1972 BMW E9 Coupe 3.0 CSL

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Surprised to see how ratty Terry's own car is!

Given the value of an authentic bat-wing CSL and Terry's generally strong reputation I was surprised to see how tatty the car looks and how sloppily it was taken care of (other than the motor). Still, it might be worth $30k...

John

wsk

Reaction score
not a bat

It's a genuine series 1 CSL (would have had a carbureted 2985 motor). Not a bat.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a genuine series 1 CSL (would have had a carbureted 2985 motor). Not a bat.

But really, without the original engine how gen-you-whine is it?

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
me wants, me can't have

The fact that it's so ratty, and so freaking yellow, and has that M engine, and is owned by my friend Terry Sayther who helped me cut my teeth on BMWs in Austin 27 years ago, makes it very appealing to me. But bidding is already out of my price range by a factor of three. Sigh.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love it but i am biased- bit rough round the edges but at leas they havent tried to underseal the bottom and cover up the condition.

If the conversion has been done well then its a steal sub $60k in my opinion.

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Engine

From the valve cover stamping (M Power) looks like a Euro M88 rather than a US S38 (BMW M Power). Just an observation. Agree with others it is hard to guage value. And you fix up the body and interior and you still have the engine swap.

But the the lure of the golf yellow. . .

rb1971

Reaction score
Well I can tell you from (almost finished) experience that you can't do a full restoration with S38B38 conversion for less than $60k unless you can do all the work yourself. Parts alone could run almost that much.

Seems a shame to put such a powerhouse into a less-than-perfect body, but if the swap is done right there is some value in that. Hard to say how much it would cost to make it perfect. But as a lover of those weird 60s/70s colors it's tough for me not to love.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the car. Pity the bidding is being jacked up by "the biz guys", same ones who a year or so ago would be pointing to all the "flaws." Came close to declaring it an honest car, but looking at the flicker fotos, I can honestly say I have never seen a vin tag with such unusual stamp fonts. Is that 2211372 "engraved"? And (I confess) I cannot even remember if the early carbed cars I have seen had an "L" stamped next to the "Type" silkscreen or not. I'd like to see a foto of the firewall stamping and surrounding metal. I'd like to find a car like this one somewhere other than eBay...or e9coupe dot com!

2275xxx

Reaction score
Belgian cars had specific VIN tags.

Attachments

• Belgium 01.jpg
    Belgium 01.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 185

2275xxx

Reaction score

wsk

Reaction score
Interesting!

That would be a fun thing to research. But unfortunately I don't think it would do much to restore the value of the car given the motor and gearbox substitution. I'm curious to see what it will sell for!

RonP

Reaction score
So, here is an update on this car....a good friend/client of mine called me about this car right when it came up on ebay. Since he already lives in Austin, I told him to go down there with a list of things to look for, and asked him to take some photos for me so we could assess the value of the car. Once he arrived at Terry's shop, he was treated like a P.O.S. by Terry, and not that this matters or has any bearing on things, but he has an immaculate super low mileage Z8 and a 40k mile e28 M5. I guess what I am getting at is that he isn't a slouch, never owned a BMW, or didn't know what he was looking at, let alone being a potential client for Terry!!!!

We discussed the car at length and I gave him what I thought was a fair "ceiling" to pay for the car. So, here is where the story gets interesting.....some other "buyer" was supposedly trying to buy Terry's M1 and said he would buy/bid on the CSL as well as a package. My buddy came just shy of the $60k mark and was outbid and we chalked it up as just one of those things that we missed out on.

A week or so later, he gets a call from Terry with this back story and he admits the guy was going to buy the car(s) and he would offer the car to my friend for $50k. He then calls me and we discuss a new strategy which in the end worked out! Happy ending, right? Wrong!

My friend is a day trader with several accounts and there was a hold up or issue with the title, so no funds were transferred until my friend was satisfied that he would receive a clean title in exchange for this money. Once that was settled, he began to transfer funds to buy the car. He had been working with one of Terry's employees (Rhet) which was very accommodating and shielded him from Terry whom has been an ass since day one. I guess the funds wouldn't arrive (for whatever reason) until next Tuesday, so Terry then throws a hissy fit, tells my buddy the deal is off and he is putting the car back on ebay today!

Now, my friend is a bit conservative but that is probably why he has the money to buy these cars. What does Terry think he is going to gain here? He had a cash buyer in his back yard with cash?

I told my buddy that there will be another CSL!

Just thought you all might want to know what you would be dealing with should you have an interest in this car. After looking at the pics, and knowing the hood was now a steel hood, it must have been whacked pretty good as the lower front valance now has holes in it to accept a front bumper. Ouch!!!!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like you and friend did okay here

It doesn't sound like the Terry Sayther of old...

If Terry had a signed bill of sale he should have just chilled out and given the buyer a chance to work things out. After all, this is not money you carry around in your jeans everyday (well, not me). Bank transfers can be finicky things and 4-5 business days doesn't seen unreasonable.

Maybe you and friend are better off without Terry's CSL...

John

RonP

Reaction score
John,

I have always heard great things about Terry, maybe something happened to me. I have a friend that has owned his Indy BMW facility for 25+ years and he is a little bitter these days too. And, yes you are right about bank transfers these days. I am hopeful that Terry will regret his decision as it is shameful. My friend is also a member of this community as well.