1972 body parts needed urgently

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have just become the proud owner of a 72 e9 cs (automatic) coupe which has sadly had a mild bump to the front which means I need a new centre grille, front valance trim and a good used bumper or the name of somewhere that can straighten it. Car is in Dallas Texas but will be shipped to Australia asap after I have the parts which can be shipped with the car. It will go out of LA CAL. car I guess is a daily driver so used parts if in good order are OK.
Does the front grille from an E3 fit?
Not essential but from the photos ( I bought the car unseen due to no travel possible) I have noticed the window seal between the two side windows look very ordinary as well (Not the small front quarterlight window) so two of those would be great to have as well.
All and any leads will be greatly appreciated. Seasons Greetings to all irrespective of creed, colour or religion! lets just all try and live together in Peace and Harmony
Phil Martin Australia

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Phil, Congrats on your purchase. Did someone inspect the car for you prior to buying it? The e3 grille is the same, they have ten slats, not 8 as on later e3s though. BMW sells that rear quarter window seal.

Reaction score
Hi HB Chris, many thanks for your reply and where to source a grille. I was hoping to find a good used one if possible. No, I did not have the car inspected. OK, maybe a bit foolhardy but difficult to arrange when even the people you employ to do it may not be any good anyway. i did focus on rust issues particularly the rockers and they look very sound with no holes so figured that was a good sign. Any other rust was easily seen and highlighted in photos. Usual spots in door corners but none around the glass front and back or waist so looks pretty good. Cheers mate

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Phil. I have a friend that is selling a very nice near excellant chrome used front bumper. Three pieces include two corners and center. $650 plus shipping.
He also has a NEW stainless steel front bumper . FIVE PIECES INCLUDE TWO CORNERS, CENTER, AND TWO HORNS. ALSO PRICED AT $650 PLUS SHIPPING. I MAY BE ABLE TO GET YOU A USED KIDNEY GRILLE.
PLEASE PM ME YOUR EMAIL AND ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE.
THANKS ad Welcome to the E9 Forum.
Harry.

Reaction score
Was the coupe on eBay, Craigslist, BaT, other? Do you have a pic?
Hi, here are a couple of pics, not good ones. I have about 40 photos in all. Believe it is a Texas car all its life. Showing around 47000 miles (possibly rolled over odometer) but interior does not look like a circa 150000 mile car so who knows Have they a 5 or 6 digit odometer? . Original factory rims come with car with centres. Cheers Phil

Attachments

• bmw side front.jpg
    bmw side front.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 207
  • bmw front.jpg
    bmw front.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 217
  • bmw interior.jpg
    bmw interior.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 213

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Man, that front bump looks like my car.

Header panel looks repairable, but W&N makes a good one.

Have you checked ebay for a front bumper and grilles?

Reaction score
Hey Rob, my car has lived with the last owner at least for the last 9/10 years in Texas. Have seen couple of grilles on Ebay but were a bit ratty. Ditto a bumper bar. I will buy one or the other if I am beaten for time ( I have 1955 Ford Thunderbird waiting in Paramount CA waiting to be shipped and its cheaper for me if they go together). but where the car is now he reckons the bumper is only twisted so should be able to be straightened.
What do you guys think about values for these cars on Hagerty Insurance? Bit high?
Thanks again everybody for your responses as I was feeling a bit in the wilderness before joining the forum. Regards Phil

Reaction score
Hi Wes, I live near Ballina Northern NSW (near Byron Bay). 1 hour south of qld border.
Do you just have the bare bumper or does it have the rubber inserts etc including over riders?
Will be good to hear from you.
May I ask what model you have?
Cheers Phil

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That front chrome trim is going to be tough to find.

The BMW replacements I hear fit like crap (I bought one, but haven't tried to fit it yet while by header is still damaged).

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Wes, I live near Ballina Northern NSW (near Byron Bay). 1 hour south of qld border.
Do you just have the bare bumper or does it have the rubber inserts etc including over riders?
Will be good to hear from you.
May I ask what model you have?
Cheers Phil
Think I have a complete front bumper assembly with the over riders.
I've a 72 CS and a 72 CSL.

Reaction score
Hi Wes, you certainly are a lucky man to have to CS but to have a CSL must be unreal!
I assume you might like to sell the bumper? If so, how much are you asking and how can we have this discussion off the forum? Cheers Phil 0403224750

Reaction score
That front chrome trim is going to be tough to find.

The BMW replacements I hear fit like crap (I bought one, but haven't tried to fit it yet while by header is still damaged).
Are you talking about the thin strip that goes around the front of the valance in front of the hood? i think I can get an original used one. Phil