Malaga Coupe

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doug Park finished taking photos and a driving video today as I will be submitting it to BaT hopefully next week. Since I have the incredibly solid Chamonix coupe I will be letting a new owner enjoy it after 18 years of my ownership. If you know of anyone interested send them my way!

View attachment 146382View attachment 146383
Well...you owned this much longer than I owned my Golf Bav and have been a great inspiration to many...and still are... your knowledge of these cars and the obvious care and detail you have put into this beauty :love: . I feel the pain is what I am saying I guess... of having to let go a family member. Can't imagine the sleepless nights you have had making this decision. There is a reason I am an alcoholic, fat, balding and grey. Stuff like this...Here's to setting a BaT record! If you are going to do it, go out big! I feel for you buddy but know it will go to a great caretaker! I got lucky with that...I know the Bav will have a happy life as will your Malaga! Hopefully it stays local!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can't wait for the first comment about the bumper overriders being mounted upside down. :)
I would think that installing the earlier overriders would be an acceptable mod to an otherwise stock car...similar to shaving the side markers?

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Someone will be getting an awesome car. I got to meet Chris and his coupe when he made the trek to The Vinatge in NC in 2017. Feels like all members of this forum will have a vicarious interest in this auction when it hits BAT.
So Chris will you change your avatar (your card had the same photo as I recall)?
GLWA!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Someone will be getting an awesome car. I got to meet Chris and his coupe when he made the trek to The Vinatge in NC in 2017. Feels like all members of this forum will have a vicarious interest in this auction when it hits BAT.
So Chris will you change your avatar (your card had the same photo as I recall)?
GLWA!
Well, at some point I guess!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Someone will get a spectacular E9. I was fortunate to have driven it and it has served as an inspiration as I worked on my coupe.
GLWS - congradolensces

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ditto Stan's comments. Chris was nice enough to let me drive this car when I was building a 3.5 and it (and he) are always an inspiration. Sorry to see it go but hope it goes to someone as supportive of the hobby as Chris. Good luck.

Ajay

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, I cant believe you are selling this beauty,, soo much work, care & diligence on this car. I still have your door mechanism and will see you soon to make sure you have it.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I submitted my 1953 Lincoln Capri, another 200 hp pillarless coupe, about 3 weeks ago, accepted but still waiting.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW, it took my listing about 7 or 8 weeks from accepted submission to live listing last July. Not sure if they're still on that kind of cycle, but their volume of vehicles certainly hasn't slowed down...

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I submitted our 1985 Jeep Wagoneer Limited (83k miles) with a reserve and they asked me if I would go no reserve to "find the real value". After I said no and waited several more days, I pulled my request instead of waiting for their decision.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I submitted our 1985 Jeep Wagoneer Limited (83k miles) with a reserve and they asked me if I would go no reserve to "find the real value". After I said no and waited several more days, I pulled my request instead of waiting for their decision.
BaT is in the driver's seat. They are running 70+ cars per day and have a backlog of multiple months of committed sellers. They can be super picky. They make their money from the 5% commission that the buyer pays when (if) the car sells. They want to be absolutely certain the car has a reserve that will guarantee the car will sell.

My experience with selling (and watching) cars on BaT is that there is no other venue that will bring the prices that BaT gets. The only exceptions might be a couple of inebriated rich guys at a big name in person auction with a trophy gal that is easily impressed ;) . I'd consider running the Jeep no reserve before I choose second best.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW, it took my listing about 7 or 8 weeks from accepted submission to live listing last July. Not sure if they're still on that kind of cycle, but their volume of vehicles certainly hasn't slowed down...

Yeah, it took about two months for my auction to go live after they accepted my euro 635. I requested a reserve and they didn't even question it, I was happy. They came back a week later and said the reserve was too high, we argued back a forth a little and finally they left it at what I had originally requested. Luckily, it blew by the reserve pretty quickly and went $17k over that number. I think it set a record for a non M e24.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
BaT is in the driver's seat. They are running 70+ cars per day and have a backlog of multiple months of committed sellers. They can be super picky. They make their money from the 5% commission that the buyer pays when (if) the car sells. They want to be absolutely certain the car has a reserve that will guarantee the car will sell.

My experience with selling (and watching) cars on BaT is that there is no other venue that will bring the prices that BaT gets. The only exceptions might be a couple of inebriated rich guys at a big name in person auction with a trophy gal that is easily impressed ;) . I'd consider running the Jeep no reserve before I choose second best.
Dick
I understand. I am just not sure if I am ready to take the chance that I might give it away. There is a newer one on BaT right now with more than twice the miles that I am watching to see what it brings. The Grand Wagoneer market seems to be softening.
Thx, Dan