1973 3.0CS

LNGBRD

Reaction score
@LNGBRD,

Given that the car is purportedly from Langley, WA and is said to reside in FL, ask yourself why the seller blanked out California plates. I would go into Monday stating explicitly that this is a scam, not that it ‘may’ be a scam. I wouldn’t cancel the deal with the seller, I would see if you can stop payment at the bank. Next, see who you can reach out to with help on wire fraud.
Excellent observation. I used 'may' because on Friday I was feeling much more optimistic that it could be a 'may'. However, today it has morphed into 'is'.

LNGBRD

Reaction score
An interesting side note is I was looking a another car before this one and it too was an out of state (Minnesota) car. The seller was/is a lady who was working in Europe for a telecom company and she handling the sale in the same fashion. She had a transfer agent selected and money managed escrow Ed the same way, although a different company. It was a 70, 2800 CS.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
An interesting side note is I was looking a another car before this one and it too was an out of state (Minnesota) car. The seller was/is a lady who was working in Europe for a telecom company and she handling the sale in the same fashion. She had a transfer agent selected and money managed escrow Ed the same way, although a different company. It was a 70, 2800 CS.

These scams are all based on the same premise, founded on the owner being away from the car. If the car is for sale on a legitimate platform, it will likely get posted here. Very few slip through the eyes of enthusiasts. I would limit my North American search to:
  • BaT
  • eBay
  • Facebook
  • Craigslist
  • Hemmings
  • Kijiji
  • Legitimate & trusted auto broker
  • Legitimate & trusted auction house
I’m missing a few, but you get the idea. You aren’t getting the leg up by finding listings on no-name classified sites.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These scams are all based on the same premise, founded on the owner being away from the car. If the car is for sale on a legitimate platform, it will likely get posted here. Very few slip through the eyes of enthusiasts. I would limit my North American search to:
  • BaT
  • eBay
  • Facebook
  • Craigslist
  • Hemmings
  • Kijiji
  • Legitimate & trusted auto broker
  • Legitimate & trusted auction house
I’m missing a few, but you get the idea. You aren’t getting the leg up by finding listings on no-name classified sites.
Add the Cars for Sale from this forum.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this a good or bad thing? Does it imply 2240904 is legit? I guess it could be an still be a scam.

2240904 is definitely a valid VIN, but I presume that you don’t have pics of it in all three locations. Time will tell if it is a factory Polaris car. I have an inquiry in, but BMW is behind on responses due to the pandemic (per their auto response). I believe that they rifle through paper records so we may not hear back for weeks.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just send the "seller" a pic of your new avatar and tell him that, oh, by the way, this is you BEFORE applying makeup. You should get your money back pretty quick.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, can you go over step by step from the beginning how this "transaction" happened? Where you found it, how you contacted the seller, how they contacted you back, how much they required for deposit, which company is holding the money, time frames, etc, etc? I got confused right away when it was suppose to be in Miami (shipping problems) but later said to be in WA.

Doing this may or may not help you get your money back (I think you've been taken), but it may certainly help someone else in the future. Others learning from your mistake maybe. Scams are happening all over the internet more and more and they're getting a LOT more sophisticated. You are definitely not the only one.

Last edited:

LNGBRD

Reaction score
Just send the "seller" a pic of your new avatar and tell him that, oh, by the way, this is you BEFORE applying makeup. You should get your money back pretty quick.
IMG_20200112_015344_286.jpg

Last edited:

LNGBRD

Reaction score
You e9 Coupe guys/gals are the best, as they said in Wayne's World, "... I'm not worthy..." thanks. And...
4ba86bef67c63ca756854712b2f56ff4.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steven, there's a special place in hell for people who do this to good people. most of us would never dream of this happening or that somebody could be so cruel to make money in this manner. my mother (in her late 80's) has been taken a few times ... generally less than 5k, but once around 20k ... they caught that pair in south florida.

i know i speak for all, lets find this guy ...

LNGBRD

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, can you go over step by step from the beginning how this "transaction" happened? Where you found it, how you contacted the seller, how they contacted you back, how much they required for deposit, which company is holding the money, time frames, etc, etc? I got confused right away when it was suppose to be in Miami (shipping problems) but later said to be in WA.

Doing this may or may not help you get your money back (I think you've been taken), but it may certainly help someone else in the future. Others learning from your mistake maybe. Scams are happening all over the internet more and more and they're getting a LOT more sophisticated. You are definitely not the only one.

So pleased to serve the other "rookies". I've purchased several vehicles from the internet and must have been "dumb-lucky" in the past.
  • CarDealFinder.com, located vehicle, contacted the seller,
  • 03/04/20, Paul Hampton. Seller
  • 03/05/20 Paul H. emails the car was delivered to customer in Miami for COD, couldn't pay.
  • 03/14/20 Paul H. emails and price set. Includes escrow/shipping agent company, Starx-shipping LLC. States they will send the details on how-to set up the escrow account and the process involved in the sale.
  • 03/17/20 Paul H. Price finalized.
  • 03/17/20 Paul H. Requests to be notified when account is set up with Starx.
  • 03/18/20 Paul H. Asks if Starx has sent the paperwork to set up account.
  • 03/18/20 Starx-shipping sends contract. It states that there is a 7 day inspection period once vehicle is delivered to accept or reject the car. Should the vehicle not meet expectations upon notification Starx will refund the full amount within 48 hrs of return of the vehicle.
  • 03/18/20 account is established, money transfer executed by WFB to BA.
  • 03/18/20 Receipt of wire transfer and copy of shipping order with proper address, Tracking number matching on both documents.
  • 03/19/20 Paul H. Sends acknowledgement of payment in account, thanks me for notifying him.
  • 03/19/20 information that from Starx that the account has to be in for a couple days before shipping can begin.
  • 03/25/20 states payment in place and shipping should begin soon.
  • 03/26/20 Starx says the virus has caused delays. They would keep me updated. (no, they haven't).
  • 04/10/20 I asked Starx, What's the hold up? It's been more than a month. I need tangible evidence that there is an actual vehicle in your possession. If it is, is it in route? Where is it now? When will it arrive in Lakeway, TX.
  • Visited bank just last Friday, spoke to banker that handled the transfer she didn't have much to offer.
Here we are today.

Last edited:

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I may be being naive, but can/would the Feds be of any help..anyone here have any friends with the Fibbies? I would at least call your regional office. ...perhaps I read too many spy novels about tracking funds, smart young hackers, account trails, and such, but this is why they have cyber units...
Best of luck at this tough time.