1971 2800 Sahara

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
One snap installed. Fairly easy but had to dig to find the screw holes. Went from under the car but the front post holes for the rear carpet are on the raised portion.
I have all the post, but only three retainers.View attachment 170816
I have some extra retainers. Sending PM
question - shouldn't the retainers be mounted the other way? i thought only the fine ring showed on top of the carpet ... so you don't need a hole through the carpet
Agreed, should see the ring on top.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
happy to be of assistance sir ... you are building a gorgeous e3 ... keep it going!!!
Man, I was scratching my head wondering how I was going to get this retainer through the carpet like the picture shows. I thought I was gonna have to use osmosis.
Then I found this picture and realized I was missing a piece, and they are actually five parts to this device, six if you
count the screw.
I had seen this piece, lying around and wondered what the hell it was for, fortunately I kept it but unfortunately I only have one.This Lakewell site sells four for 16 pounds.
image.jpg

1698675287847.png

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
And you didn't stop by Phoenix?? Would have been great to meet you. River rafted the Canyon many years ago and that was a lifetime experience.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Installed rear windscreen. Fabricated a gasket out of the old front windscreen gasket, which was in pretty good shape. The biggest difference, of course is the size which is easily cut down, but the difficult part was the bottom corners. The front windshield is rounded where as rear bottom corners are almost 45°. Went in like a charm but that adhesive is about to drive me nuts. Nothing takes it off of painted surfaces. Easily comes off the chrome and rubber, and here I thought the door weather seal adhesive was a bitch!
IMG_2037.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am a big believer in plastic razor blades - they fit in a scraper that holds single edged razor blades for scraping dirt / paint off of glass. won't damage the paint ... or at least i have never damaged the paint with one while taking old speed film off of a porsche

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, the plastic razor blades were on the list as well as some bad ass f ing adhesive remover, cause I’m exhausted., WD-40, goof off,which melts the door weatherstrip adhesive, soapy water, which actually worked when it wasn’t dry, mineral spirits, acetone, Gojo, and even toyed with lacker thinner, which, of course immediately begin to remove the paint, but not the adhesive.
When it wasn’t dry, soapy water or WD-40 work the best.. been looking at the PPG DX 330 which is now the SX 330 but it seems hard to find.
I will be extremely cautious, and use copious amounts of blue tape on the front windshield

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got the dash in. Excruciating and time consuming, but rewarding. Console a bit low on the right. After putting the dash in it was a little high. I shaved quarter inch off the left, but not the right thinking it might work out, but it didn’t . once the seats go in, you’ll never see it but I it’s an easy fix. The carpet needs to be tweaked as well. The wooden inserts and the clock were really a
PITA. they are the same wood as the console, but appear darker, probably the light. Deleted the lighter for a starter button. Getting the wiper switch in isn’t gonna be fun either.

Also solved my brake booster issue. Damned if I know what happened to that part. the phone had a mishap right after I did the removal so there may be photos on that it that didn’t get to the cloud. I also took pictures of everything at the powder coater, but can’t locate those, so I think they were on that phone.
IMG_2048.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg
IMG_2047.jpeg
IMG_2045.jpeg

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am a big believer in plastic razor blades - they fit in a scraper that holds single edged razor blades for scraping dirt / paint off of glass. won't damage the paint ... or at least i have never damaged the paint with one while taking old speed film off of a porsche
I sure hope the plastic razor blades work because nothing else does. May end up being an issue for the painter. still needs to go back to the shop for final sanding and buffing. Plus touchups. This could be a big touchup. Really the only thing I’ve done so far that I’ve messed up and can’t fix.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Engine update. ETA on motor is January. Been a while but not much I could have done had it been sooner..
This month marks almost two years since beginning this project.
Jim Rowe, even at 80, gets animated and excited when he talks about his new pistons and rods, made by his crew in Richland Missouri.
I am the farthest thing from an engineer, but basically, he has lightened the piston/rod duo by two thirds using titanium and his CNC Machine.

Pistons are 10 to 1 compression, but the lightweight should allow the engine to spool up much quicker to significantly higher redline. The engine comes out at about. 3.6 L. He thinks it should make more than 300 hp.
One of these is mine
Also, a photo of the piston rod set up. The left is of course the original.

Attachments

• IMG_6399.jpeg
    IMG_6399.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6320.jpeg
    IMG_6320.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 57

e30strube

Reaction score
Any words of wisdom on doing the door seals? Between not getting the adhesive to actually adhere to anything and not being able to close the doors because the new seals are too "thick", the job is a huge pain.