Wiper Motor

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi. I'm replacing the rubber/plastic seals and gaskets this weekend, and adding the wiper motor cover I got from HBChris. Since I've never seen the cover installed, I was wondering if anyone had a photo, or could provide some info on the parts sequence. The diagram is somewhat cryptic. Thanks.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Len, looking forward to seeing your new wiper motor cover at New Hope on Sunday. Point of information, I don't think they are as rare as I thought since Bavaria covers are the same. But still not that easy to find.
Steve

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe you guys are correct, although it took some time to find one! And a nice one at that...

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's it. Interesting how the cover fits under the bracket.

Thanks again to Jesus! I just love it when "PITA" shows up in a DIY thread...

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cover installed. As deQuincey mentioned in his DIY, its a PITA to align and hold the nylon nuts/washers, and the steel washers, but I used Twin Tac to hold everything in place while I inserted the bolts. Made a fairly easy job that much easier...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 198

Stefan

Reaction score
Was this cover really accessory to production year or was it import dependent? Osnabrück for export to Sweden Aug 73 got it. But anyway, I guess in the early days not all importers in the world even demanded to know from BMW what kind of studded tires fitted on the E9 for best performance :)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Cover installed. As deQuincey mentioned in his DIY, its a PITA to align and hold the nylon nuts/washers, and the steel washers, but I used Twin Tac to hold everything in place while I inserted the bolts. Made a fairly easy job that much easier...

ha, ha, ha, beautifully finished job
very nice
did you got a NOS part ?

regards

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Was this cover really accessory to production year or was it import dependent? Osnabrück for export to Sweden Aug 73 got it. But anyway, I guess in the early days not all importers in the world even demanded to know from BMW what kind of studded tires fitted on the E9 for best performance :)

my coupe did not have such an accessory, probably being sent to sunny spain was the reason....:twisted:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While we're on the subject

I have an undesirable occurrence with my wipers; at the off position the wiper blades sit where they should, straight across the windshield a couple of inches up the glass. When I turn them on they wipe the window and then travel past the windshield rubber on the down stroke and then come to rest in the proper position. There has to be some kind of adjustment but it's not in the arm position. If I adjust the arm position I can stop them from going below the rubber but then they come to rest 6 inches up the windshield :-(

Any Ideas?

Thanks

dj_efk

Reaction score
Thread resurrection

Just bring this one back from the depths, what is the consensus on Peter's problem here? Adjustment or worn parts needing replacement?

Peter did you ever solve this issue? I'm experiencing similar and put it down to the linkage needing a rebuild

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just bring this one back from the depths, what is the consensus on Peter's problem here? Adjustment or worn parts needing replacement?

Peter did you ever solve this issue? I'm experiencing similar and put it down to the linkage needing a rebuild

Adjustment of the linkage on the wiper motor. Had the same issue, wipers would dip down before going up. It took a few times but I was able to get mine to stop at the bottom of the travel.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Still have the problem, It's not the #1 item on the list since I'm trying to track down an electric problem that keeps blowing fuses 1 & 2 when the blinkers are used.

Wipers; There are three bolts on top of the motor, do those need to be adjusted on the wiper- If you have a picture of where to adjust that would be great- It seems every time I finish one problem list there is another one right behind it! Still a hoot to drive.

Side note, watching "car crazy" with my son this morning, in with the million dollar Ferraris was a beautiful e9, they must have shown it 6 or 7 times but never stopped to mention what it was...

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The only thing to adjust is the center nut where the linkage attaches to the motor on the splined shaft. Takes some trial and error of removing, repositioning and testing to get it right.

If the wipers are too high on the windscreen when the bottom of the travel is found, remove wiper arms and install where you want them.

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 172