123ignition distributor install

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve--I bought the red coil on EBay for $55. Thanks for the info. No sense in going NOS when so much of this coupe has changed from the original.
My 123 dizzy is blue tooth operated and I can't post a graph. But I did copy down the numbers for the curve now in the 123.

Here are the centrifugal curve numbers:
  1. 500 RPM @ 15 degrees
  2. 1300 @ 15
  3. 1600 @ 24
  4. 2000 @ 30
  5. 2500 @ 34
  6. 3000 @ 36
  7. 8000 @ 37

The MAP curve:
Only 2 values
3 Abs. pressure 30 10.0 degrees crankshaft
4 Abs. Press 50 10.0 degrees

All others are zero from 0 pressure to 200.

I think the car runs very strong in all 5 gears. I accelerated onto the expressway in 3rd gear at about 80 MPH and almost 5000 RPM with throttle not floored this Sunday morning. Traffic prevented me from going any faster.
I picked up another 25 HP in looks only with the Vapor Blasted and painted black valve cover. And the stainless cap nuts didn't hurt either....

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 193

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the Schrick 282 cam with the valve cover off during the change of valve covers. The oil change was 3 weeks ago. This engine has only 4800 miles since it was installed by the PO back in 2006. Korman told me it might not be broken in yet. I poured in 20W50 Valvoline VR1 after getting the correct filter for the cannister-1984 E24 635 CSi

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 181

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The vacuum curve is the MAP graph? I don't know where the restoration shop came up with it. They did the initial distr. installation and set up these 2 graphs. I just opened the 123 AP on my phone to read the info. I posted. I'll ask to see if they remember where they got these figures.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
had a quick look to shoot "static advance" but can't see the pointer ! as far as i see the water hose and upper front cover ( blinded ex distributor cap ) is blocking the view . Had to have a look at my spare engine were the pointer was....yes, in the middle of the front cover....and just a OT mark on the CPS wheel . ( '86 B34)

VIG

Reaction score
Received my 123ignition distributor today. I bought the tuneable version which allows you to program any mechanical and vacuum curve you want and adjust it on the fly (think dyno) from a laptop. I think it is worth the extra $26 for the tuneable version so you don't have to limit yourself to the preprogrammed curves, especially if you have made engine changes (webers etc.) and dealing with today's crappy fuel.

I bought it from 123ignitionusa.com on Saturday and took 2 days to get here-quick-which is good because I am impatient lol. The build quality appears very good and in my research online I'd say it gets 99% positive reviews. So on to the e9 install.

I put my engine at TDC and had the old dist. out already, here is what it the 123 looks like (comes with new rotor and cap):
IMG_0904.JPG

The round area to the left of the wires is the USB port. Here it is mounted with the rotor pointing in the area of #1 cylinder. I also replaced the shaft o-ring (which didn't look like it fit very well) with an oem one I had in the parts bin. Installed:
IMG_0906.JPG

USB cable and I shrink-tubed the wires:
IMG_0907.JPG

Computer interface dashboard. Temp, RPM, Advance, Vacuum/Boost, coil current (what does this tell me?):
IMG_0908.JPG

Curve graphs, these can be designed, saved, exported and tweaked. The rev limit can also be set here, I did 6400rpm:
IMG_0909.JPG

As a starter I based mine on having manifold vacuum increase advance at idle, drop off as throttle opens under acceleration, then mechanical is there to do its job, I have it all in at 3500 rpm at 32 degrees but I will likely lower this to 3000 rpm but need something to start with.

I made a spreadsheet to help set up curves, it has the Blue Book one, mechanical, vacuum, then plotted for total advance and comparison, then imported into the tune software:
Advance%2520Curve%2520Sheet1.jpg

Here's how it looks on the car. Me likey:
IMG_0915.JPG

There are 4 wires to hook up, red to 12v at the coil (I did it before the ballast resistor, black to neg coil, blue to ground (ballast bolt), and yellow which can be connected to a switch to toggle between 2 stored curves (haven't fooled with this yet).
IMG_0913.JPG

There are some things to do to set it's starting point (all in the cryptic instructions) before hooking it all up and firing it up which I then did. Did not start. Checked and rechecked over everything and decided to give it a bunch of manual advance and then it started right up.

Right away I could tell it idled smoother. No doubt. I let it warm up, used a strobe to set the all in timing amount to match the software (I guess this correlates the two). Here is what it looks like running:
IMG_0911.JPG

I then checked mixtures on each barrel since the timing has changed and then played with the software a little, I need to redo some of the curves based on the amount of vacuum my Webers pull etc. but you can adjust advance and retard with the keyboard as well as change the curves. Very cool stuff. They claim that it has the ability to detect each cylinder's firing strength based on rotational variances and adjust accordingly for max power.

