‘71 2800 CSA Build thread

tmh

Reaction score
My observations are that matching numbers on some makes and models can be important, even very important, but to most buyers, the E9's are generally not in that category. I agree with Rob that most buyers would take a nice 3.5 engine over a stock 2.8 or 3.0, given the choice. I also believe almost all buyers would prefer a 4 speed over an automatic and a 5 speed over a 4 speed. The same applies to limited slip differentials. Notice the use of the words "generally" and "most."

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d say those are very good observations for sure. It’s enjoyable to be associated with a make/model that you basically have Carte Blanche over what to do with it and improvements are welcomed to increase drivability. Something rarely seen with classics. Loving this car more and more!

dave

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bet that is a low side charging port. Instead of using a Schrader valve you turn the knob clockwise to open it while gauges are attached. Looks like high side is on the drier.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d say those are very good observations for sure. It’s enjoyable to be associated with a make/model that you basically have Carte Blanche over what to do with it and improvements are welcomed to increase drivability. Something rarely seen with classics. Loving this car more and more!

dave
That's a decidedly US way to look at owning an E9. When I visited Germany a few years ago I timed my visit with a meetup of an E9 group just outside of Berlin. Every car there was almost perfectly stock and I gathered that was the norm. What we consider "upgrades" are simply not done, at least by members of that group. There have been posters here from other European nations that have described some of the rigid registration rules that they must obey to keep their car licensed.

State specifics do vary here with California being the strictest but there is much leeway on what can be done. I'm a fan of upgrades that improve safety and reliability but will be keeping my original 2.8L engine, unless it blows up, of course.

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
I disagree. You can’t say that there is no other country that doesn’t have enthusiasts that want to modify their car in some sort of fashion. Decidedly US? It’s decidedly human creativity and mother of invention despite whatever country you visit.

I’m anxious to get this on the road that’s for sure! I’ve not seen any around here and I bet the local BMW dealer would love to see it!

dave

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I disagree. You can’t say that there is no other country that doesn’t have enthusiasts that want to modify their car in some sort of fashion. Decidedly US? It’s decidedly human creativity and mother of invention despite whatever country you visit.

I’m anxious to get this on the road that’s for sure! I’ve not seen any around here and I bet the local BMW dealer would love to see it!

dave
And I will wager that the dealer doesn’t know what it is. Wait til the parts guy asks for your VIN and it shows up as an e23.