1971 3.0CS Euro Model Restoration

DAVE

Reaction score
You should take a look at the inner wheel arches(housing) behind the rear seat as they look welded and filled,they should be more defined, just a thought before you put it all back together?

Regards Dave

drewbaker

Reaction score
So we put in a big order with Walloth & Nesch today! Now all we need are the following parts (W&N didn't have them).

1. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Front [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]emblem [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Base - 51145780170 x 1[/FONT][/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]C-Pillar badge - 51141828851 x 2[/FONT][/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Screw Plug - 71111117440 x 1[/FONT][/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Trunk Toolbox lid - (Can't find actual part number, it should be in this diagram) x 1[/FONT][/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Switch Support - 51167780049 x 4[/FONT][/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Fillister head screw - 07119906410 x 8[/FONT][/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Right side dash metal trim - [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]51451810946 x 1[/FONT][/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Window crank cover - 51321875839 x 2[/FONT][/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Window crank screw - (Can't find actual part number, it's shown as part #8 in this diagram, but isn't listed) x 2[/FONT][/SIZE]
If anyone has in tips on where to track these down, let me know. Thanks!

drewbaker

Reaction score
For future referance, according to Walloth & Nesch there are some replacment part numbers for parts I asked for. It might be of use to someone else one day.

1. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]51145480181 - rear badge[/FONT][/SIZE]
    1. S[SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]ubstitute for old part [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]51141813833.[/FONT][/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]51131827285 - sticker set under wing grilles
    [/FONT][/SIZE]
    1. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Substitute for old parts [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]51131811149 and [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]51131811150.[/FONT][/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]51131400012 - set of clips for side wall grille
    [/FONT][/SIZE]
    1. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]S[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]ubstitute for old parts [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]07119906410 and [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]51131831395[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT][/SIZE]
-Drew

Last edited:

rb1971

Reaction score
Have you tried Jaymic.com? They had a lot of stuff that I needed but was tough to find anywhere else, and were great to deal with.

drewbaker

Reaction score
On another note. Our coupe's stick shift is very loose (side to side). I'm not sure what parts I'd need to fix this yet, but I was wondering if anyone sells a gear linkage kit. I've seen people selling things like that for the steering gears, but nothing for the transmission. What do you guys think? Any ideas?

-Drew

According to Walloth & Nesch, the parts needed to correct this problem are:

1. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Bushing for gearshift linkage - 23[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]411466120[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] x 2[/FONT][/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Bushing for gearshift stick - [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]23411466110[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] x 2[/FONT][/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Bushing for gearshift support - [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]25111202842 [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]x 2[/FONT][/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Support rubber gearbox - [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]23711102692[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] x 1[/FONT][/SIZE]
-Drew

drewbaker

Reaction score
Have you tried Jaymic.com? They had a lot of stuff that I needed but was tough to find anywhere else, and were great to deal with.

No, never heard of them. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

As a side note, Walloth & Nesch have been so good to deal with so far. Super fast to replay and efficient. If the parts turn out to be as good as their service, then I'd recommend them for everything.

drewbaker

Reaction score
Parts

More parts!

Hey guys, I thought I'd update you on how the parts shopping is going. We are about to put in an order at La Jolla motors for the following parts:

1. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Front [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]emblem [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Base - 51145780170 x 1[/FONT][/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]C-Pillar badge - 51141828851 x 2[/FONT][/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Screw Plug - 71111117440 x 1[/FONT][/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Fillister head screw - 07119906410 x 8[/FONT][/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Right side dash metal trim - [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]51451810946 x 1 (USED)
    [/FONT][/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Window crank cover - 51321875839 x 2[/FONT][/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Window crank screw - (Can't find actual part number, it's shown as part #8 in this diagram, but isn't listed) x 2[/FONT][/SIZE]

This means the only parts we still need to get are:

1. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Complete Trunk Toolbox Clam Shell - (Can't find actual part number, it should be in this diagram) x 1[/FONT][/SIZE]
  2. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Right side wheel well trunk trim - 51471810890 x 1[/SIZE][/FONT]
If anyone has these parts, let me know. If you know of a place with them in stock (not likely!) I'd love to hear about it.

-Drew

drewbaker

Reaction score
Thanks Steve. I really like the re-enforced ones Coupe Guy makes, but am hoping to find something less expensive. I know it's a rare part, but $400+ is crazy.

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Got the wood for the dash back from the wood guy (Mal Otto in Somers, Victoria). Looks great. It's darker than what it was (which was very worn out, so I'm not sure how dark it's supposed to be). But it matches the Nardi steering wheel perfectly, and with the Navy interior I think this is going to look amazing!

13092010050.jpg

13092010051.jpg

13092010052.jpg

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hey Chris,
I had them done at Otto Craft in Somers, Victoria (Australia). Call Mal on 0414609431. He's a friend of mine, so he wouldn't give me a price (yet - ahaha!).

Let me know how it goes.

-Drew

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I got a photo from my Dad via text message today. The dash is being installed! It's a ****ty photo from his phone, but I'm excited so I thought I'd post it.

IMG_0051.jpg

-Drew

TRIPPFONTAINE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Drew:

Thanks for the window onto your resto. Great stuff. Car is going to be sweet and that dash is looking sharp. I also brought a coupe (72 Csi) to Melbourne from the states seven years ago so we've plenty in common.
Pm me sometime and maybe we can compare notes. If you still gave the air dam and are willing to sell I might be interested in buying it off you.

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hey TRIPPFONTAINE,
Thanks, so awesome you did a similar thing. Do you still have the coupe?

We still have the airdam. It's been repainted and repaired and we will be selling it for sure.

Quick question. We need some hard to find parts. Did you ever track down a local supplier for 3.0CS parts? We are after these:

1. Complete Trunk Toolbox Clam Shell - (Can't find actual part number, it should be in this diagram) x 1
  2. Right side wheel well trunk trim - 51471810890 x 1
I think the trunk trim is going to be super expensive to ship internationally, so I'd like to find it locally.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
CS Parts In Melbourne

Have you tried Ajay in Butler St Richmond: Danny 9429 9513 and Bill 9429 9553

echappe

Reaction score
The right side trunk trim piece is now available through BMW mobile traditions (check your local dealership) Maximillian in the USA has each side for about $165 I believe. PN# 51471810889

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The new reproduction wheel well covers are more pliable and feel like rubber to the touch, not brittle like the original plastic covers so should be much easier to ship. You will want both sides or they may not match.