‘71 2800 CSA Build thread

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Greetings Gang!

After my welcome post, I thought I’d start another post about the build so over time I have a thread going with good Q&As to reference. Anyway, here’s my car:

1971 2800 CSA #520 which appears to be the 6th from the last one built (#526) for US in Automatic form. It’s PS, PB, full power windows, AC, AM/FM rear defroster. Baikal Blue, tan leather interior. Parked in 1987 due to a blown head gasket, and minimal rot (luckily). Original engine and transmission and all numbers match up on the body.

What’s the plans? Don’t really know just yet. I’m going to pull the head off and see what the deal is as far as the rest of the motor. I’d love a later model swap, but then again, would love to keep this like it is and maybe just add FAST EFI or something. Time to decide since I need to research all the parts and such for these as it’s something I am just getting into. Looks to be a fun one though and I’m excited to learn more.

Cheers
Dave
7A9DC329-CDCD-43D0-B9BE-ABCBAAB77174.jpeg

5BC7693B-6792-45C3-8685-C04C53B36A25.jpeg

A3488A15-31A3-42BA-BA32-F75F74D73A4F.jpeg

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
A few more showing the numbers…
C9575263-5C92-4CD4-9710-84000B4119B0.jpeg

E8FA86D2-0FE1-4E3B-9FEE-00D55706D64C.jpeg

Cylinder head number and date

95665F52-8724-4DFA-9005-A3B299B1B4CD.jpeg

62DD0CF5-E79A-49A5-8233-2E25A996B7E3.jpeg

…and the internal mess!

928B7399-6DD0-4B0B-B92D-3A6AF0B9D7DD.jpeg

So that begs the question if the head can even be rebuilt. Do I even want to? I’ll pull it just to see the cylinders.

cheers
dave

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a head that bad, wow! I would find a used head, even an early one, and the later heads are 1981 I think. I would make sure parts are available first like rocker shafts for one, they are NLA for the m10 motor. The 2.8 motor is smoother than the 3.0 believe it or not and with 9.0:1 vs. 8.0:1 it is a great motor. If want more power then it needs to be an m90 or b35.

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you want to keep it automatic, I've read some interesting threads around here about using the E24's 4HP22 for that fourth gear. I recall reading somewhere that even a ZF 5HP 30 would work. Both of those transmissions can take quite a bit of HP. Way cheaper than the ever-dwindling supply of Getrag 265s, too.

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s bad. Got the head off and you can clearly see the bad one!
F4C638D2-1243-4021-B19F-D2C63CD2BAA6.jpeg

I‘ll eventually pull the rest of everything. I know I’m planning a 5spd swap, but the motor? Not sure just yet. Been looking at donor cars to use and many threads on here about what motors to use and to stay away from.

A5F3A900-AA11-4C00-9439-7F393A1B2680.jpeg
Fun taking it apart thought!

-Dave

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'd stay matching numbers but go manual. If you absolutely twisted my arm I might go an engine swap but keep all the original parts as we are only custodians, not owners :)

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good thoughts, Wes. I’m thinking I’m going to send the motor out for a rebuild and keep it numbers matching. It’s only original once. Now to find a place that rebuilds them. Another search function for a freezing-rain dreary day!

Prost,
Dave

Bejoe16

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing this progress! I tend to stock up on getrag 265s so check back with me when you start looking.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I dunno.

#s matching means nothing unless you have a CSL.

On E9s, the VIN and model specifies what motor is in it.

#s matching is for Corvettes and Camaros that don't have any semblance of what motor came w/the car. From either a 327 to a 427.

Get a used, good running M30B35 and step up to fuel injection. Motronic 1.3.

That car has minimal rust? Looks like it needs to be totally stripped, dipped, and galvanized. You'll definitely be surprised on its condition when it comes back from the dipper/stripper.

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
I get it, Rob. I’m amazed that the general consensus of this car is modded is fine. Sometimes other makes and models don’t view that so kindly, but it is my car to do what I want with. I‘m still going back and forth with ideas. And lots of thread surfing and searching!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I prefer numbers matching, it adds to the survivor appeal for me. And it looks like it's getting harder to find by the day :)

Bejoe16

Reaction score
I prefer numbers matching, it adds to the survivor appeal for me. And it looks like it's getting harder to find by the day :)
I like to keep numbers matching engine with the car. I’m pulling the numbers matching in mine, wrapping it up on a stand and putting an m90 in my car. The original engine will always stay with the chassis.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I get it, Rob. I’m amazed that the general consensus of this car is modded is fine.
I think that is the case now. That may change over time. I don't think you can go wrong with a matching numbers engine.

Certainly the same case (now) with an automatic car. Those that haven't been converted are probably in the minority. I also wonder if that will change. Besides the originality factor, 20 years from now the need to be able to drive a stick shift may limit the buyer pool.

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
In reading the threads on engine swaps, it seems electronics makes the biggest issue with later model engines. I have a few leads on affordable driving cars for swaps but not sure what way to go just yet. One is a 1990 E34 5spd and the other a 1993 E36 5spd too. Both have higher mileage but up to date maintenance. Seems the easiest way to swap would be to buy the car and take what I need then send the hulk to the recycle place.

But in reference to just using the 2.8, is there an easy EFI swap?

I’m sure these are recurring questions and I’m doing a bunch of thread reading but sometimes it’s hard to find the answers.