1971 BMW 2800 CS (San Jose Area)

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have to agree with Dick on the love part, and the large bird reference...
...or you could buy a totally sorted, hot 2002..it's more of a "sports car", and the e9 is more of a grand tourer (...to me, anyway, and I have both). And maintaining it is easier/cheaper than the e9 or the SC. Also less headaches and less stress. And I will bet that you get more smiles and less middle fingers, too.
Also a nicely sorted E3, I guess it depends on if you want a project or something more sorted out.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The photos make this a tempting car. The reports from the front, not so much. Reading this post and your seeming hesitation/conflict about an SC says to me this is not the car for you.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd agree w Dick on the 911. Though finding a decent one for 35k will be challenging and flat 6 engine issues can get quite expensive if you're not doing the work yourself. Having said that, they are fun to drive and once sorted are reliable.

I just happen to have a lovely 2002tii Touring for sale and I'm in the bay area ;)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What should this coupe be priced at?
Hagerty says $38,600 for a "fair" one.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 4.30.00 PM.png

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All great advice
This car would be my intro to European classics and best case be a fun weekend driver. I've owned old Japanese cars and enjoyed working on them, but really limited experience with carbs and no skill in cosmetic restoration. The car I saw was cosmetically fine for me and I don't have a nagging need to make it look much better, beyond the vinyl covered part of the trunk. The price is the main attraction (beyond the no sunroof and the looks and condition in general), and that I could be driving it while I fix things (once I get the brakes and carbs sorted) and make changes to make it mine (I'd be interested in a manual swap). My wife is supportive and we have a garage I've been paying for to keep it in that doesn't have anything in it now. I've always cross-shopped these with air-cooled 911's and am hesitant that I'm not getting as much of a fun sports car for weekend rallies if I'm honest. Looking at the cost of getting this running, it seems like I'd be up into 911 SC territory, which I'd honestly prefer, but have more time to spread that investment out and get to know the car before doing any major work. Would love any input into how good of a fit this car is for me.
One thing to consider as you decide if the E9 is right for you is something I dd not weigh into my decision. The E9 community on this site and the Bay Area is so helpful and has been such an added bonus to my beautiful 2800CS.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
All great advice

One thing to consider as you decide if the E9 is right for you is something I dd not weigh into my decision. The E9 community on this site and the Bay Area is so helpful and has been such an added bonus to my beautiful 2800CS.
I just talked to the seller. I was trying to nab it long-distance from Missouri and when I asked about title seller told me it is an open title and sent pics of a title with undated signatures of the owners on the face of the title. I don’t think it’s a scam or anything but I wasn’t comfortable trying to figure out the open title issue on the fly.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just talked to the seller. I was trying to nab it long-distance from Missouri and when I asked about title seller told me it is an open title and sent pics of a title with undated signatures of the owners on the face of the title. I don’t think it’s a scam or anything but I wasn’t comfortable trying to figure out the open title issue on the fly.
I think this is really not very smart of the seller...or anyone who buys a car to resell. It just creates a red flag for potential buyers. It is likely illegal and for sure unethical. If you are going to flip a car, complete the purchase transaction and register it in your name. Bake the registration cost into your price. No questions, no problems.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think this is really not very smart of the seller...or anyone who buys a car to resell. It just creates a red flag for potential buyers. It is likely illegal and for sure unethical. If you are going to flip a car, complete the purchase transaction and register it in your name. Bake the registration cost into your price. No questions, no problems.
I’m glad to read your take because I wasn’t sure if I am being too cautious and missing an opportunity. I suppose I may still be but I just didn’t want to risk getting stuck in a bad spot with the title.