Does your coupe need a second chance at a blue or black plate? (California)

Eric L.

Reaction score
I don't think this has been posted, but California DMV has a legacy license plate program that allows any CA car to to get a new blue, black or even a yellow plate. If your previous owner let their registration lapse and lost their original plate (like mine), here's your chance: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm.

The catch: 7,500 people have to sign up before the program gets initiated. I don't think that will be too difficult. 7,499 to go . . .

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Already posted, did you see the DMV FAQ?

Q13: Are the Legacy Plates going to look exactly like the license plates issued in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's?
A: No. Current law requires license plates to be reflectorized and modern manufacturing processes may not allow for an exact replication of the original plates. The images shown on the website and REG 17L are for illustrative purposes only. The final design of the plate will differ; however, as many characteristics of the original plates as possible will be applied.

They will issue personalized or sequential plates, but you can't pick sequential letters and numbers, the DMV will just pick and send to you. I doubt the California will be embossed, it isn't on current plates.

Eric L.

Reaction score
Already posted, did you see the DMV FAQ?

Q13: Are the Legacy Plates going to look exactly like the license plates issued in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's?
A: No. Current law requires license plates to be reflectorized and modern manufacturing processes may not allow for an exact replication of the original plates. The images shown on the website and REG 17L are for illustrative purposes only. The final design of the plate will differ; however, as many characteristics of the original plates as possible will be applied.

They will issue personalized or sequential plates, but you can't pick sequential letters and numbers, the DMV will just pick and send to you. I doubt the California will be embossed, it isn't on current plates.

In any event, it's an upgrade for me if its blue with yellow.

dbower

Reaction score
CA title trail

I guess this question is sort of related. Any of you left-coasters happen to know if it is possible to get a title history on a 1971 coupe that has been in CA since birth? Most states will provide this for a fee with the VIN, but from what I've found, CA does this only for vehicles 1985 and newer.

Don

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
CA will not share ANY info, period, unless there is a lawsuit. You can only get the history for your own car but it only shows you are the owner, no past owners.