137th Built 1971 3.0CSI BMW

d-ace

Reaction score
Since many CS BMW enthusiast a few well knowledgeable on this forum have call about this car over the last few days and it is appreciated to see how many there are now days I thought it would be appropriate to post it again.
Bob Morgan
http://shred-master.com/new_page_2.htm

Hello I am contacting many to see if someone would be interested in a 1971 European Injected 3.0CSI BMW I am selling. Vin numbers 2260137 checked by BMW shows this is the 137th 3.0 CSI ever built by BMW.
As many know these cars below 5000 production units are special especially this European body style that put BMW into a big market and where they are today. This is a project car I have worked on for years and is now 90% restored just paint and glass reinstalled along with some interior parts. This is one of many cars I have restored since the 1960’s.

I bought this car right off the boat from Germany years ago. It was registered in the state of California and drove for a few months before starting restoration. Car was entirely stripped including all latex and undercoating which takes months. The body was then tank dropped in muriatic and phosphate acid for 7-days following days in a neutralizing tank. As many know this is the only way to remove any and all corrosion in all compartments and as most know the correct way to start for a true restored car.

Car has replaced:
New front nose clip
New front wheel wells
New fenders
New rocker panels
All OEM BMW parts
All were replaced after acid burn one at a time welded with a Lincoln spot welder backed-up with mig welds every few inches. Car was on a steel car frame during restoration.

Car was then coated inside including all compartments with two gallons of Mar-Hyde synthic latex which seals all air from contacting metal. Then coated including all compartments with a rust preventive primer coat. All seams were then sealed and coated inside including motor compartment and trunk plus all wheel wells and bottom with Evercoat undercoating.

Cars motor has been rebuilt.
New Heavy Duty Bilsteins shocks
New Coils
New Tie rods
New brakes
New rotors
All calipers rebuilt
All lines brake and fuel were replaced.
And many more things.
Upgraded rims with new tires although have stock rims.
Many extra parts body parts from another CS cars.

This car was being restored for myself although after the last offer of $40,000 finished many years ago by the actor Michael Douglas but then he divorced and moved out of the country it was hard to finish for my personal street use.
Car has only about 10% of work left just cosmetics.
Car has set on car stands lock in a garage in a plastic bag for years just starting the motor.
Make offer serious inquires only please.
Santa Barbara California area.
Please feel free to contact me Bob at [email protected]

Last edited:

d-ace

Reaction score
Just to add, this CSI also has a new set of costly stainless headers and complete exhaust system front to back.
One other point, I have worked on many BMW’s and any that has been drove in just rain conditions will have interior structure corrosion especially after 35+-years since released. BMW once spot welding body parts on at the factory in those days example such as rocker panels did not recoat the welds inside the closed structure afterwards. These cars can look like new on the outside but very deceiving once checked inside. Many are very questionable just to drive due to inter structure corrosion damage especially sub-frame rocker panels and upper wheel well strut contact area.
This CSI car is not just a simple media blasting & paint or sand blasted restoration leaving many water trap compartments untouched plus blasting can deform body parts. It was time consuming done correct stripped over many months then completely acid dipped for 9 days which is no long allow in most states in the USA anymore.
When buying one of the just a small number of made CS models you must conceder the years of corrosion that can be devastating to your investment and lost of car in a short time as a few have shown on this forum.
Only 1061 CSI’s were made in 1971 although the most popular model and most produced by BMW between 1971 to 1975 of all the CS models.
As said before this is the 137th ever built CSI BMW completely and correctly restored just cosmetics left outer paint, restore seats to original and reinstall glass. Plus the car has been registered in the state of California and I have a USA pink slip.
This is truly a once in a lifetime chance to buy hundreds of hours of work restored correctly with original OEM BMW parts that are now discontinued and no longer available and only needs a good body shop to paint, reinstall trim and glass plus update interior to original.
See a few pics below.
Make offer, please serious inquires only this was a big investment and hundreds of hours of work. Restoration as done on this CSI now days would be too costly to do if not impossible.
Santa Barbara California area.
Please feel free to contact me Bob at [email protected]

Maybe this will work on photos if not click below.
http://shred-master.com/new_page_2.htm

M6_1988

Reaction score
would you have better and more picture, the car does not look very attractive in your pics so far. Thanks

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I am to visit this specimen tomorrow afternoon and if anyone has any specific questions regarding #137 please post or PM them to me prior to eleven PST.

Cheers!

Ran

d-ace

Reaction score
M6_1988
I will be shooting more pics this next week although when a car is ready for a complete paint job this is what they look like and glad to be there. You should have seen it when it first went into the acid tank. Once out after 9 days submerged, it looked like chrome although the best synthic latex would not burn to it (react), but that’s another simple process you learn to do after years of restoring cars.

jranmann
Randy, bring your magnifying glass, see if you can see any of the leading in the seams, especially nose clip to fenders right up front. Lead seams are how these older BMW cars were done at the factory.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Randy, I feel you have found your car, a Euro, and with the acid tank treatment a body that will last forever. Go for it, just be careful this car doesn't trigger a divorce like for Michael Douglas.

