1972 CSL $388,000!

shanon

Reaction score
Very nice, but.......

I wanna see the period event pics. They are mentioned but not present (that i could see on listing)
Not saying it isn't true, I don't know the car or seller, but anyone could tell a tall tale.........

Sharing a couple old period event pics mentioned cant hurt the sale only strengthen it and enhance the 'bitchin' factor ;)

m73

Reaction score
This is the thing....when you are asking MAX money should you not have MAX value on the (4x) items making the only contact with the road?

10 hole Alpinas + Sprint Classic

or

Alpina + Michelin (original to car)

or is this a show car only -- still this is an important detail...... :rolleyes:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are a lot of little things to tinker on this one as well, if one were so inclined. Only one item that I can’t unsee.

Before I get to that, the facebook posts on this car does highlight just how detailed the restoration was.

Back on point. I think the rear bumper needs adjusting. Perhaps it’s just me but the whole rear end looks a little cockeyed, including but not limited to the tow hook. Everything from the tails up looks straight, save for the passenger seat.

8389935B-7F95-4585-8FF6-E2710E0E6CBA.jpeg
F99569E8-0866-41BF-B6FA-BA6EBFC0615D.jpeg

A legitimate note to self. I am planning a similar package in Colorado. It seems that a bright orange tire well (as seen above) looks odd below a black balance.

Paint the tire well black, as seen below:
35146255-FF6E-4DF4-8CA3-60D8276B080E.jpeg

shanon

Reaction score
Wonder where Dad's triple webers went...?!

Again, want to see the period pics. ;)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did not read the name of the poster in the comment above about some do drive their Pitch Perfect e9coupes. Was going to post, "talk to BMW Pete." The Ultimate Driver.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Seems lofty. I'm partial to the later Batwings for that kind of coin. Inka is cool, but $400k for an E9...I think I'd rather have an M1 for a BMW collectible.

shanon

Reaction score
Thx Markos, looks like Dad had some fun.

Again, some old race/paddock pics would be neat. The resto pics show the motor had triple DCOEs and was flared in the rear?

Question to the group: would you restore back to 'showroom' condition or would you have kept some of the 'period/performance' modifications?

bmw 30 csl 2212341  bulgarian race m30.jpg
bmw 30 csl 2212341 flared.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Heresy, but I would keep the orignal 2 carbs in a box and Alpina the induction, keep everything else stock. Ok maybe a hotter cam. Keep the original. You get the picture. I'd drive it.

Thx Markos, looks like Dad had some fun.

Again, some old race/paddock pics would be neat. The resto pics show the motor had triple DCOEs and was flared in the rear?

Question to the group: would you restore back to 'showroom' condition or would you have kept some of the 'period/performance' modifications?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think $400K is where carb CSL’s in top shape should be. That is where they were for a brief time. IMO, it is the most difficult CSL to value and sell.

$175K for one that is pretty but needs a conservative $50K just to “look” correct.

Bonhams had an e9coupe alumni car valued at $377K that was RNM, but ultimately sold to a CA owner. I don’t know the price, but still needed quite a bit. One can assume that it would for well over $200K.

I know of at least two under restoration right now. One in the US, one in europe.

A total of three inka lightweights are on the market:

2211711 is for sale:

Then there is this one that Oldenzaal will be listing soon. I don’t have the VIN of this 221XX but it is near identical to the one in this FS thread. Proper steering wheel and other variations highlight that it is indeed a different car.

Seems lofty. I'm partial to the later Batwings for that kind of coin. Inka is cool, but $400k for an E9...I think I'd rather have an M1 for a BMW collectible.

giannicsl

Reaction score
I think $400K is where carb CSL’s in top shape should be. That is where they were for a brief time. IMO, it is the most difficult CSL to value and sell.

$175K for one that is pretty but needs a conservative $50K just to “look” correct.

Bonhams had an e9coupe alumni car valued at $377K that was RNM, but ultimately sold to a CA owner. I don’t know the price, but still needed quite a bit. One can assume that it would for well over $200K.

I know of at least two under restoration right now. One in the US, one in europe.

A total of three inka lightweights are on the market:

2211711 is for sale:

Then there is this one that Oldenzaal will be listing soon. I don’t have the VIN of this 221XX but it is near identical to the one in this FS thread. Proper steering wheel and other variations highlight that it is indeed a different car.

2211711 è tutto sbagliato!!!!
2211711 it's Wrong!!!!

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did not read the name of the poster in the comment above about some do drive their Pitch Perfect e9coupes. Was going to post, "talk to BMW Pete." The Ultimate Driver.
Thanks Steve - hope you are well sir

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think we all agree long term CSL prices are only going one way - up.
Cars like the 'project' CSL on German ebay at 130k Euro we may think are a bit of a joke but they point toward where the market is going. As others have said the Mk1 carbed CSL's are few and far between and deserve more attention - especially the good ones. Even project CSL's (of all varieties) are becoming almost impossible to find.