1972 3.0 CSL For sale in Australia

Boobouna

Reaction score
There is one thing that I don’t understand about this. Perhaps someone from Australia can elaborate. If you are willing to spend $200K (usd) on a RHD CSL, why not consider importing. Even if you spend $15K on import costs, UK inventory gives you significantly more opportunities to find the right car.

Unfortunately import costs are not $15k as we have an import tax called Luxury Car Tax which blows out costs for anything over $65kAUD. So that $15k turns out to be $65k++ depending on price.
I’m not suggesting this car is cheap by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is one thing that I don’t understand about this. Perhaps someone from Australia can elaborate. If you are willing to spend $200K (usd) on a RHD CSL, why not consider importing. Even if you spend $15K on import costs, UK inventory gives you significantly more opportunities to find the right car.

Hi Markos,

Importing is not a cheap or easy proposition in Aus. Used to be easier in the past, but new taxes and regulations on older cars have made it unattractive..... $$$ at every turn now.

Not only does Govt. tax add about 25%+ to purchase price (luxury vehicle tax, stamp duty, import taxes etc), but we now have new draconian laws around asbestos removal (cars need to be fully inspected and certification provided by the overseas exporter. This can be expensive for the inspection reporting and any potential remedial works before it leaves its purchase country. Remedial costs (to remove any asbestos) can be almost open ended especially if unscrupulous people are involved, and it's not easy to manage this long distance). Then on top there are transport costs to ship the car from top of the world to the bottom. Then finally you have to get it inspected locally by an engineer for Aus compliance, and finally register it locally for our roads.

So for example you might purchase a nice RHD CSL for £100K in Britain (Aus $185K), but then landed it might have ended up costing Aus$275K. ++ stress, headaches and time to manage. Also you wouldn't want to buy a CSL without personally inspecting, so you'd probably want to fly to UK beforehand. That's a few thousand dollars from Aus.

So when you see a CSL in condition #1-#2 selling for circa Aus$300-350K OTR here in Aus there is a logic as to why they look expensive, but they can be driven straight off the sales lot.

Most rare classics seem to be circa 30-40% more expensive in Aus, not just CSLs. And especially the ones sold via dealers.

Last edited:

Boobouna

Reaction score
@Mal CSL 3.0

That is the context that we all needed. It puts the $300 AUD prices into perspective. Thanks!

Yes those asbestos removal laws are something I am facing currently as I import a bmw 1600GT into Australia. I haven’t received the final quote on removal costs yet but the hassle will most likely add $10-$15k on top of what I already paid for the car. Lucky I got the car itself for a cheap price (restoration project), otherwise it wouldn’t have been worth it. Fingers crossed the quote isn’t too expensive!!

inovermyhead

Reaction score
We had a guy come and give a talk to our local classic car club last year on the asbestos issue and the new importation laws, evidently any fibrous gasket is considered to contain it and some sound deadening products as well are considered suspect. If the car has drum brakes or early discs they are also at risk, so as I understand it pretty much be prepared for a full pull apart....

Cheers. John

Boobouna

Reaction score
Where is the asbestos on the 1600GT?

To start with gaskets, brake pads, seals and clutch linings. Then you need to check and test other areas such as heat shields, underbody deadening etc etc.

Boobouna

Reaction score
We had a guy come and give a talk to our local classic car club last year on the asbestos issue and the new importation laws, evidently any fibrous gasket is considered to contain it and some sound deadening products as well are considered suspect. If the car has drum brakes or early discs they are also at risk, so as I understand it pretty much be prepared for a full pull apart....

Cheers. John

Yes I have taken the cheapest option of removing and not replacing. Strip it all out. When it arrives at the port they will have nothing to test as it’s all gone.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
So when you see a CSL in condition #1-#2 selling for circa Aus$300-350K OTR here in Aus there is a logic as to why they look expensive, but they can be driven straight off the sales lot.

Mal, to put that in perspective… what new car can you buy for $300-350K today ? A 911 ? GT3 ?

GRKOALA

Peter K
Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally there appears to be some movement in the flooded Australian e9 market with Two listings today having “Hold” written next to them and showing “Sold” when clicked onto their link..

Attachments

• B9677FDF-2447-491C-B67A-DB41006F367E.png
    B9677FDF-2447-491C-B67A-DB41006F367E.png
    588 KB · Views: 501

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally there appears to be some movement in the flooded Australian e9 market with Two listings today having “Hold” written next to them and showing “Sold” when clicked onto their link..

I recommend pre-1983 for your saved search. BMW still has good stuff in 1982. :)

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what happens with those two.There might be a glut at the moment but it wont last.
Especially for higher quality cars or CSL's.

GRKOALA

Peter K
Site Donor
Reaction score
It seems we are down to three e9’s for sale on Carsales.com in Australia.
There two 1974 3.0csa ‘s ($79k and $95k) and one 1972 3.0CSL ($142k).
The other 3.0CSL seems to have sold.

Attachments

• 5FC951B9-5748-4DF7-BF87-E5BAAD2E0E8D.png
    5FC951B9-5748-4DF7-BF87-E5BAAD2E0E8D.png
    1 MB · Views: 400

Boobouna

Reaction score
It seems we are down to three e9’s for sale on Carsales.com in Australia.
There two 1974 3.0csa ‘s ($79k and $95k) and one 1972 3.0CSL ($142k).
The other 3.0CSL seems to have sold.

Verona car is still for sale. As I mentioned before carsales sold notifications are not to be trusted.

Reactions: Wes