Good luck Ran, do send your notes, and feel free to consult the board. I can send you a vial of my own gastric acid so you can really test the latex coating. Just for you Woz.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Randy, I feel you have found your car, a Euro, and with the acid tank treatment a body that will last forever. Go for it, just be careful this car doesn't trigger a divorce like for Michael Douglas.

Good luck Ran, do send your notes, and feel free to consult the board. I can send you a vial of my own gastric acid so you can really test the latex coating. Just for you Woz.

Roger Dodger Steve...I will take some pix and inspect the hemline on this lass...by the way do you know why the Brooklyn/LA Dodgers are called that? (Bonus points for the detailed answer)

I am going to bring my chemistry set to test a few areas of the chassis and if it don't fall apart right then and there I will likely become even more interested. Bob the seller here seems a very likable chap with a host of great stories that we can share over a few Coronas!

BTW: just what is the value of #137 as mustering all my CS acumen I cannot tell this example from other uncompleted projects I have looked at before in the under $20k price range. Please anyone?

Having worked as a film editor in Santa Monica for years the tales of Michael Douglas abound and his divorce seemed not to be connected to his avid interest in Coupes and subsequent offer to Bob ($40k) to take over stewardship of this Coupe so any other dirt you might be able to share might make the visit up to Carpinteria a bit more interesting today?

Steve my next trip north will be to Cupertino to collect your Spleen and carefully transport it to the Museum of Technology in Los Angeles, to show future students what can happen when one has a great idea for human progress and then, accomplishing same, let the likes of Bill Gates (and his lawyers) in the door at Apple!

Cheers!

Woz

DavidIan

Reaction score
'71 csi

In 1911 the team changes its name to the name Trolley Dodgers named after the citizens of Brooklyn who had to duck and dodge the many Trolleys that crisscrossed the Borough of Brooklyn at the time. Prior to becoming the Dodgers they were known as the Superbas, the Bridegrooms, and the Atlantics.

Good luck with the car.

Dave

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is midnight on Sunday and we haven't heard from Randy. I am tempted to declare a California amber alert.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
In 1911 the team changes its name to the name Trolley Dodgers named after the citizens of Brooklyn who had to duck and dodge the many Trolleys that crisscrossed the Borough of Brooklyn at the time. Prior to becoming the Dodgers they were known as the Superbas, the Bridegrooms, and the Atlantics.

Good luck with the car.

Dave

Dave...perhaps you should apply and take over for Vin Scully after he retires? Full bonus points and the normal perfect score for you!

Indeed it's even more 'dodgy' than you claim, as the trolly tracks (see photo) all came together in front of Ebbett's field where the team played and one was taking their life in their hands to even approach the ticket window! Picture is from opening day 4/9/1913

800px-Ebbets1913OpeningDay.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebbets_Field

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone truly interested in Bob's '71 please send me a PM and I will divulge all that I know. Motor was not run for me as the clutch plate was stuck and evidently had not been run in years, Body and otherwise it looks great!

Ran

d-ace

Reaction score
I am glad you enjoyed the bodywork done on this CSI Randy. Although about the motor as I said the car has not been moved just setting on stands for about two years since my wife got cancer which she died from (a little busy). You insisted to see the car this weekend when I was very busy and others were waiting until Tuesday when the car would be prepped and I would have a new battery to start the motor. I suggested not confirmed most even with a new clutch and pressure plate plus flywheel surfacing that are not moved this long can have a clutch-disengaging problem. If it is a problem this is a walk in the park about 2-3 hours to resolve with flywheel surfacing. As you seen with my Euro 635CSI that redlines at 6500 RPM’s how strong I setup these motors. This 3.0 CSI has a rebuilt motor with new 3” stainless steel headers and muffler (CA. exempt from smog test) it will run strong once tuned. For serious inquires this car will be running when you come to see it.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Go for it jranmann...there are talkers and there are doers. Lets start doing and buy the car so you can really feel our pain when things go wrong instead of just talking about it as a third party. Do it jaranmann do it!!!! Do it before we get too old... or better yet before these cars rusts as you wait.
abe

pamp

Reaction score
Rust free

Bob,
So sorry to you and your family. Yours appears to be a rare find as you say, enviromental regs prevent the process you used to make a good shell. A friend in Vancouver finished building a shell using two cars. 500 + hrs of body man $$ for just the basic shell. Break out your calculators boys...and with all the additional work you have done and parts, parts, parts, well, you are sure to find a sensible buyer. A couple of good bumps in gear with the clutch partially depressed should free the clutch... Sorry to state the obvious! I wish you the best of luck for the New Year.
Al in Comox

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am starting to think that Randy's quest (ex film editor) is part of a reality show in the making. SurvivE9rs.
Are the Salahi's in the picture?

Go for this one, it has your name all over. If you need help driving down the price just post the pictures and the board will oblige.

Randy! Randy! Randy!

pamp

Reaction score
Sitting on the fence

Sometimes sitting and lurking in ambush is not a bad idea. The misery of rust, sometimes never abated entirely. If I was not so long into my own, I would buy this car. Maybe I still can. A good investment as it looks to me. But as a mechanic, I have no fear for the the running gear, just the stuff I cannot do. Uphostery, paint and fender. And no decent paint show can be done for under 5k...sorry chicane.