1973 3.0 CS - 35K miles

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde, that is exactly what I have as well and I just posted the pics a few minutes ago. Check out the picasa link.

So Arde, does that mean it's the original windshield?

Shawn

I believe you and me have original glass, US spec original. Why original glass is a big deal I am not sure, glass does not rust, so it only means the car was not in a big wreck that broke glass.

That auto revs nicely, my ZF shifted earlier than that but it was on its last legs...

What do you know about the history, this plot thickens... There has to be a good mechanic caring for the car that has the files on it.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
It might help if you put up an asking price if you are serious about selling the car. At least a ballpark? You know what you paid for the car and by now am sure you have a very good idea of what it might be worth. You said you are going to list it on E-bay so I assume you do have a price in mind.

calshamus

Reaction score
Arde, I guess the windshield isn't a huge deal, although I'd imagine most couples don't have the original one. It's another point for originality and further support of 35K original miles.

Verde2002, I'm asking $35K-$40K depending on what happens with the AC this week. I've been told I could get more, since this is one of the lowest mileage coupes in existence, but I'm not looking to wring every dollar out of it. I just want to move it quickly before the rains start and get another coupe to start driving/wrenching on.

Shawn

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would think it is worth more also. For the asking price I would be surprised if it didn't sell quickly. Good luck.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Offers will start coming once the story from the UK owner is published.
It must be a long saga if the fellow cannot type it in an email until he unpacks...
Interesting car. In the meantime you could start the 5 speed conversion, which will be valuable even if you sell.

Good luck.

calshamus

Reaction score
If I do the 5 speed conversion, I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere.

I'm already starting to do work on the car, thus starting the "relationship" and getting attached. ;-p I just tuned it up yesterday, didn't want to pay the shop in Kelowna for that, and it's running even better than in the video. I'm sending off for electronic ignition, carb rebuild kits, a few little interior pieces today. Off the AC shop now.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are the front seats leather or vinyl with the houndstooth pattern? Is the paint original or repainted and stickers/VIN plate relocated to the blower cover plate? Nice survivor!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I do the 5 speed conversion, I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere.

I'm already starting to do work on the car, thus starting the "relationship" and getting attached. ;-p I just tuned it up yesterday, didn't want to pay the shop in Kelowna for that, and it's running even better than in the video. I'm sending off for electronic ignition, carb rebuild kits, a few little interior pieces today. Off the AC shop now.

I'd convert to 5speed and keep it. Not sure why you would want to look for one that needs work when you have an appreciating asset. Just make sure any resto mod stuff is reversible.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the paint original or repainted and stickers/VIN plate relocated to the blower cover plate? Nice survivor!
I had the same question. Also noticed the tar sheets On top the front towers are no longer there. Wouldn't it be very difficult to peel those off and leave no trace unless it's repainted?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The VIN plate and A/C decal must have been moved when it was repainted, all coupes came with the tar sheets. The vinyl seats make sense with a Canadian delivery as Hoffman did not have the rights to Canada. If he did they would have been leather. All in all a very clean coupe.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I rode in a canadian spec car as a youth, (I think it was a 72') it had leather.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
My first coupe (72 Ceylon/black) bought back in 1988 was a Canadian delivered car. It had a vinyl interior.

calshamus

Reaction score
You guys know more about this stuff than I. This is my first E9. I've had it professionally inspected, and multiple E9 guys look it over, and I'm certainly open to anyone inspecting the car.

Converting the car to a 5 speed, or not, isn't why I'm considering selling. I'm actually quite OK with the auto. It's faster than a recent 4 speed car I test drove and I like to drink coffee and stuff while I drive. I'm not barreling through twisting roads on a daily basis. That 1000 mile cruise was pretty awesome, the car was fine as-is. It's that I plan on driving this car almost daily, rain or shine. Although we get pretty good weather in Cali it does rain on occasion, and I'd feel guilty not "respecting" a 35K original mile car. In addition, I'd remove the stock Blaupunkt stereo, put speakers in the doors, etc., again I'd feel a bit guilty altering a time capsule, albeit tastefully.

That said, its been over a week since I posted and not one serious buyer. I'm good either way. I've ordered some parts and might just "ride on" and not look back. I've decided I'm not even going to list it on ebay. I don't relish the idea of being back in the market trying to find a solid E9 that hasn't been hacked after being around the block for 40+ years. My motivation is less about selling it, and more about preserving it. If it's not, then good for me. (This is not meant to sound crass, just conveying I'm cool with keeping it, I know what it is.)

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think Canadian coupes could have leather or vinyl, their importer was not like Hoffman who insisted on leather. Maybe some without A/C as well. Canada did get all of the US/DOT mods that the US got though like side markers, 73 bumpers, etc.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Submitted to BAT...

I suggest if you want to move the car, take many, many photos. Things like inside the rockers, under the dash by the fuse panel, many views from a hoist. That is what would sell me a special Coupe.

execmalibu

Reaction score
I just do not understand why the E9 Market is dead!

E9s are dead in the water!!!

Here is offered for sale the right car (3.0CS), the right year (72), a great color(Fjord), the right options (Power Windows, Air, Sunroof) described and verified by the experts as a super nice car with ultra low miles (35,000) and it is still for sale! It makes no sense...

If that car was a Porsche 912 it would have sold in a minute... If it were a 911T it would have sold in a second... If the car was a 911S it would have sold in a Nano Second with a hundred over asking price offers!

Why are E9s still so dead when the entire collector car market is on FIRE?