$110k 2002 Turbo

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i saw this last night. there were a couple of 2002 turbos for sale last fall - one for $45k in california. was for sale for a long time, don't think it ever sold for that much. i think the chance of this one selling for this price is about as ... (fill in the blank). perhaps i am wrong, but i don't think so.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
holy crap - its already at $80k. i guess i better go buy the one i know of.

Buy mine, we can change some serial numbers, photoshop a fake race history and make a pile. I remember when the Paul Cain Tii got so many people worked up about it being flogged at 37K.

CSfan

Reaction score
Build Cost?!

Any thoughts? How much would you guys estimate on build cost total? I love me some 02's but for 110K. I think Carl Nelson can put together any spectacular CS's for 70K.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its not so much of the cost of the build - its the rarity that drives it up ... and this one has provenance.

CSLCOUPE

Reaction score
Let's see,, i can buy a 02 turbo for $20-30k, then another $100k+ to restore it (parts n labor)......or buy one done for $110k and save the aggravation ????
slap_zps145759ca.gif

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't see how some plating and a paint job equal 100K of restoration. I can get every bolt and bracket Cad plated on my car for about $200 locally.

CSLCOUPE

Reaction score
This car is a little bit more than some cad bolts and a paint job . If someone can't do the work themselves and they have to farm it out... 800-1000hrs for labor @ $70ish hr ,,, plus parts= easy $100k+.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I really don't see where the work was. The interior is still stock, seats not new. Plate bolts, powder coat suspension, pick good components. The 2002 is pretty quick to take apart. Anyway, I am in no way saying the work wasn't first rate, nor do I have the skills to do anything to this level. (The rusty brake line makes me say WTF though)
It is not the Montbomb I saw at the car show today .
P1020086_zps82b79f59.jpg

It is a lovely 2002 and the nicest one I can think of. One other Nit. The Dunlop Direzza is the cheaper lower grip version of the Star Spec. Not a fitting tire on a $110K Turbo.

Last edited:

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think many people are trying to equate the value of a regular 2002 sedan to the lovely CS coupes, which is an unfair comparison. E9 wins everytime. But a relatively stock 2002 Turbo in fairly nice condition, but will require further work to make "perfect" will fetch $50K all day long. A complete restoration of a 2002 Turbo will always be worth quite a bit more than a similar condition E9 coupe. I know this fact is a shock to us, but, this is the reality of the present situation.

This car is not Alvin Tan's restored Turbo, but I think the owner used Tan's car as inspiration. I've seen Alvin's complete nuts and bolts restored Turbo in person a few times, and may very well be one of the best condition 2002 T in the world. While I've not seen the "finished product" of this Turbo in question, I can state that I have seen the progress of the body restoration/paint throughout the last few years while it was being done at UUAC body/paint shop in Burlingame CA. Don't know about the original body condition or how much rust it had, but the finished car body is as flawless as they come. The completed body which consists of many new oem BMW panels is probably better than the one that came off the BMW assembly line back in the 1970's. My estimate for the body/paint work alone is be about $30K.

Much has been made about Alvin's restored CSi, which is really nice, but it was basically a cosmetic body/interior restoration, but not the rotisserie nuts and bolts variety, so it does not compare to his world class 2002 Turbo resto project. I'll have to say the Turbo being discussed on this thread (with the few minor flaws) is on par with Alvin's car. $110K maybe a tad high, but I envision seeing this car being eventually sold in the $85-95K range.

Just my 02 cents.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
guys, while i don't necessarily think a 2002 turbo is worth $110k. i do think that its worth 2 to 3 times what a 2002tii is worth in the same condition

there's a lot of things that are similar - but there is a whole lot that is different. that turbo comes on hard. like the way a 930 from the same period hit.

CSLCOUPE

Reaction score
When someone wants to step up to the plate and buy a 02 turbo, have it restored to the calibre of this one (not just paint n hose clamps). Then sell it for $50-60k ...... CASH WAITING .

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When someone wants to step up to the plate and buy a 02 turbo, have it restored to the calibre of this one (not just paint n hose clamps). Then sell it for $50-60k ...... CASH WAITING .
i agree ... and as i said before, this one has provenance. proving it is what it is, has been cared for most of its life, won some concours ...

CSfan

Reaction score
Replica

Most of you know there are replica's built such as the 356 Porsche's , 911 RS's. I wonder how come there are no replicas being put together or built in the BMW world? Say someone takes a 2800CS body and have a CSL commission by Carl? I wonder why? I come from a Porsche back ground and seen some beautiful replicas. I can't see why someone can't replicate this 02 for way less with more FUN S14 engine. I know some would say "provenance" but I can't see myself jumping in an 02 for 110K even if it won 10 titles. Just my opinion. Makes it fun to talk about. Comments?