I have yet to take it on the road but already I can tell the engine is happier - I have never seen my engine idle as smoothly as this, with hardly any hood shake at the top (my benchmark). I still have a small random miss now and again but that is likely fuel or vacuum leak related.

Am looking forward to test driving it. More to follow as I tweak and settle on the right curves. And give the final opinion on if it's worth the $$$.

VIG

Reaction score
Received my 123ignition distributor today. I bought the tuneable version which allows you to program any mechanical and vacuum curve you want and adjust it on the fly (think dyno) from a laptop. I think it is worth the extra $26 for the tuneable version so you don't have to limit yourself to the preprogrammed curves, especially if you have made engine changes (webers etc.) and dealing with today's crappy fuel.

I bought it from 123ignitionusa.com on Saturday and took 2 days to get here-quick-which is good because I am impatient lol. The build quality appears very good and in my research online I'd say it gets 99% positive reviews. So on to the e9 install.

I put my engine at TDC and had the old dist. out already, here is what it the 123 looks like (comes with new rotor and cap):
IMG_0904.JPG

The round area to the left of the wires is the USB port. Here it is mounted with the rotor pointing in the area of #1 cylinder. I also replaced the shaft o-ring (which didn't look like it fit very well) with an oem one I had in the parts bin. Installed:
IMG_0906.JPG

USB cable and I shrink-tubed the wires:
IMG_0907.JPG

Computer interface dashboard. Temp, RPM, Advance, Vacuum/Boost, coil current (what does this tell me?):
IMG_0908.JPG

Curve graphs, these can be designed, saved, exported and tweaked. The rev limit can also be set here, I did 6400rpm:
IMG_0909.JPG

As a starter I based mine on having manifold vacuum increase advance at idle, drop off as throttle opens under acceleration, then mechanical is there to do its job, I have it all in at 3500 rpm at 32 degrees but I will likely lower this to 3000 rpm but need something to start with.

I made a spreadsheet to help set up curves, it has the Blue Book one, mechanical, vacuum, then plotted for total advance and comparison, then imported into the tune software:
Advance%2520Curve%2520Sheet1.jpg

Here's how it looks on the car. Me likey:
IMG_0915.JPG

There are 4 wires to hook up, red to 12v at the coil (I did it before the ballast resistor, black to neg coil, blue to ground (ballast bolt), and yellow which can be connected to a switch to toggle between 2 stored curves (haven't fooled with this yet).
IMG_0913.JPG

There are some things to do to set it's starting point (all in the cryptic instructions) before hooking it all up and firing it up which I then did. Did not start. Checked and rechecked over everything and decided to give it a bunch of manual advance and then it started right up.

Right away I could tell it idled smoother. No doubt. I let it warm up, used a strobe to set the all in timing amount to match the software (I guess this correlates the two). Here is what it looks like running:
IMG_0911.JPG

I then checked mixtures on each barrel since the timing has changed and then played with the software a little, I need to redo some of the curves based on the amount of vacuum my Webers pull etc. but you can adjust advance and retard with the keyboard as well as change the curves. Very cool stuff. They claim that it has the ability to detect each cylinder's firing strength based on rotational variances and adjust accordingly for max power.

I have yet to take it on the road but already I can tell the engine is happier - I have never seen my engine idle as smoothly as this, with hardly any hood shake at the top (my benchmark). I still have a small random miss now and again but that is likely fuel or vacuum leak related.

Am looking forward to test driving it. More to follow as I tweak and settle on the right curves. And give the final opinion on if it's worth the $$$.
This was so helpful. I’m thinking of buying a distributor but couldn’t find anything in the market. Do you have the link or model number you bought from 123ignition? Many thanks!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
depends on where you live and if you have a cs or csi?

This was so helpful. I’m thinking of buying a distributor but couldn’t find anything in the market. Do you have the link or model number you bought from 123ignition? Many thanks!

shanon

Reaction score
+1
Yes, thx for the informative write -up Steve!

I'm at the tail end of my triple 45 install with the 123 Blue tooth dizzy. Basically, it is a home built Alpina B2/B2s (yes, it has the 300* cam and big valves).
123 Dizzy is in (whatta pita) and its talking to my phone, it's very novel. Now sorting out some Webers fine tuning jet details (ordering parts) and need to set/play with the dizzy curves.

Stay tuned, no pun intended ;)

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
+1
Yes, thx for the informative write -up Steve!

I'm at the tale end of my triple 45 install with the 123 Blue tooth dizzy. Basically, it is a home built Alpina B2/B2s (yes, it has the 300* cam and big valves).
123 Dizzy is in (whatta pita) and its talking to my phone, it's very novel. Now sorting out some Webers fine tuning jet details (ordering parts) and need to set/play with the dizzy curves.

Stay tuned, no pun intended ;)
Good luck, you are a trailblazer.