1973 3.0CS

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steven Dortch, Lakeway, TX, via Bay area resident. I've owned 02's for 25 years +/-(72, 73, 74, 75) and a 87 E28 535is. Currently own a 330i. Now I'm venturing in the E9 world. I'm hoping there's some similarities that I am not totally starting over on the learning curve. I've agreed in principle to purchase an E9 in Miami, Florida. Apparently Florida is not allowing non-essential shipping out of state. My plan is to have the vehicle thoroughly inspected by a local vintage BMW specialty shop, Terry Sayther's. He has worked on my 73 02 in past. I'm not sure when it's going to show up but I'm trying to learn as much as I can before it arrives. Looking forward to learn for this forum and its members. Below is what my new purchase is supposed to look like...View attachment 89663View attachment 89664
Not to add to the bad news, but there are no restrictions in place about shipping cars. I just sold my Triumph TR2 on BaT the other day and Montway just came to pick it up yesterday from Fort Myers, FL to take it to the new owner in Billings, MT.

LNGBRD

Reaction score
@LNGBRD ... for some reason your name (Steven Dortch) seems very familiar. were you previously on the e30 m3 SIG?
That been my name all my life. I have never owned an e30/M3, but I would like to have owned an M3. Currently own a 06' 330i, waiting on an e9. I used to live in the Bay area 15+ years ago where I owned 02's, and 535is and a MINI.

Sorry.

Steven

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
no, there is nothing wrong with the math
4 + 50% (2) = 6
there is a difference between counting up or reducing - for instance 4 is 67% of 6 ... 6 is 50% more than 4

(edit) oops, i see Steve has already responded.

LNGBRD

Reaction score
I would alert the authorities and your bank. I know for a fact that these photos are old and circulated. Feel free to PM me to let me know where you found the car for sale. I saw the first scam with these photos from a FS site like oodle.com.

Hey Markos,
I want to thank you for heads up. I appreciate you catching this possible scam.

I spoke Peter Coomaraswamy just a bit ago and said I should make cont▪︎act with you. That you know stuff. He suggested l give you the VIN, 2240904 is what I have. Here's where I at now.

I went to the bank yesterday conducting other business and I spoke the banker that handled the transaction. Told her of the possibility that this was scam situation and what are my recourse options. Essentially, she sent money from my account to the escrow account # I gave her, which was the one they gave me. Recipient sent back a confirmation money was received. Assuming it's not a bank holiday Monday, I'll bank at her desk to make it an official inquiry. I sent an email to the shipping company Friday wanting to have tangible evidence that they have the vehicle. If it is in route where is it and when will it be in Austin. I needed immediate action on their part. If they could not I would sending them another email cancelling the entire deal. Per their contract they have 48hrs to refund my money. Of course this based on everything being legitimate. Let met know about the vin, I couldn't find anything. Thanks for what you have done already, anything more will be great.

Steven Dortch keep safe.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I know that there are alot of people, besides me, that really hope this works out in your favor, one way or another. There are enough things wrong about the country and the planet right now. A win would be nice for you. And for us rooting for you.

Stay safe, and be healthy.

LNGBRD

Reaction score
I know that there are alot of people, besides me, that really hope this works out in your favor, one way or another. There are enough things wrong about the country and the planet right now. A win would be nice for you. And for us rooting for you.

Stay safe, and be healthy.
Thanks appreciate the forum's support.

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
Hello @LNGBRD,

Please be careful with your purchase. The car listed in the photos that you posted has been used for scam FS ads. The pictures are at least 3-4 years old. I would ask for updated pictures, with something of your choosing included in the photo.

If I had to guess - Florida has no shipping restriction and someone is using COVID-19 to legitimize a scam. Vehicles are not shipped, they are transported. The interstates haven’t been shut down, but FL was monitoring travelers into the state.
This is scary. I think about when I bought my coupe Which I found looking at this site, I could have totally been scammed. What can/should someone do to protect themselves from a scam? What can a buyer do (insist on) to ensure a good safe sale?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is scary. I think about when I bought my coupe Which I found looking at this site, I could have totally been scammed. What can/should someone do to protect themselves from a scam? What can a buyer do (insist on) to ensure a good safe sale?
There are coupers on this forum all over the country. Have one of them lay eyes on any car you want to buy. Dirk and DWM are both in Miami, for example. If anyone wants to check out a coupe in Lee, Collier, or Charlotte county Florida, I would be happy to do so.
Scott

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Markos,
I want to thank you for heads up. I appreciate you catching this possible scam.

I spoke Peter Coomaraswamy just a bit ago and said I should make cont▪︎act with you. That you know stuff. He suggested l give you the VIN, 2240904 is what I have. Here's where I at now.

I went to the bank yesterday conducting other business and I spoke the banker that handled the transaction. Told her of the possibility that this was scam situation and what are my recourse options. Essentially, she sent money from my account to the escrow account # I gave her, which was the one they gave me. Recipient sent back a confirmation money was received. Assuming it's not a bank holiday Monday, I'll bank at her desk to make it an official inquiry. I sent an email to the shipping company Friday wanting to have tangible evidence that they have the vehicle. If it is in route where is it and when will it be in Austin. I needed immediate action on their part. If they could not I would sending them another email cancelling the entire deal. Per their contract they have 48hrs to refund my money. Of course this based on everything being legitimate. Let met know about the vin, I couldn't find anything. Thanks for what you have done already, anything more will be great.

Steven Dortch keep safe.

Did you hire the shipping company, or did the seller?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm right there with @craterface ... if you are looking at a car, it makes sense to contact somebody on this forum who is near a car. there are a couple of us here in Atlanta and i know there are plenty of others around the country. if nothing else, we might be able to steer you to a shop to do a good PPI.

@LNGBRD i truly hope this works out for you

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Essentially, she sent money from my account to the escrow account # I gave her, which was the one they gave me. Recipient sent back a confirmation money was received. Assuming it's not a bank holiday Monday, I'll bank at her desk to make it an official inquiry. I sent an email to the shipping company Friday wanting to have tangible evidence that they have the vehicle. If it is in route where is it and when will it be in Austin. I needed immediate action on their part. If they could not I would sending them another email cancelling the entire deal.

@LNGBRD,

Given that the car is purportedly from Langley, WA and is said to reside in FL, ask yourself why the seller blanked out California plates. I would go into Monday stating explicitly that this is a scam, not that it ‘may’ be a scam. I wouldn’t cancel the deal with the seller, I would see if you can stop payment at the bank. Next, see who you can reach out to with help on wire fraud.