1973 Headlights

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you get the Hella H1 low beam with city light I can tell you how to modify two wires in your stalk to enable both low and high when on high, otherwise the US stalk will not turn on the low beam when high is selected.

pickman

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you get the Hella H1 low beam with city light I can tell you how to modify two wires in your stalk to enable both low and high when on high, otherwise the US stalk will not turn on the low beam when high is selected.
Chris,
It looks like the consensus is for the H1 and H4 Hella H/L. Not sure what you mean by "city light" perhaps you can explain and I would most likely want modify as you suggest. I see some of them on Amazon. Please advise.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The city light is a 4w bulb in the H4 low beam. In Europe the turn signal lense has no parking light bulb/filament like in the US, it is in the headlight itself. Daniel Stern Lighting sells these euro H4s.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
^^ ditto - Stern is a great source. Been working with him for decades.

I bought Cibié CSR lights from Daniel twelve years ago. Two highs, two lows, but wait - CSRs are NLA...
Hella BiFocals became the best after the CSR went NLA, H1 lamp and stays on all the time, properly wired;
but wait - BiFocals are now NLA! AAAUGGHHH!!!

I am searching for the best available H1 low beam, and yes, modern Halogen Reflector lights are BETTER
than the original lights, and NO do not use a 100W lamp, use a 100% BRIGHTER Lamp that draws 55 W.

And who uses the 'original' tires and engine oil that came in their coupe? NOBODY, that's who.
Headlights are a replacement item, like tires, windshields, and brake pads. Better performance with original
appearance is not wrong. Sealed Beams ARE WRONG.

My tuppence worth.