Radio Options?

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I need to make a decision on the radio/tapedeck in my current restoration project.

What are the things you guys have done?

I'd like to track down the original radio that came with the 1971 3.0CS and then place a more modern one in the glovebox. What do you guys think? What did you do in your coupe?

Anyone know where I could track down an original radio? What was the make and model?

Thanks!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Search "radio" here and you will find several threads on stock and opional radios, most are Blaupunkts and Beckers.

For me, I am lucky mine came with the original Becker Europa and Becker cassette player in glove box. I love the vintage look so I left it stock and occasionally enjoy its period-correct low-fidelity mixed with the hi-fidelity of the 3-liters.

Ebay always has radios coming up, just decide on what model you want and wait for one if it is not listed now.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Most of the coupes came with Blauplunkt stereo Franfurts, Blamburgs or other mono units.

According to the CS orange parts books, the much better Becker Europa, Grand Prix and Mexico stereo units, in addition to other mono radios were also available.

Have always considered the Blauplunkts rather cheaply constructed and bad sounding whereas the Beckers are much better in build quality, sound and appearance (just look at the chromed faceplate bezel). Besides, these classic Becker units are still being serviced by Becker USA. They can retrofit these older Beckers with a facepate plug input for ipods and stereo pre-outs for modern amplifiers.

4947162050_fe5ec25833.jpg

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I wanted things to match including the knobbs so this is what I bought and put a real radio in the glove box. The becker europa matches better with a mercedes and less with our dash and a/c knobs.
abe

Attachments

• resized_101_2901.jpg
    resized_101_2901.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 319

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Thanks so much for the advice. I've emailed Becker asking them about what they have available to fit my coupe.

@abe3.0CSi, I really like your setup. What kind of radio is that? I'd like to get something like that and have a 3.5mm jack retrofitted to it.

Thanks again!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Europas for BMW have a different faceplate than Mercedes - mine doesnt look like the Mercedes ones and fits nicely in the factory radio template and is less common than Blaupunkts. I have BMW knobs on order.

The becker europa matches better with a mercedes and less with our dash and a/c knobs.
abe

Attachments

• IMG00209-20100831-2243.jpg
    IMG00209-20100831-2243.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 305

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Europas for BMW have a different faceplate than Mercedes - mine doesnt look like the Mercedes ones and fits nicely in the factory radio template and is less common than Blaupunkts. I have BMW knobs on order.

Nice setup.
BC? Is that german for AM? Before Christ?
Mine is a good looking Blaupunkt but the sound and reception are not great. The news on the radio aren't that good either, so I am keeping it that way.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe "BC" stood for "Broadcast" which was one of the names for AM back then. I like your BC theory though! Mine gets good reception, I usually don't have to have the antenna up to pull in the oldies station. It's rarely on though as I prefer listening to the engine growl (as well as any unwelcome sounds).

Nice setup.
BC? Is that german for AM? Before Christ?
Mine is a good looking Blaupunkt but the sound and reception are not great. The news on the radio aren't that good either, so I am keeping it that way.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Read my thread in our austrian forum !

Here´s the english translation : http://translate.google.at/translat...ad-welches-radio-hoeni-2144774-5898563-0.html

I have a lot of old radios for sale........

Interesting Blaupunkt facts Kato.
1- Blau is the opposite color of Orange, Andy... how can you tolerate blue?
2- A stack of more than 10 old car radios in the home is valid evidence in California divorce court. You will lose the house and half the radios.
3 -In all the Blaupunkt pictures on cars and for sale I have never seen one like mine, they either built only one, or they were all lost to divorces over the years.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Please post a pic, I am interested to see it.

In all the Blaupunkt pictures on cars and for sale I have never seen one like mine, they either built only one, or they were all lost to divorces over the years.

Orangener

Reaction score
Interesting Blaupunkt facts Kato.
1- Blau is the opposite color of Orange, Andy... how can you tolerate blue?
2- A stack of more than 10 old car radios in the home is valid evidence in California divorce court. You will lose the house and half the radios.
3 -In all the Blaupunkt pictures on cars and for sale I have never seen one like mine, they either built only one, or they were all lost to divorces over the years.

@1 : I have a green car too ! Any new thoughts ?

@2 : I only say Arnold Schwarzenegger ! I hope you know where he was born...

@3 : Waiting for a picture........

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Green is not ripe, orange is almost ripe, red is perfect.
Arnold is not here in California, he lives in Kalifornia.

Here is the picture, if anybody can identify the model maybe I can get a service manual or something.

Attachments

• radio_1.jpg
    radio_1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 235

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very nice - it's a Blaupunkt Frankfurt - is it original to the car? I thought they stopped making that style in the late 60's. Great looking - who cares what it sounds like!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very nice - it's a Blaupunkt Frankfurt - is it original to the car? I thought they stopped making that style in the late 60's. Great looking - who cares what it sounds like!

Thanks. It is original but probably dealer installed I believe as it came with a very crude bracket setup.

I Googled that model and there are lots of variants, none look like mine.

Last edited:

hdavis

Reaction score

68 was the last year that type of faceplate came with a Blaupunkt, it was a Z code Blaupunkt. After that in 69 it started again with A, B, C codes