1971 2800 Sahara

It’s been a good week. Between working on the E3 and waiting for the motor, etc., I got involved in putting dual for dcoe,s on the Inca 2002. Some initial advice from Stevehose as well as Top End Motorsports. And after considerable effort trying to understand exactly what I was doing, and further as a precursor to perhaps triple side drafts on the 3700 rally motor, I, to my surprise them running exceptionally well. The 2002 has a 2300 rally motor from MM which for the past eight years has run on a single 38 downdraft.BIG DIFFERENCE. A bit sluggish under 3500 but after that, it’s a bad ass machine! of course it sounds great too. Just need some filters.
Without a doubt, the biggest problem I had was vacuum leaks, and thanks to the advice from top end motorsports to check this with either. It was quite obvious that my initials set up really SUCKED, pun intended. Ended up, redoing it twice and using significant amount of gasket sealer both silicon and heavy tack. After that, it was just a matter of adjusting the mixture and idle. it’s got a 130 main, 190 air jet and a F8-55 idle jet.
I can now get onto the task of installing the “Jewelery”, as Dick calls it, into the project the subject of this thread. Given my success at this trial run of side drafts, I’m probably gonna be looking for 3 45 DCOE’s!
IMG_2515.jpeg
IMG_2516.jpeg

Nice! You'll love the triple Webers on the M30 too. The sound and throttle response are fantastic. Back in the mid-80s I had a Bavaria with a Korman built engine with the triple Webers, and then for my daily driver I bought an E21 where the prior owner had installed a Korman stage2+ engine with a Schrick cam and twin 45s. That was a beast of an engine in the E21, probably increased it's power/weight by 50%!

The main problem I always had with the sidedrafts in the Bavaria was idling in very hot weather with the A/C running. I ended up using an MSD Ping Control unit and MSD 6A, and I'd set the timing just a bit too much advanced for WOT mid-high rpms and dial it back with the Ping Control from inside the car where I had marked the location of the correct timing setting on its dial. Then in very hot weather, heavy traffic, I'd advance the timing temporarily to help the idle. If I just set the idle higher, then in more normal temperature conditions and the A/C off, it would be idling way too high. The E21 didn't have that issue really, but I did install a pull line attached to the cold start enrichment levers on the Webers to be able to start it in cold weather (unfortunately for it, it had to sit outside at the time since the garage was reserved for the Bavaria and E28 535i).

Nice! You'll love the triple Webers on the M30 too. The sound and throttle response are fantastic. Back in the mid-80s I had a Bavaria with a Korman built engine with the triple Webers, and then for my daily driver I bought an E21 where the prior owner had installed a Korman stage2+ engine with a Schrick cam and twin 45s. That was a beast of an engine in the E21, probably increased it's power/weight by 50%!

The main problem I always had with the sidedrafts in the Bavaria was idling in very hot weather with the A/C running. I ended up using an MSD Ping Control unit and MSD 6A, and I'd set the timing just a bit too much advanced for WOT mid-high rpms and dial it back with the Ping Control from inside the car where I had marked the location of the correct timing setting on its dial. Then in very hot weather, heavy traffic, I'd advance the timing temporarily to help the idle. If I just set the idle higher, then in more normal temperature conditions and the A/C off, it would be idling way too high. The E21 didn't have that issue really, but I did install a pull line attached to the cold start enrichment levers on the Webers to be able to start it in cold weather (unfortunately for it, it had to sit outside at the time since the garage was reserved for the Bavaria and E28 535i).
In Park City, Ut. I got no AC and no hot weather. You’re right, the 2002 feels like the horsepower is increased 50%, incredibly responsive and throttle response is exponentially better.

Dressing the Jewelery.
Totally unclear about that spring thing on the throttle linkage. what’s it for? maybe I have it set up wrong.
IMG_2531.jpeg

Getting closer. Waiting on a couple of parts. Looking like I will use the manifolds for water flow. Really don’t want to purchase the bypass pipe
at $250 or so. Could make it out of copper. not sure how it would look or hold up with the antifreeze.

