1971 3.0 csi bmw restored project car

d-ace

Reaction score
I have shown this CSI on here before the one that is a complete ground up restoration. Also everything was replaced mechanical all the way to new brake lines and gas lines plus much more. The last time I posted the car I had numerous good responses many nice people to talk to about the 3.0CSI called. Although due to one questionable member at that time I have not posted on here for a while. Plus at this time of year is the only time I can show the car due to my business in the spring and summer I am to busy. So I am posting it again at few places and here is the info again >> http://shred-master.com/new_page_2.htm

Please serious inquires only this was a big investment and years of work. Restoration as done on this CSI now days would be too costly to do if not impossible due to parts and materials. I am asking for a reasonable price on car, parts and materials plus a reasonable price for the work done although all offers would be consider need to sell.

If interested here is my contact info.
[email protected]
Call Bob @ 805-566-9154

Last edited:

d-ace

Reaction score
I have shown this car on here a few times and received many inquiries although just tire kickers no one that called was serious.
I was just wondering what the members on here would think a respectful reasonable offer would be for this CSI and the ground up restoration done on this car.
Keep in mind to start this is a true tank dropped rust free car. All rust removed from seems, all closed compartments and especially rocker panels. Along with many replaced OEM body parts plus numerous replaced mechanical parts and updated parts.

As many know the most negative aspect of these couples is the notorious rust that has developed over almost 40-years in these cars.
Anyone attempting to preserve these couples should know restoration is the same as remodeling a house. You cannot just build on a termite-rotted foundation. The new wood in rooms to the roof using the finest paint will only come tumbling down in time.
Anyhow lets see what many on here think this car in this condition would be a fair price to sell.
Thanks

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You have some problems you might want to deal with that aren't helping you sell your car.

And BTW- the engine looks great and I have no problem with your price.

Many buyers have watched you post on Craigslist for quite some time now-

In fact your ad in San Francisco is flagged right now:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2007066941.html

You have also posted recently in :

Orange County
Kuwait
New York
Philadelphia
Houston
Los Angeles

http://www.google.com/search?q=805-...official&prmd=iv&filter=0&fp=499faa430ac3503f

All of this since Sept 29th.

And yes you have a live ad in the SF Valley right now- more spam..

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/2017428159.html

Regular users of Craigslist [and many of the members of this forum are] recognize that posting in Kuwait when the car is in Carpinteria CA is considered spamming . Spamming is one of those things you agreed NOT to do when you opened your account at Craigslist.

As a regular on the Craigslist Flag Help Forum, I have watched your ads getting regularly flagged off sites all over the globe for a long time now.

You should consider following the Craigslist rule:

Can I post my ad on more than one craigslist site?

Please choose just ONE craigslist site for which your ad is most relevant - this should generally be the site closest to where you are located. If your ad is equally relevant to all locations, your ad does not belong on local craigslist sites at all, please find another service.

Posting the same ad to multiple locations is considered spamming, and is prohibited.

Maybe buyers are looking at your intentional disregard of the posting rules and considering you might not be the ethical guy they would like to do business with.

Thanks! and good luck selling your car...

d-ace

Reaction score
I am a little confused, I thought I was posting on e9coupe.com although I see you have an investigation going into my Craigslist posts over the last few months. Do you work at Craigslist, maybe the Craigslist’s rules or police department, why the riot act about that it's just advertizing?
Isn’t there something you would like to ask me about the restoration of this CSI? Maybe how it was coated after tank dropping, what body parts were removed and replaced with OEM BMW parts. Or how it was spot welded back together, then coated twice in all closed compartments not to have the massive amount of rust there these cars ALL have in that location. What about all the mechanical parts that have been replaced and updated.
You know “sfdon” something on the subject of BMW CS cars or advertising F/S on this board.
About a year ago when I post on here a guy came on talking about my CSI then just when way off the subject of this section “Classifieds Cars F/S”. This time could we please talk about what this CSI BMW has to offer? I am just a guy trying to sell a car on here and don't want to get chased off again by someone that is on this board day and night.
And “sfdon” since you are interested I do have one post on Craigslist running in Los Angeles and I thought advertising for sale cars is what Craigslist does, not spam.
As I said all I am trying to do is sell my CSI if not interested what do you care! And isn’t there anything you have to say more than one line of “And BTW- the engine looks great and I have no problem with your price.”in your long post above?
Thanks “sfdon” not much help........

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ace, I don't think Don is trying to be combative, from my vantage he is pointing out maybe why there may be hesitance on the part of coupe-searchers. I think your car is very impressive too and respect what you have done to it but also have also noticed the different city listings in CL (I think a Florida was on once too) which to me if you wanted a national exposure then something like eBay or Autotrader would be an option. I think Don's trying to give the perspective of the potential buyer and to keep CL off your back, not a critique of your car or you. Just my $.02.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Ace, I agree with Don's and Steve's comments. And Don is a reputable BMW professional, by all reports, so his comments about the price and the build are good counsel. You may wish to try bringatrailer.com, since they like interesting projects, and they love e9s. You will get worldwide exposure. I read it every day, as do thousands of others.
Scott

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I also thought the post was to point out why people had reservations and why you had a hard time selling it. I also thought he was giving good advice and not trying to put you down.
..if I were to start all over I would love to have started with your car. Looks like it will make somebody very happy in the future
abe

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think that perhaps part of the challenge in finding a new owner for your coupe is that not everyone wants to finish someone else's project. You have provided lots of details into the restoration of body and mechanical which is very important, but I don't see anything concerning what it would take to finish, 10% doesn't mean anything to a prospective buyer. Does it need new glass, trim, rechroming of bumpers, headliner, leather, door cards, carpets, wood? Maybe it is there and I missed it so I apologize in advance if I did. But all of these items can add up to quite a lot in time and money. This coupe was obviously your passion and it shows but I agree with the others posters, maybe bringatrailer or another venue besides CL would attract the right buyer.

d-ace

Reaction score
Just hard to understand, talking about a BMW for sale is one thing but a lengthily post on my advertising on Craigslist is not what I was asking about on here.

