‘71 2800 CSA Build thread

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The e34 would have the m30b35, which is the engine of choice for many because its an easy swap and provides tons of low end torque. And yes, buy the entire car, take what you need and then jetison the shell.

As to fuel injection conversions,- well...
Engine Bay.jpg

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I dunno.

#s matching means nothing unless you have a CSL.

On E9s, the VIN and model specifies what motor is in it.

#s matching is for Corvettes and Camaros that don't have any semblance of what motor came w/the car. From either a 327 to a 427.

Get a used, good running M30B35 and step up to fuel injection. Motronic 1.3.

That car has minimal rust? Looks like it needs to be totally stripped, dipped, and galvanized. You'll definitely be surprised on its condition when it comes back from the dipper/stripper.

Sorry Rob I don't agree on the matching numbers for our cars and can point to a list of past sales as long as your arm to support this. Camaro's etc have no relevance to this discussion.
You comment on E9s running different motors also isn't quite right either as carb/injected is still the same base engine. Ultimately owners can do what they like but if they come here asking for advice it should be at least grounded in fact.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ummmm.....I like. What's going on there? A thread link?

Dave
What's going on is that I often post in favor of carburetors when the topic of changing to fuel injection arises. I know I am giving up fuel economy and perhaps a little horsepower, and as with many analog things, periodic adjustments are required, but I like them as part of the classic car experience.

Last edited:

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
I gotcha. Thought that might have been a stealth EFI kit or something.

Good debate, and everyone has their own thoughts. I shouId Have the engine out next week or so.

dave

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wish I had the original engine for my car. Not having it and knowing I will likely never run across it makes decisions about what to put in its place easier. Well it should but I punish myself, so I acquired a 2.8 from a ‘71.

I think in the broader scale, perhaps someday originality will be key with these cars but with M30s having been made from 1968 to 1993 and it being relatively easy to make a later motor with similar architecture and a decent bump in power work along with other subtle things that make the car drive better and not look out of place, there seems to be about equal value in that versus an original numbers matching 3.0 CS. 2800s, I think people are still struggling with the heavier badge and how long it takes to say.

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The high buck non-CSL E9s one sees on the likes of BaT almost always have engine swaps and other modifications. I am happy that BMW scenes as a whole, by and large, are immune to the rampant highbrowing and originality condescension like many other scenes have (you know who they are).

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I gotcha. Thought that might have been a stealth EFI kit or something.

Good debate, and everyone has their own thoughts. I shouId Have the engine out next week or so.

dave
There are EFI kits that look like carbs. Of course you'd have to roll your own FI system to work with them.

Here are two different links for products that might fit the bill.

3moons

Site Donor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Great project. Have been through it myself over a 5 year period and despite wanting to give up along the way, I stuck with it. Now with a new car, it is very satisfying. Good luck. keep the same unbered engine if you can, these are like restored buildings and need all the architecture. Enjoy!
328117244_1260645431329528_6927236054652789175_n.jpg

Attachments

• 20024109_1782271461789888_5819278336123712423_o.jpg
    20024109_1782271461789888_5819278336123712423_o.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 45

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having restored many cars, I understand the aspects of keeping things original. Then on the other hand, improving the classics with modern technology is also a fun endeavor.

Great discussion and thanks for the thoughts. I’ll dive more into this car after my other project is done but meanwhile I’ll formulate a plan and search the threads here. What a tremendous site!

thanks guys

dave

Reaction score
There's certainly a balance of both.

In one's eyes, an art piece should be left alone "as is"- almost like a monumental value.

However, on the other end of this spectrum - a classic car can be more sustainable for enjoyment with a subtle approach towards modernism.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
A M30B35-swapped motor will always garner more money than a stock M30B28 in a 2800CS.

#s matching it's relevant because no one cared about that until 20 years ago when people faked Z28s, 427 vettes, and Shelby Mustangs.

No one is faking E9s.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A M30B35-swapped motor will always garner more money than a stock M30B28 in a 2800CS.

#s matching it's relevant because no one cared about that until 20 years ago when people faked Z28s, 427 vettes, and Shelby Mustangs.

No one is faking E9s.

Not from me (and I suspect some others). Numbers matching preference has been around a lot longer than 20 years. When I shopped for a ‘66 sting ray 43 years ago it was a thing. Same with my mustangs and 442’s I had in the 80’s. Nothing is absolute one way or the other with vintage cars, just a personal preference when choosing a car that checks one’s boxes. Not everyone is looking for more hp and/or modern fuel injection on their e9. My $.02

Last edited:

Bejoe16

Reaction score
Definitely think e9s are different in that the owners really tend to drive and enjoy them more compared to many other classics. Most will appreciate better reliability/hp/fuel efficiency. Although I was still very happy to find my 356 had numbers matching engine and I’m currently pulling the numbers matching out of the e9.

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
43E16700-C2A2-4276-BC8B-F1FCC04FAA52.jpeg

08CA1E45-8FCF-434D-A391-56932CA374DD.jpeg

so, does anyone know why there’s a water shutoff valve on the AC line? I’m going out on a limb to say this isn’t stock.

C3B448B2-436C-4544-98F8-6C14624186F2.jpeg

top of the motor off. I also found this tag on the transmission..
8924CD56-BFC6-4DDB-8A5D-89985238D1B0.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve seen that before and obviously the transmission has been “reconditioned” but whether it is the original one I have yet to tell. Did they stamp them or is it just a date thing?

Once I get the motor pulled I‘ll figure out a plan.

dave

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
8457AFDB-35B4-423C-AEDC-956E6B956425.jpeg

I did polish the glass and stainless, sat in the seat and made engine noises. Can’t wait to get it driving!

dave

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Never set the head valves down straight on a table. With the cam installed at least 2 valves are open.

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you not see what this head looks like in the previous photos? That's like saying don't place a screwdriver on the fender for fear of scratching the paint.