Headers required only mild grinding of the block. The wrap did not help.
Surprisingly, but we think it almost sit on the floor on the subframe. But the oil pan might come through, but it doesn’t.
IMG_2535.jpeg
IMG_2534.jpeg
IMG_2533.jpeg

Dressing the Jewelery.
Totally unclear about that spring thing on the throttle linkage. what’s it for? maybe I have it set up wrong.
View attachment 186572
I'm not sure of its precise function (related to the kick down function, perhaps?), but that spring linkage part is unique to the automatic transmission BMWs. I had one in my car and removed it.

I run my car with 22 degrees of idle advance. The Webers seem to like this.

I'm not sure of its precise function (related to the kick down function, perhaps?), but that spring linkage part is unique to the automatic transmission BMWs. I had one in my car and removed it.
Yes, finally found a picture and part number on it and it’s clear it’s part of the automatic transmission cars. I’m gonna dig and just go with a straight rod.

The main problem I always had with the sidedrafts in the Bavaria was idling in very hot weather with the A/C running. I ended up using an MSD Ping Control unit and MSD 6A, and I'd set the timing just a bit too much advanced for WOT mid-high rpms and dial it back with the Ping Control from inside the car where I had marked the location of the correct timing setting on its dial. Then in very hot weather, heavy traffic, I'd advance the timing temporarily to help the idle. If I just set the idle higher, then in more normal temperature conditions and the A/C off, it would be idling way too high. The E21 didn't have that issue really, but I did install a pull line attached to the cold start enrichment levers on the Webers to be able to start it in cold weather (unfortunately for it, it had to sit outside at the time since the garage was reserved for the Bavaria and E28 535i)
I run my car with 22 degrees of idle advance. The Webers seem to like this.
speaking of the DCOE’S, and responsiveness, in my attempts to fix the vacuum leaks, I remove the Webbers when they were full of gas. When I put them on the bench to work, the throttle, the amount of gas that squirts out of those holes was amazing.. I mean a steady stream and that’s from all four carbs at the same time.!

Well it’s in!:)
Bottom loaded motor and transmission. The only part that really got hung up was the steering box. you live and learn. Certainly could’ve put that on afterwards.
Have to hook up the radiator and add some fluids and it should be ready to fire up. That’s the plan anyway. doing this by myself, probably not the best idea, but for five hours of cursing and the subframe is locked to the body and the transmission support is in. Looks like a fairly good fit with the headers, although they are pretty much pinned to the short block I’m not sure if that’s a good idea, almost like another bracket.
IMG_2565.jpeg
IMG_2564.jpeg
IMG_2563.jpeg

After 3 1/2 years, Gwendolyn finally made it out of the garage. I thought she might need sunscreen. She definitely needs a good buff.
I love the rims and tires and the little hubcaps. Finally moving under her own power, even with a rigged exhaust.. at some point have to drive to Salt Lake City for the remainder of the exhaust job and didn’t feel like going there with open headers. Not to mention, I can’t hear anything.
IMG_2588.jpeg
IMG_2587.jpeg
IMG_2586.jpeg
IMG_2590.jpeg

My ignorance as to which was the number one cylinder. The car does not run if the distributor is timed to top dead center of the number six cylinder, not to mention all the wires are wrong. As I told Steve Armstrong, it’s why I don’t try and rebuild motors

My ignorance as to which was the number one cylinder. The car does not run if the distributor is timed to top dead center of the number six cylinder, not to mention all the wires are wrong. As I told Steve Armstrong, it’s why I don’t try and rebuild motors
Very honest Frederick. In fact, this is a very common oversight that hampers that very first start on many new engine installs. Looking great!

That's a really nice looking 2800. I noticed your vehicle lacks the side lights and chrome along the body line.. just taillights and turning signals.
There's something really elegant about the simplicity. Nice cromodora rims too - they appear to be refinished / repainted?

Your 360 profile engine shots on the pallet are really useful. They're so helpful to me - envisioning what the
drive train looks like.

Trapezoidal or flag mirrors ?

Early, pre- Bavaria cars did not come with the beltline chrome, so it's not a delete. I did delete the side markers as those were US add-ons.
Rims were refinished and powder coated.
Flag mirrors.

Bleeding this mother is a PITA. I don’t know what it takes to get the air out of the MC. Pressure feed, vacumn drip, pumping a thousand times, tapping on the MC. And doing it again and again.
Getting better but still not there.

Back