1970 e9 on bring a trailer

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Heebee jeebee, that is a sharp car. For some reason this one makes me reconsider the idea of painting my coupe its original Polaris color. I am feeling optimistic about this one. My guess: $58k.

(I know, I am typically Mr. lowball...) :D

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
in my heart i would like to see 55k to 58k, i just think there is a prejudice toward a 2800cs ... it is reinforced by Hagerty's value book. i faced it when i got insurance on my 2800cs ... if i had a 3.0cs they would have insured the car for 10k more. i really hope i am wrong.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the look of those fat side-wall tires. What a classic 1970’s profile. I think this looks better than the 16” Alpina and BBS options.

I wish you would’ve said so before I ordered my bbs 16 inch wheels. I forgot to guess. I’m going say $68,000

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest the 2800 factor is negated by the drivetrain mods and guess a $65k sale. Looks nice.
oops, i missed that the brakes were changed to disks, which means rears ... that's a major difference. but, it doesn't say that the front + rear brakes / calipers were changed to vented disks.

i actually like the 2.8L engine and don't think that is ever a negative ... i was thinking they hadn't specified which 3.5L engine and was guessing a b34, but ... it says it came from the e32 which does have a m30 b35 engine ... so there's another positive.

it has a petri - positive.

so, if informed buyers look, the number will go higher. as i said, i hope i am wrong.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a great example and in a great color combo that will appeal to many in my view. While the 2800cs badge attracts half the NADA-Book value, the upgrades and condition will likely overcome that and I would dare say the buyer will not care what the book value is. With my heart, I will place my gavel price at 70k.

Some aspects of interest though - the airbox and MAF - These are B34 - at least the airbox and corner duct definitely is. The MAF may be B35 but is missing the plastic cover. This may have been intentional to look a bit more period correct. I think the work under the hood is great - very clean. I actually think overall the car is a fantastic example and only for that reason would ask the person who did the respray: why not remove the side markers and cover the automatic badge holes? Also, if the upper dash and cowel was recovered anyway, why not do the lower to remove the imprint of the automatic lights? Finally, for $25 why not add a nice chrome finisher to the exhaust? I say these things not to be a ass, but really wonder in the scheme of what we know had to be quite a costly restoration to miss these small details. I do really like this example and it helps reaffirm my bias toward Polaris being a great showcase of the E9. Good luck to the owner and I think it is a shame for him to sell. I keenly watch this one...

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score

scottd

Reaction score
My guess is $47,5k. Beautiful car, but maybe stigma of 2800cs, color change, etc. may hold it back - albeit unfairly.
personally- Not sure I like silver with tan interior. Again, beautiful car overall, and I too love the wheels. Just right IMHO.

Hope it gets all the money, but not sure if will. Interested to see.

Scott

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not sure I like silver with tan interior.
Funny thing is, the reason I seem to like the Polaris on this one so much is the saddle interior. Finally, a silver coupe without blue interior (evidently a stigma from childhood that I can't shake). :)

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
very personal , but i don't like brown interiors at all...no matter what car color.
For me it must be black.

I don't know the US market ofcourse , so i make a wild guess $57k :)

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
$45k and I hope i'm way off. I personally love the car but think the 2800 aspect will hurt the value in this case slightly. When investing in a car at this level, the model specifics start to come into play. If purchasing as a driver it's not as much of an issue IMHO. While I feel like I'm throwing stones in a glass house with this comment (considering what my cars look like at the moment) it does seems a bit crazy to go through a repaint of this quality and not pull the side markers or fill the auto emblem holes. Again, so minor as the car is excellent but it's those little things that can sometimes make the difference.