E9 similarities with parts from other Models

Johnny D

Site Donor
Reaction score
For the benefit of all E9ers,
As E9 parts get more and more difficult to find, and therefore very very expensive, I would like to take that is further, and compile a list of all parts that are available as replacement for E9 parts that not are no longer available, or are too expensive for us CS/CSi owners.
I have excluded CSL owners cause if they afford a CSL, then money is no object for the real deal. ( joking )

Anyways, My list is as follows:

E9 Door strips:
The interior aluminium door strips for E9's are almost impossible to get, but the E24 had a close
but not perfect door strip that could replace the E9 ( E24 strips are short by 10mm )

E9 Map Pockets:
E24 Map pocket are the same, or close enough.
E3 Map pocket are the same.

E9 Grab Handles
E24 Grab Handles look the same, but not 100% sure about later models.

E9 Grab Handles Gasket
E24 Grab Handles Gasket, also looks identical.

Any additional knowledge on this one would be really helpful, especially for the new recruits.

PS: Apologies to those users that advertise and have sales on here, i'm just thinking of the
others on here that don't have the budget for the more expensive orginal parts.

Thanks
Thanks

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my understanding is that e3 map pockets are deeper than the e9

door pull / armrests are the same on early e24 (e12 based cars).

door strips - these have been reproduced by @alprada70 - quality is very good and price is reasonable.

dbower

Reaction score
To expand this to other marques, trap mirrors and side reflectors are the same as those on period Mercedes.

alprada70

http://www.oilsdesigngroup.com/
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The power steering reservoir is the same for this Maserati:

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2022-09-19 a la(s) 8.58.58 p. m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2022-09-19 a la(s) 8.58.58 p. m..png
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • Captura de pantalla 2022-09-19 a la(s) 8.59.06 p. m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2022-09-19 a la(s) 8.59.06 p. m..png
    1.8 MB · Views: 55

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Many small parts are exchangeable with other German Cars where BOSCH, Hella, Kostal and Kirsten (and few others) were the only supplier of the car parts.

It relates to some general electric parts (connectors, plugs), brakes, wipers, front headlights, clips, window switches, sunroof parts etc...

For example electric mirror switch (Belgium company) is the same in Porsche 911/912.
Connectors from Kostal are the same in e.g. MB W114.
Front headlights were used in Volkswagen (Passat MK1) but not only.
Roof parts from Golde were used in VW or Volvo.

Johnny D

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is fantastic stuff and very helpful, im sure there are others out there like me, who are waiting searching for stuff, that is available via other sources.
Thanks
Many small parts are exchangeable with other German Cars where BOSCH, Hella, Kostal and Kirsten (and few others) were the only supplier of the car parts.

It relates to some general electric parts (connectors, plugs), brakes, wipers, front headlights, clips, window switches, sunroof parts etc...

For example electric mirror switch (Belgium company) is the same in Porsche 911/912.
Connectors from Kostal are the same in e.g. MB W114.
Front headlights were used in Volkswagen (Passat MK1) but not only.
Roof parts from Golde were used in VW or Volvo.

Rob///M

Reaction score
As E9 parts get more and more difficult to find, and therefore very very expensive, I would like to take that is further, and compile a list of all parts that are available as replacement for E9 parts that not are no longer available, or are too expensive for us CS/CSi owners.
I have excluded CSL owners cause if they afford a CSL, then money is no object for the real deal. ( joking )

E9 Door strips:
The interior aluminium door strips for E9's are almost impossible to get, but the E24 had a close
but not perfect door strip that could replace the E9 ( E24 strips are short by 10mm )

E9 Map Pockets:

E9 Grab Handles

E9 Grab Handles Gasket

Any additional knowledge on this one would be really helpful, especially for the new recruits.

PS: Apologies to those users that advertise and have sales on here, i'm just thinking of the

Thanks
Thanks

E9 Door strips:

E9 Map Pockets:

E9 Grab Handles

E9 Grab Handles Gasket

Thanks
Thanks
Thanks Johnny D,

Are the E3 door pull/ armrests interchangeable to the E9?
I was led to believe they were.

Johnny D

Site Donor
Reaction score
They do look alike. We have a few E3 enthusiasts on our side of the Atlantic. I will put that one out there and come back to you. Thanks for the lead.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hear a lot about Mercedes door stops for our E9's. @HB Chris discussed these in Sept 13 2012 in this thread:

@DougE pointed me to the part but I can't find his DM.

Here is the part:

Maybe wait to hear from more experienced members :)

Last edited:

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
The MB trap style mirror has a different base I think. I had a 230SL.
Armrests are the same on both.
Wrong, if you are talking about the whole armrest the E3 is shorter, 4 door bodies have doors that are shorter, so armrests are shorter. I think the top plastic bit and its chrome insert are smaller as well, but would not bet on it.