1971 2800 Sahara

How do you know the air is coming from the MC?
I also used a similar pressure bleeder on my car filling a completly empty system a few weeks ago.
If you open the bleed nipples too much when you use a vacuum bleeder, air can be sucked in through the nipple threads and creating bubbles.
I think the same applies when using a pressure bleeder.
Could this be happening?
Some people recomend using grease on the threads to seal it up some.

Does the brake pedal feel spongy?

My procedure was like this on an all empty system. New lines, and all new parts exept rear calipers that were rebuildt.

- Hooked up the pressure bleeder, with no brake fluid yet, and did a pressure test on the empty system by pumping up to 10-15psi.
(My pressure bleeder has an adapter cap that screws directly to the reservoir)
- Checked/listened for leeks.
- Then opened all bleed nipples one by one to check that air was coming through.
- Disconnected the pressure bleeder.
- Filled up the brake reservoir with fluid.
- Started with the bleed nipple farthest away, opened it up and used a manually operated vacuum pump to get fluid flowing through.
Didnt care so much about air bubbles at this time. Worked my way in the right sequence with the rest of the lines including the clutch system. Same time keeping an eye on the reservoir level.
- Hooked up the pressure bleeder again. Filled it up with 1L of fluid. Pumped it up to 10psi and started bleeding in the right sequence.
Used a catch can with no non-return valve.
- Disconnected the pressure bleeder.
- Pumped the brake pedal a couple of times.
- Topped up the reservoir.
- Started the engine and checked the function of the brake booster.

I must mention that this was my first time filling an empty system and my first time with the pressure bleeder.
Others may have procedures that works good as well.

Now, if I could only find three 45 dcoe’s and a manifoldo_O
If you are serious, I have a set of 40s in a box I'm not using (and I don't think you need 45s, even with a Metric Mechanic built engine). https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/triple-weber-for-e3-2800.41442/post-361990

Having said that, I will tell you that I had a conversation with Carl Nelson when I was in Monterey in 2016 in which he told me he prefers the carbs you have over the triple Weber setup. He claims the car will make the same power, and the 38s are much easier to set up and live with. I've never had 38s on my car (I had Weber DGAV 32/36s on my car when I bought it), so I can't comment on the difference.

If you are serious, I have a set of 40s in a box I'm not using (and I don't think you need 45s, even with a Metric Mechanic built engine). https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/triple-weber-for-e3-2800.41442/post-361990

Having said that, I will tell you that I had a conversation with Carl Nelson when I was in Monterey in 2016 in which he told me he prefers the carbs you have over the triple Weber setup. He claims the car will make the same power, and the 38s are much easier to set up and live with. I've never had 38s on my car (I had Weber DGAV 32/36s on my car when I bought it), so I can't comment on the difference.
Thanks for the offer. Definitely requires 45's. If you do the math on the individual cylinder CC's, its over 600 per cylinder. To achieve even 6500rpm, (and this motor can go to 7500 with no issues) requires minimum 44mm main
Venturi, which obviously will not fit in 40 dcoe's.
Had lengthy conversations with Steve Nelson at Topendperformance regarding this.
And, after just recently putting dual 40's on the 2002, which has a MM2300 Rally motor ,(after driving it for 7 years with a single 38 down draft) I can tell you the performance upgrade was astounding. And it even runs better altogether.
Further, after reading and re-reading Steve armstrongs thread on triples, viewing sfshooter's videos, studying Steve Nelsons tech articles and a successful instal of the
dual 40's on the 2002, I believe the issues owners have with the side drafts are real, but easily addressed. The most common problem is vacumn leaks. If you have leaks(and I had several) the carbs cannot be tuned.

Thanks for the offer. Definitely requires 45's. If you do the math on the individual cylinder CC's, its over 600 per cylinder. To achieve even 6500rpm, (and this motor can go to 7500 with no issues) requires minimum 44mm main
Had lengthy conversations with Steve Nelson at Topendperformance regarding this.
And, after just recently putting dual 40's on the 2002, which has a MM2300 Rally motor ,(after driving it for 7 years with a single 38 down draft) I can tell you the performance upgrade was astounding. And it even runs better altogether.
Further, after reading and re-reading Steve armstrongs thread on triples, viewing sfshooter's videos, studying Steve Nelsons tech articles and a successful instal of the
dual 40's on the 2002, I believe the issues owners have with the side drafts are real, but easily addressed. The most common problem is vacumn leaks. If you have leaks(and I had several) the carbs cannot be tuned.
Obviously, I did not follow Carl Nelson's advice; I have triple Webers on my car. At over 600cc per cylinder, yes the 40DCOEs will be too small.

Steve at TEP has been such a huge resource for me over the years. I used to live near him and would visit his shop (old location) while I built my second 02 and he was so great to talk to. He can tune the hell out of those webers. I did a high performance 2L with dual 40s on that and it absolutely screamed. He took it around the block with me and had a blast driving it. Great guy.

Steve at TEP has been such a huge resource for me over the years. I used to live near him and would visit his shop (old location) while I built my second 02 and he was so great to talk to. He can tune the hell out of those webers. I did a high performance 2L with dual 40s on that and it absolutely screamed. He took it around the block with me and had a blast driving it. Great guy.
Agree, I got my 10:1 pistons from him, he knew exactly what I needed for my original block.

Now we’re cooking with gas, well, gasoline.
Only one issue I can’t solve. The vacuum booster thread is 17 mm and both connections. I have are too large, one is way too large.
IMG_0197.jpeg

Seems to be in conflict with the linkage rod as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 19
While the crossbar linkage is sexy, I find them not as easy to set and forget as the inter-couple system which would also solve your clearance issue. Did you ask Steve Nelson if he has a solution? Alfa1750 on eBay sells quality linkage, Pierce might also.

Plan on giving Steve Nelson a call today.
I did go back and look at your linkage and it is indeed very simple. Way with a lot of parts.

and these are great filters for those trumpets - easy on and off with no restriction. I removed the painted logos with acetone:

Call me at shop tomorrow - we are finishing an install. Martin can help you.

I‘ll send pics today.

Now we’re cooking with gas, well, gasoline.
Only one issue I can’t solve. The vacuum booster thread is 17 mm and both connections. I have are too large, one is way too large.
View attachment 188590
engine compartment is looking gorgeous ... one thought -
you need the original type of oil cap on the valve cover. Max has a chrome one for $49
1725810549833.jpeg

Back