driveshaft

bmw art car

Reaction score
my car came with a lot of parts off...
the car was in storage for ages and the hardware is not labeled as to where it goes.
and to make matters worse , i have parts for three different cars that came with my car, plus plenty of new parts in boxes that i still have to look at and see what they actually are.
i am ready to install the driveshaft in the car again.
but the manual is not very helpful as far as photographs of parts is concerned.
realoem shows a 65mm bolt and spacer that goes between driveshaft and transmission. i can't finde those anywhere.
to make it short... does anyone have photo's of a driveshaft install so that i can match up the hardware and little parts i need?
thx

MMercury

Reaction score
to make it short... does anyone have photo's of a driveshaft install so that i can match up the hardware and little parts i need?
thx

For starters:

31.png

22.png

32.png

autobooks_manual_085.jpg

bmw art car

Reaction score
what about the other side ?

thank you for the fast response
if you look , you can see that the realoem drawing shows a spacer (#11).
but in the install instructions it's not there.
but that's ok since my guibo is still attached to the driveshaft.
what i need to know about is the other side, the bolts that connect to the transmission. i have some that are 75mm but they seem longer than the 65mm described in the realoem drawing.

MMercury

Reaction score
the realoem drawing shows a spacer (#11).
but in the install instructions it's not there.
but that's ok since my guibo is still attached to the driveshaft.
what i need to know about is the other side, the bolts that connect to the transmission. i have some that are 75mm but they seem longer than the 65mm described in the realoem drawing.

There are two different style giubos: the fat donut style and the thinner reinforced rag disk style. http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5461

Chances are, the longer bolts are for using the fat, solid-rubber giubo (without the spacers) that most likely came with your car. Alternatively, the longer bolts could be used with the thinner reinforced-disk - but you would need the spacers to maintain the original drive shaft length.

(Shorter bolts with the thinner reinforced disk might seem to work, but the effective drive shaft length would be 7.5mm+ - longer. This would likely require some modifications, e.g., remounting/moving the center drive shaft support.)

hth

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those aren't spacers... they are metal bushings that are inside the guibo.

MMercury

Reaction score
Those aren't spacers... they are metal bushings that are inside the guibo.

We are probably talking about two different items.

So far as I am aware all giubo styles have metal bushes that line the bolt holes. (This even includes the coupler for the steering column). But that is not what I am describing.

The fat-solid-rubber-style has two plates per hole that are molded to the rubber and become a composite part of giubo. The reinforced giubo has round metal bushes that fit within the bolt holes. These latter style are compression-fit and are an integral part of the disk. If one of these "bushes" fell out, I would expect the giubo was showing its age and would replace the entire disk rather than purchase a new bushing. On this point, I don't see these giubo-bolt hole bushings listed as a separate replaceable part. The so-called 7.5 mm spacers are listed as separate parts.

You will note that the so-called bushings in the reinforced disks are the same width as the disks themselves or roughly 30mm. This is not the same width as the 7.5mm "spacer" described by Realoem.

Look at the attached link and notice Realoem describes "no. 16" (pn 26111109907) as a "spacer."
This is realoem's label and not mine. Again, although they are related, I submit we are talking about two different pieces of hardware.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2558&mospid=47140&btnr=26_0136&hg=26&fg=10&hl=33

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I humbly take take back my comment....

I have never seen one in use- when I have had problems with front driveshaft section length, I have used a longer output flange.

Thanks for the info!

Don

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
New or Old style?

Early auto box trans use the older style larger guibo, and I think the new cars use this type as well Mercedes, basically a ZF component drive-line link. Later 2002's e9's 2800 3.0's used the heavy duty smaller style guibo, however there were some early 1600's and 2002's that used the mushy early style ones though, they all have three fingers drive shafts, or six hole guibos, and you could use either style, though the early style guibos would not last long under heavier racing, and longer continuous use, no longer made, replaced by the newer style heavy duty guibo. Anything you would find on the shelf now would be 15 to 20+ years old at least, rubber would be questionable at best for any usage. You could modify the drive shafts, and the output shaft to accommodate the larger auto box style, but the trans in a manual car there would present clearance issues because of the rear case design on early cars... 6 speed anyone large guibo from a late model m car????