1970 e9 on bring a trailer

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
So just curious, how do we know that there’s not a lot of internal rust in the rockers or other areas behind glovebox etc. if there has never been a bare metal restoration

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
We dont. [emoji1]

That’s what I thought. Just trying to get a comparison sense on my restoration compared to this vehicle. My gut would tell me that provided my car comes out as I’m hoping it will that whatever remediation we did on Rust is likely better than what is hiding under this vehicle. I really hope they get this price.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To be fair, there are several non-destructive inspection opportunities that should provide an indication of how solid it might be in some if these areas. But I think one would need to take panels off and drill some holes in order to know all areas comprehensively. And no seller is going to be keen on that.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
To be fair, there are several non-destructive inspection opportunities that should provide an indication of how solid it might be in some if these areas. But I think one would need to take panels off and drill some holes in order to know all areas comprehensively. And no seller is going to be keen on that.

For this kind of money, you would think that the buyer would insist upon some evidence of non-intrusive inspection and pictures. I have to imagine that if no rust through mediation was done and validated in the last 10 years or so that there’s likely to be some rust hiding

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, is this based on the complexity of getting to the core location?

Yes, taking all the panels out and sourcing a good unit then wedging it back in there is very labor intensive and back breaking work. Then you have to get the panels to fit back correctly too. And then get the remaining ac system installed and sealed up etc. $$$$

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
$72K.

I made a statement that polaris cars don’t seem to do well at auction. Foot inserted in mouth...

LTIII

Reaction score
This BAT auction is KILLING me. This car was listed on eBay back in December. Bidding got to about $53k, but did not make reserve. I had some questions about the car, so the listing broker put me in contact with the owner. He was a very nice guy, and seemed to have a nice collection he was selling off. He told me he wanted $56k. After some research here on this forum, and speaking with some of you, I was ready to buy it sight unseen. It was Ed Ricci’s Car, and there seemed to be quite a bit known about its history. I love this color combo, and the mods check all the boxes for me. We tried to coordinate a time to fly out to see the car in person, but with Christmas, New Year and the owner heading off to Florida for the winter, we just couldn’t make it happen. We traded texts off and on over the winter, but I got the sense he wasn’t going to do anything about selling it until he returned from wintering in FL. So, to see it pop up on BAT is KILLING me! Lesson learned...snooze, you lose.

Dohn

Reaction score
Concur about the agreed value. My coupe has many of the same mods as this one, plus working a/c, so I'm pleased to see that it's getting all the money. This sale may be spring fever, but I'm hoping this is an indication of a bump in coupe values, even for the ones that aren't purebreds.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Riddle me this Batman: if you had a choice between a matching numbers rebuilt engine with a new cylinder head, new camshaft, and new Weber’s or a more modern engine like the one in this group which one would you think is more valuable?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting question Scott. I really haven't tracked these options relative to value. But I can give you my personal experience/feelings. :) When I bought my car, the PO told me the car had a newer 3.5L engine that was implanted along with the 5-speed trans. I was very excited about this - free from having to be "original", and more power. But then I discovered that the block is numbers matching (even though it has been built with different pistons and cam). I was very excited about this, and feel the originality is cool. Evidently I get excited about a lot of things. :D

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This BAT auction is KILLING me. This car was listed on eBay back in December. Bidding got to about $53k, but did not make reserve. I had some questions about the car, so the listing broker put me in contact with the owner. He was a very nice guy, and seemed to have a nice collection he was selling off. He told me he wanted $56k. After some research here on this forum, and speaking with some of you, I was ready to buy it sight unseen. It was Ed Ricci’s Car, and there seemed to be quite a bit known about its history. I love this color combo, and the mods check all the boxes for me. We tried to coordinate a time to fly out to see the car in person, but with Christmas, New Year and the owner heading off to Florida for the winter, we just couldn’t make it happen. We traded texts off and on over the winter, but I got the sense he wasn’t going to do anything about selling it until he returned from wintering in FL. So, to see it pop up on BAT is KILLING me! Lesson learned...snooze, you lose.

Did the owner share what he has done to this coupe during his ownership?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Riddle me this Batman: if you had a choice between a matching numbers rebuilt engine with a new cylinder head, new camshaft, and new Weber’s or a more modern engine like the one in this group which one would you think is more valuable?
Scott, this is a question of how one would plan to use their coupe. if you want a garage queen / museum piece - no question, original matching numbers engine and keep everything as original as possible. if you want to buy a coupe to drive and enjoy, i think you either want a matching numbers 3.0csi or you want a coupe with a 3.5L (euro b34 / m90 / m30 b35) in that order ... or a 2.8 / 3.0 with a new head w/ cam and triples. in reality, its just a compression thing ... the euro b34 is 10:1 and with a rebuild + cam its easy to get to 240 hp. the m90 + b35 are very close. you can make those engines look very similar to a 3.0csi although a knowledgeable person knows the difference ... the point is, they look vintage.

this is just my opinion - YMMV
scott

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm keeping my original engine, recently acquired some piano top pistons which will go in this summer to compliment the Schrick cam and triple Webers. Should give me enough pep to provide some more excitement with numbers matching.