And believe me or anyone that has done a real ground up restoration starting with tank dropping is way way beyond replacing new glass, trim, rechroming of bumpers, headliner, leather, door cards, carpets, wood? Plus most of these parts need to be removed to paint the car correctly and most body shops replace the parts anyhow.

All CSI Euro cars need the front windshield replaced so does this one its patio window glass not safety glass replacement $220.
I have two sets of trim.
Wood is fine.
I would replace the headliner > cheap.
Seats leather the last time I checked less than $1000 for a kit from Germany one stitch
across the bottom of the seat is all that is needed by a shop.
Bumpers re-chromed if needed cheap.

I appreciate a suggestion such as “bringatrailer.com” I will post there “Thank You”.

Real ground up restoration to point this car is at now I have been told by three body shops should be about $45,000 - $55,000 and that’s not including the cost of the car. I am only asking $25K now takes it and I have $22K in car and parts, that’s $3,000 for body restoration and best of all for the buyer “no structural rust before paint”.

I have seen a 1970’s VW Busses in the last year sell for more than $25K why are these couples so cheap on here? These cars are the finest classic BMW’s ever built and you can be guarantee their not coming back after 40 years since production was started on the 3.0 CS-CSI-CSL ever again.
If interested in the CSI contact>
Bob 805-566-9154

tmason

Reaction score
Price of Ownership

I think in today's market nobody is interested in anything over $10,000 and it better be driveable for that price!It could be doubled dipped in 24K gold and the price could down maybe? I have seen friends spend 75K in a classic car and dump them for 10,000 to get the next car of their dreams.So if spend the next 15K to finisher her and drive the wheels off and than sell her for 12K you will have lost only 25K for all your memory's. So d-ace if you want to sell her don't put a price and let her go to a lucky new owner at what ever the market allows.And don't post on any sites if you can't take the input because I think there is one to many 0's on your price. :-( and that my two and half cents worth

d-ace

Reaction score
Unbelievably

“tmason”
“And don't post on any sites if you can't take the input.”

A little rude there pal, I think anyone would have and answer to this post %*@^!BS.
“tmason” outside of just being a smart-ass keyboard junky have you ever hands-on stripped down a CSI and structurally restore it and put it back together again, I did not think so!
For $10K I would just parts it out…………..
New discontinued OEM BMW parts.
Fenders $1300
Nose clip $1875
Wheel-wells ???
Rocker Panels > inside, sub-frame, outer and outer cover.
A complete new SS exhaust system with headers $1000
(4) new heavy duty Bilsteins shocks $200 per.
And on and on……….

Last edited:

bmw art car

Reaction score
bilstein shocks for the E9 cost $200,- a piece???
You over-payed (quoted?) those already by twice the price

alanmcg

Reaction score
wrong

'in todays market nobody interested in paying anything over $10k'?

by my count, peter (coupeking) has sold 3 cars in the last 3 months between $35k-$50k, one of them to me, and my coupe is the best value for money ive spent on a car in many years.

bmw art car

Reaction score
'in todays market nobody interested in paying anything over $10k'?

by my count, peter (coupeking) has sold 3 cars in the last 3 months between $35k-$50k, one of them to me, and my coupe is the best value for money ive spent on a car in many years.

The value of a car is something very individual. What your value of it maybe is not the value to the masses. Especially in times of recession. Then, luxury items, as very old cars, are the last thing People want to spend money on.

tmason

Reaction score
Sorry for being wrong

My CSA is 3.5K to 5K value(or Obama cash value 1K-2K most likely) and driving her wheels off but that little letter after the S really makes the value on these cars. And no I've never personally done a frame off restoration nor will I ever!(seen to many people lose ALOT of money and d-ace is just one, go to the auction at Hot August Nights if don't believe me) And if I ever win the lottery the the little L after the S is the 1st car I'll buy because there is value in the right car!
I didn't mean to be rude but the word bringatrailer to me means also bring very little cash!
Like everyone with cars you spend alot and lose even more when you sell unless it's the right car and I haven't had to much luck because I'm getting ready to upgrade the family car that I payed 40K and getting 4K trade in with a net lose of one Coupeking car.

d-ace

Reaction score
“bmw art car”
Heavy duty Bilsteins shocks even now days on the net struts are still around $150 plus shipping and tax in your state for a 1971 CSI. I paid at a local shop $178 for the struts plus tax and walked out with them right then and put them in myself that day.

Whatever a persons thinks these couples should sell for is just an opinion and mostly the opinion of someone just trying to buy one for dirt-cheap. And I disagree about restored CS BMW’s there is a big different in pricing. Or who would ever do the restoration work or pay to have it saved only to find it worth $10K. One fact these couples are never coming back and if not thoroughly restored (almost all to late now) all you are setting in is a time bomb of rust just waiting to fall apart.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
chill out CL police!

the classic car market is global so don't blame sellers for advertising widely. The E-type I own was in CT, FL & other east coast CL ads, but located in the midwest. As long as it's a legitimate car, what's the harm?

And since when are sellers scammers until proven innocent by the forum?

Chill out & turn down the paranoia.

John