1973 Headlights

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am beginning to think toward the front of car. Reviewing the headlight parts my frames are new powder coated. I have the original three prong high and low beams however the chrome rings that secure them into the brackets all have at least one tab broken off.

I see a lot of detail on the forum about head lights and am hoping ones with more experience on this can advise the best route for headlights?

Stay original or convert to newer better technology?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Original. Hellas illuminate better than modern technology. Just get new ones so the mirrors are perfect and the glass clear.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde, US original were sealed beams! Hellas are great with flat lenses, domed Cibie and Marchals also nice but extremely hard to find. I just found a set of four Marchals!

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My coupe had sealed beams and had VSR install flat H1/H4 lights in 2015. Once properly aimed they are as bright as my 2007 X3 adaptive Xenons.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There is a lot of information on this subject and a lot of solutions. The general consensus is for the H1/H4 Hellas to replace my old sealed beams. Do these use the same #2 holding frames?

Attachments

• HL.jpg
    HL.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 192

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, they fit right in, held by the chrome trim rings. Just need to clip the wires to the high beam since only two wires.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is a lot of information on this subject and a lot of solutions. The general consensus is for the H1/H4 Hellas to replace my old sealed beams. Do these use the same #2 holding frames?

Yes, same headlight buckets and chrome retaining rings as I recall. They only difference is how they are wired compared to the sealed beams.

Pretty sure VSR bought mine from here: https://www.rallylights.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=hella+h1+conversion
Many swear by Daniel Stern Lighting: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
F2.jpg
1.jpg
i have an extra set of perfect chrome rings id you need them
thats all you need and go to h1 hella i used both high beam
as they are flat and u just need to notch the low beam bracket as the notchs are different on high and low
as you see thay are both solid flat
the low beam headlight model has a projection that sticks out
lookin ugly

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Originals as what was used in the 1970s at the origin, Germany. Flat lense Hellas, glass so you do not have to polish aging plastic every year, and not sealed
so you can clean the mirrror, the inside glass, and replace bulbs.

Arde, US original were sealed beams! Hellas are great with flat lenses, domed Cibie and Marchals also nice but extremely hard to find. I just found a set of four Marchals!

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm with Arde, use the original original. Two Hella/BMW H1 lamps on each side --one low beam, one high beam (don't listen to aearch...), with those unique low beams with the black insert that give off that 70's blacked-out purposeful, badass look on the low beams. Plus, the glass is truly flush unlike the H4's taller, stepped-up glass. And... you only need to carry one type of bulb spare: H1.

As far as I've been able to ascertain, those original-style low beams with the blackout look are only available from BMW, or Walloth with a better price when they go on sale every so many months.

ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 25 12.13.jpg

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
HEY THIS IS JUST A COMMENT
WHATS UP WITH THIS "DONT LISTEN TO ARCH NONSENCE"
NO THEY ARE INSERT HALOGENS
YOU CHANGE THE BULB WATTS TO 55 NOT 100
LOOKS GOOD
MINE ARE HIS -JUST PLAIN HELLAS
NOT BLACKED OUT
JUST PREFERENCE
HIS CAR IS NOT A CSL OR BATMOBILE SO THOSE WOULD NOT BE ORIGINAL RIGHT

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Alan, high beam light projection patterns are completely different than low beam. That’s why there are two different lamps: highbeam and low beam. It is dangerous and perhaps even borderline stupid to use four high beams on the car.

All BMWs of the era: CSL, ‘plain’ E9, E3, E21, etc., had that style low beam.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
PLEASE WHY CALL ME STUPID ITS WHAT I WANT THATS ALL
PERSONAL ATTACKS / FLAMES: Any personal attacks or flames will not be tolerated on this forum. Opinions need to be expressed in a polite, rational manner
wasnt aware they had black
good to know my 74 did not have that style they were clear oem
maybe american were that way

Last edited:

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
View attachment 62188 View attachment 62190 i have an extra set of perfect chrome rings id you need them
thats all you need and go to h1 hella i used both high beam
as they are flat and u just need to notch the low beam bracket as the notchs are different on high and low
as you see thay are both solid flat
the low beam headlight model has a projection that sticks out
lookin ugly
Looks like I will need the rings if available.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ITS WHAT I WANT THATS ALL
Alan, For safety sake, I'd recommend having proper low-beam reflectors/lenses for driving in traffic. Running high-beam optics - regardless of what wattage lamp you are using - will shine light up into the air (into the eyes of other drivers and also not on the ground that you need to see). Plus, this would technically be illegal - at least it would in all jurisdictions I am familiar with.