alerts others about what you might get when ordering sheet metal from WN.

On the good side, I ordered the entire rear panel (trunk lid to lower valence, left to right fender/quarter) and it was an original BMW replacement part. That has happened a few times, in fact. I am very pleased with that.

I look forward to learning of others' experiences and info.
Stephen

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
They basically said that the ribs are in different locations depending on the year of the car.
Since they know there's a difference they should sell them for a specific year or offer two versions. They gave a non-answer. The wrinkled side panel would really irritate me. It's difficult to get a panel like that really straight using filler.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's difficult to get a panel like that really straight using filler.
Perhaps even more difficult as I plan on shrinking and wheeling out the wrinkles so as to avoid needing much filler.

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
All I can say after having bought half an e9 in parts from W&N, is that there seems to be quite a difference in fit and form between different batches of parts that they recieve from whoever produces their parts. Some parts that I ordered were actually useless, but say a year later I could hear how great that same part was from discussions on this forum, and vice versa, something that were close to perfect in my case, were useless later on for someone else.

They do know about this, and it's a problem for sure, but not enough people can be complaining since it's still happening.

BUT ! The overwhelming majority of the parts are/were still good, and they were always very helpful when something went wrong.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not very encouraging. Thought the rear pans would be the best ones to get.

Wonder if Mike Pelly's is any better: http://www.alfaparts.net/bmwcs.htm
The alfa parts rear floors don't include the ribs - they are very small and should work as a patch "just" for the dropped pan. I have the front floor panels coming from them and will report on their accuracy/fitment. Conversely, WN's front floors have no ribbing nor stampings, so they need a lot of work or can be used effectively only for the dropped pan. There are full floors that come from Poland, I think. That might be the best bet, but they looked expensive and I can't imagine the shipping on top of that. So I am trying to work with alfa parts and WN (along with a lot of fab time).

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
You probably meant "Tłocznia Blach" (eng. Steel Press):

They are very expensive but I was told some others in Poland are also making E9 floor panels (Silesian Region).

I haven't nail them down so far (in progress).

I have few metal-rubber parts from WN which I acquired with some leftovers from E9 resto project but I'm not sure if they are worth to be mounted as they have not been used in the restored car. Strange.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
You probably meant "Tłocznia Blach" (eng. Steel Press):

They are very expensive but I was told some others in Poland are also making E9 floor panels (Silesian Region).

I haven't nail them down so far (in progress).

I have few metal-rubber parts from WN which I acquired with some leftovers from E9 resto project but I'm not sure if they are worth to be mounted as they have not been used in the restored car. Strange.

If they save you a ton of time, may be worth it? Has anyone here used their stuff? @sfdon has used their floor plugs.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are not very far from me.

I'm not sure some of the parts WN is selling are not from them but this is only due to the color of the protective paint.

It is interesting if anyone from the Members was buying from them