1971 3.0CS Euro Model Restoration

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks so much for the tips on the trunk trim. I emailed Maxmillian already. I'm going to call those guys in Richmond too.

My latest problem is figuring out how to mount the seat belts. The PO had done some dodgy welding job to the roof. Totally unsafe. I need to figure something else out. I've read through this post and it helped a lot:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5451

But it didn't really give me a answer. It seems the best thing to do depends on your personal taste and local laws. Here in Australia I need to have a 3-point setup, and I'd like something that hides the belts as much as possible.

What have you guys done? Any suggestions?

alanmcg

Reaction score
3 pt seat belt

here is what i did. i bought a generic retractable seat belt online, $100.00 for the set, including all needed hardware. my car is a '74, and luckily there was a threaded seat/hole behind the back side panels that the seat belt screwed right into (if you car doesnt have that, it would easy to weld in the right sized nut). i then drilled a hole in the wood trim and attached the belt retainer that came with the seat belts with a nut behind the metal trim the wood screws to. it works great, looks clean, and feels much better to be securely belted in. i did have to modify the belt-reel thing, it was made to mount vertically, so i had to remove the little ball bearing that kept it from working when mounted horizontally - let me know if you do this and will give you a little more detail.

Attachments

• 1285177434846.jpg
    1285177434846.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 485
  • 1285177435044.jpg
    1285177435044.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 535
  • 1285177435276.jpg
    1285177435276.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 515

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hey Alan,
Thanks so much for the info. I found this helpful diagram from a Walloth & Nesch catalog that sums up what I think you did. I think we are going to do something something similar.

Selt_Belt_Detail.jpg

Ideally I'd like to put the re-tractor under the rear seat and run the belt behind the wall trim. But I'm not sure how difficult that will be. If you look at this post here, you can see how it could work.

-Drew

drewbaker

Reaction score
Got another crappy cell phone photo for you guys. Just got the rims back from the hydro blaster. Just going to put a nice clear coat on them now.

IMG_0069.jpg

I personally hate these rims, I'm trying to find a set of old 5-series wheels like these:

wheel.jpg

Does anyone have any leads on a set like this in the Melbourne area? What are your thoughts on non-stock rims?

fredp

Reaction score
How did you find getting parts from [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Walloth & Nesch to Australia? How expensive was the shipping?
[/FONT][/SIZE]

drewbaker

Reaction score
I found the shipping to be very reasonable. I think we orded a few thousand dollars worth of parts, and shipping was $200. We even had two rocker panels, which are like 6 feet long.

drewbaker

Reaction score
Finished Photos!

Hey Guys,
Sorry to lag on posting these.

These things are always a work in progress, but we now have "finished" the car and have been driving it around for almost 6 months now. So happy with it!

It's not a show car, but the idea was to get it to the point that it looked like a very well looked after driver. I think we did a good job.

finished2.jpg

The Nardi steering wheel and Becker radio (with AUX line in!).

finished3.jpg

finished4.jpg

finished5.jpg

finished6.jpg

finished1.jpg

This is how we ended up doing the seat belts. Still ugly, but the best option I think.